Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bjh1414

macrumors member
Sep 10, 2009
ive seen the yellow at best buy, so i dont think it is, but it does say that on the apple store...?

OutSpoken

macrumors 6502a
Jun 9, 2009
UK
I recently noticed they are not charging extra for these apple exclusives... Like they did with the Red 4G.

If I had known I would of probably bought the Red, since I think it looks lovely...but Ive grown fond of my silver now....so I may just stick....

The thing that concerns me with my silver is that the paint on the select button seems a little unmatched to the rest of the finish, its noticeable from certain angles...is that normal?

I have until Sunday to return it.

Consultant

macrumors G5
Jun 27, 2007
I recently noticed they are not charging extra for these apple exclusives... Like they did with the Red 4G.

If I had known I would of probably bought the Red, since I think it looks lovely...but Ive grown fond of my silver now....so I may just stick....

The thing that concerns me with my silver is that the paint on the select button seems a little unmatched to the rest of the finish, its noticeable from certain angles...is that normal?

Exclusive is different than Special Edition.

anjinha

macrumors 604
Oct 21, 2006
San Francisco, CA

The difference is that the Red was a special edition. The "exclusiveness" of the yellow (supposedly) just means that it's only sold directly from Apple.

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005
My theory, not that it's trademarked or anything, is that it is a color that they wanted to bring out but were unsure how it would appeal to consumers. I finally saw it in person yesterday and it wasn't bad but it wasn't my thing. I think many consumers may share the sentiment. That being said, if it's an online only deal then they can make less and have less to try and unload at the end of the 5G lifecycle.

Unspoken Demise

macrumors 68040
Apr 16, 2009
>9,000
My theory, not that it's trademarked or anything, is that it is a color that they wanted to bring out but were unsure how it would appeal to consumers. I finally saw it in person yesterday and it wasn't bad but it wasn't my thing. I think many consumers may share the sentiment. That being said, if it's an online only deal then they can make less and have less to try and unload at the end of the 5G lifecycle.

Its a good theory. You should trademark it. :)

Its a good marketing strategy on their part.

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005
I don't think it's marketing, I think it's playing it safe with inventory. When you need to limit supply it's best to control the outlets where it is sold. Instead of having to stock every store with say 100 units you can stock your warehouse with 100 units and push more out as needed.

Unspoken Demise

macrumors 68040
Apr 16, 2009
>9,000
I don't think it's marketing, I think it's playing it safe with inventory. When you need to limit supply it's best to control the outlets where it is sold. Instead of having to stock every store with say 100 units you can stock your warehouse with 100 units and push more out as needed.

Or, if you'd like, you could halt all production and tag it as a limited edition later down the road. (I meant that towards the electronics industry as a whole, not necessarily apple.)

OutSpoken

macrumors 6502a
Jun 9, 2009
UK
The difference is that the Red was a special edition. The "exclusiveness" of the yellow (supposedly) just means that it's only sold directly from Apple.

ah ha...I see...

However the 5G Red is still a 'Product Red' edition listed online as Apple store exclusive, but no cost difference:confused:

jaw04005

macrumors 601
Aug 19, 2003
AR

Yup. I think they're wanting to avoid a gold iPod mini situation.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/magazine/4294061.stm

Apple has traditionally experimented with oddball colors as both retail SKUs and online store exclusives. The flower power and blue dalmatian iMacs were retail SKUs, but the key lime iBook was an online store exclusive.

Attachments

• 6709125_cf55659f5d.jpg
    6709125_cf55659f5d.jpg
    18.5 KB · Views: 64
  • new_imacs.jpg
    new_imacs.jpg
    20 KB · Views: 58
  • iBook_lime_tent-535.jpg
    iBook_lime_tent-535.jpg
    20.3 KB · Views: 60
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.