Why is there no HDMI input on the iMac!?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by agr5, Dec 23, 2009.

1. macrumors member

I really want to buy a 27" iMac i5 but I am not going to do so until Apple puts a HDMI input on the machine. I feel that it is unacceptable that they didn't include one already. I mean the screen is gorgeous and should be able to be used for a display for a HDMI device.

Apple put HDMI input on the iMac!!!! and I would gladly spend $2000+ on your machine :)

2. Guest

spinnerlys

Then you'll probably have to wait forever.

DisplayPort is more advanced than HDMI so Apple won't jump on that technology.

3. macrumors 604

BaldiMac

4. macrumors 68040

bigjnyc

Apple made the decision to go with displayport sorry. Look for an alternative monitor with HDMI, there are plenty on the market.

5. thread starter macrumors member

I know there are plenty on the market... Thats why I don't know why Apple won't do it.

6. macrumors 604

BaldiMac

That's just silly. An adaptor is $12.

7. thread starter macrumors member

If it's more advanced then why can't I run a PS3, 360 or Bluray player through it?

I don't think a $12 adapter will allow you to run a PS3 on the display...

8. macrumors 604

BaldiMac

Why not?

9. thread starter macrumors member

If it will then why is there a huge thread of people trying to figure out how to use the iMac as a display for a ps3, 360 or bluray player?? I would think a $12 adapter would have been tried already.

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=806175

10. macrumors 601

themoonisdown09

11. thread starter macrumors member

12. Moderator

dejo

Staff Member

Probably because Apple would rather put its weight behind a royalty-free standard like DisplayPort than a royalty-due one like HDMI.

13. thread starter macrumors member

Alright well, if they don't want to use HDMI, then at least make it easy to use the computer as a display.

14. macrumors Core

miles01110

Why should they? You seem to have a very strong sense of how things "should" be.

15. thread starter macrumors member

Um...okay :confused: Whats wrong with that?

And I only said "should" once

16. macrumors Core

miles01110

Because you also don't seem to accept that other people feel differently, especially those that can do anything about the situation. If you really wanted an HDMI input on your machine, you shouldn't have bought an iMac. It's not like it was a secret that there's no HDMI.

17. thread starter macrumors member

Did you even read the OP? It clearly states I want to purchase one, not that I did purchase one...

Also, if other people don't want to use the computer as a display for PS3, 360 or bluray player they don't have too. I just think it should be an option.

18. macrumors 601

Yvan256

The main thing is, a monitor usually lasts a lot longer than a computer. Given the size of the display on the iMacs, a video input to use the iMac as a monitor would be a green option, i.e. recycle your iMac into a monitor.

19. macrumors 68000

20. macrumors newbie

Seriously? You're going to hold off on buying an entire computer because you can't use it as monitor for your TiVo?

21. macrumors 68030

skubish

That's the beauty of the displayport you can you any connection you want.
    want VGA...got it
    want DVI...got it
    want HDMI...got it (use a DVI to HDMI adapter)

Apple doesn't want a hundred different connects on the back of an iMac.

22. macrumors 6502

DisplayPort is the biggest failure Apple has signed on to, almost as big of a failure as firewire.

No control via CEC (one of the most innovative features of HDMI), no YCC, and piss poor bandwidth (LOL, 8.6 gb maximum at only 2 meters?).

HDMI 1.3a trounces the junk that is called DisplayPort. Expect Apple to move over soon, when they also add Blu Ray.

Apple fails miserably in the home theater department.

23. macrumors 6502

Some people would like to be able to hear what they're watching.

24. macrumors 68000

Badger^2

LOL. Maybe cause they dont want to be in the home theater market where you can buy a "home theater system!" for $99 at wal*mart

25. macrumors 65816

JamesGorman

I semi agree with you.
    1. How is firewire a failure? I dont mind it, but I think it will become obsolete after usb 3.0 is out. Or at the very least FW will be on the way out.
    2. HDMI 1.3 has only a 10.x GB/s Bandwidth, which compared to MDP isnt that much better. And I believe technologies aren't even using that much yet. (Besides maybe, 1080P at 240Hz, which isnt even at 10 GB/s I believe).The apple display is not 240Hz, so that argument becomes non existent.
    3. I completely agree about wanting to have an all in one audio/video connection too, and thats the only knock I have on MDP. MDP can do audio too, but apple has turned it off. If they activated it, with firmware possibly, than MDP would be no different that HDMI..Besides if intel has its way, LightPeak will be a standard in a few years to come. For now if you need HDMI, get a connector, and if audio was a huge deal to you anyway, youd use an optical connection.