Why is there no OSX equivalent to WinXP Media edition?

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by margotspop, Sep 16, 2004.

1. margotspop macrumors regular

Jan 12, 2004
    Since I already own a G4 iMac I'm finding it hard to justify to my wife the necessity of buying the new iMac. In reality, there is little that the new imac gives me in terms of extra functionality - I'll be able to add a few extra tracks to GarageBand, but that's about it. I don't use any of the processor-intensive apps.

So what I was hoping for in the new iMac was a new way of using my iMac - using it for TV and for recording TV and so on. I'm more than a little surprised that Apple seems to be dropping the ball on this one and giving the advantage to MS. Anyone know why Apple isn't pursuing this avenue? Why are there no TV Tuners built in to Macs? Why no Apple software for recording? Why isn't the iMac the ultimate consumer box?
  2. wordmunger macrumors 603

Sep 3, 2003
    North Carolina
    Because you're one of the few people who actually want these things. I want to watch TV on my TV, not my computer. A TiVo and a 30-inch TV wil cost much less, and give a much better viewer experience. The last thing I want when I turn on the TV is to deal with viruses, worms, spam, and the like.
  3. margotspop thread starter macrumors regular

Jan 12, 2004
    Well you have a point. However, I imagine that a few years ago people never associated music with computers either. Now I only listen to music from my iMac.

Moreover, I don't think it's being too demanding to want to simply tune into the news or something while working at something else. As it stands now, I'd have to leave my study and go down two floors to see something on the TV. People change their behavior over time - they change they way they do things and the associations they make with things. TV on the mac? Why on earth not?
  4. munkle macrumors 68030

Aug 7, 2004
    On a jet plane
    You can watch TV on your Mac, check out Eye TV. I can't tell you what it's like but it sounds pretty good. Just don't tell you wife that it's compatible with the iMac G4 and you have your excuse to order a spanking new iMac G5 :D
  5. jeremy.king macrumors 603

Jul 23, 2002
    Fuquay Varina, NC
    You could always just add a TV to your study or a USB TV Tuner dongle.
  6. yellow Moderator emeritus

Oct 21, 2003
    Portland, OR
    Older Macs used to have TV tuners. They didn't sell so well. Lesson learned by Apple. Maybe in a few more years when the iPod gets old and technology is better, then we'll all buy iTV. Plus, I heard that Windows Media centers SUCKED.
  7. margotspop thread starter macrumors regular

Jan 12, 2004
    Well I could, you're right. And I could buy a 3rd party TV tuner. I could also buy a calendar and stick it on my wall, but I use iCal instead ;). I could buy another brand of webcam but I prefer the slick coolness of iSight ;). I know there are good alternatives, I guess I'm just wondering why Apple don't seem particularly in this market. Given the sleekness of the new iMac and a 20" screen, it would not be out of place in the living room/kitchen. Why handicap it? Why not provide some IR functionality? (Zap!) iTunes. (Zap!) Channel 5. (Zap!) Back to iTunes...
  8. iMeowbot macrumors G3

Aug 30, 2003
    I use a FireWire adapter for this kind of thing (it's basically a DV camera without the camera). I use an VCR as the tuner, but versions with built-in tuners are made too.

Watching or recording on a computer doesn't do much for me most of the time, but it's handy for occasionally transferring shows or existing recordings into iMovie for a bit of minor editing.

In general, TV recording gives the disk storage a serious workout, so the computer isn't quite so useful for other tasks while recording is going on. Most of the time, they work better when not integrated.
  9. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

Mar 25, 2002
    London, England
    Oh you didn't want to do that! (not in the UK at least).
  10. margotspop thread starter macrumors regular

Jan 12, 2004
    Good point. Hadn't thought of that.
  11. MisterMe macrumors G4

Jul 17, 2002
    Not true. Personal computers have been an integral part of music production and performance for the better part of two decades. The most prominent name that comes to mind is jazz musician Herbie Hancock who uses a Mac on stage during his performances.
  12. margotspop thread starter macrumors regular

Jan 12, 2004
    Well you can certainly pick nits better than I can! When I said "I imagine that a few years ago people never associated music with computers either", clearly, what I SHOULD have said was: "I imagine that a few years ago people - who are not in the business of music production, are not performers (including Jazz performers) and who generally used computers for activities other than those mentioned above - would have been unlikely to associate music with computers either.

Does that help?
  13. noel4r macrumors 6502a

Jul 17, 2002
    Los Angeles
    He meant using a computer to listen to music, not producing music.