Why is VPC so bad???

Discussion in 'Games' started by void, Mar 20, 2003.

1. void macrumors 6502

I duon't know why everyone is bitching about VPC being sooooo slow! I was playing Tiberian Sun on a Pismo 500 with 30 FPS!!! i was using VPC 3 (bootleg from thailand)

2. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

It's not so bad but it's not for gaming and you should not be talking about bootleg anything here.

3. Totalshock macrumors member

I dunno... the VPC gaming experience is kinda growing on me because of one cool feature -- when I play CivIII PTW through VPC, I'm playing in realtime. It actually takes 500 years to get from one turn to the next! :D

4. MrMacMan macrumors 604

MrMacMan

Yeah edit the bootleg part, they might get on your case for saying you use 'warez' and might get in your face about it.

VPC is okay for older games, but for any game in the past 2-3 years blows.

Tiberian sun people don't go on mutiplayer. Try CS you get what 30 FPS with you alone and even less with people playing... try a mutiplayer game.

5. DisgruntledArch macrumors newbie

FPS? We don't need no stinkin' FPS

Hmm . . . I get 30 FPS on quite a few games WITHOUT using VPC . . . guess my ATI Rage mobility just ain't cutting it anymore.

6. Stike macrumors 65816

Stike

Imagine, VPC sucks so much, that even Microsoft had to buy it! :p :D
    Says enough about it.

7. backspinner macrumors 6502a

:p

well, it served me again for completing a number of Dutch income tax forms
    thanks to the dominance of Mickeysoft I have to use VPC for this
    or should I say now that they own it that I just have to use Microsoft for it - I'm puzzled :confused:

8. jethroted macrumors 6502a

jethroted

It sucks because it's running Winblows.

Winblows = sucks
    VPC = Winblows

Therefore

VPC = sucks

through transient property. ;)

9. Stike macrumors 65816

Stike

Yes. You use a Microsoft product in order to use a Microsoft product. The ideal situation imagined by Bill is, that this is EVERYWHERE the case. :(

Apple shall prevail! :)
    Why is this thread in the gaming section???
    I wonder how you could squeeze 30 fps out of CS though. Never. Not with a G4 :)

10. MrMacMan macrumors 604

MrMacMan

Re: FPS? We don't need no stinkin' FPS

I was guessing on his numbers and with a P3 w/ Geforce 3 (normal setup for pc-bongs [not sure of spelling, correct me please])

The thread is in the gaming section becase VPC so far sucks at emluation speed. Maybe when MS released the code (to itself) they can improve.

11. Haberdasher macrumors regular

Re: Why is VPC so bad???

Now correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm pretty sure the reason that your 500 mhz machine is performing so well with VPC is that the version you have (3) was the last incarnation to support 3D cards directly in the emulation. After that, Connectix (and now I guess Microsoft) decided that it wasn't worth it to keep up support for any cards, as the only people who needed it were gamers, and that's not who they were trying to market to.

Any versions you buy now only support software rendering, which is dead now.

12. ThoughtKriminal macrumors member

i could get 30fps on a 400ghz P2 with 8mb rage pro graphics in multiplayer on CS. im pretty sure that VPC can own those stats?

13. AdamR01 macrumors 6502

Would 3D acceleration really matter though? I have the game and it doesnt use 3d acceleration. It just uses DirectDraw and not Direct3d. The speed increase couldnt really come from having 3d acceleration could it?

14. Haberdasher macrumors regular

I think even if it doesn't use your 3d card directly, it could still probably help out a bit with the processing. I dunno.

15. MrMacMan macrumors 604

MrMacMan

You might get better video quality (emulated 16 MB) but the FPS is very very debatable.

People's FPS range from extremly low (see >1 FPS) to amasingly high (<40 FPS).

I have no idea why such inconsistancy.

16. ThoughtKriminal macrumors member

soon VPC might be capable of decent gaming, but truth is that mac seems to be gaining alot of ground in gaming. alot of new games are comming out for the mac, and my imac gets 90+ fps in quake3 with 1024 x 768 and all details on max. top of the line PCs dont get much better.

Hell, counterstrike is the only game i even miss since i switched to mac. And soon enough there will probably be a counterstrike 2 that will be ported for mac.

17. MrMacMan macrumors 604

MrMacMan

Link please... I thought they said Half-Life 2 might, possibly, MAYBE be ported.

I never saw a real Q&A answering this tho.

Some places are really really annoying at mac ports. (see massive delay ----> canceling)

18. MacsRgr8 macrumors 604

MacsRgr8

Me too...
    Still, it's a bad feeling having to use M$ (Mickeysoft kende ik nog niet, grappig), especially for something as personal and important as tax refunds.

19. jadam macrumors 6502a

jadam

please dont make stupid comments like that you silly 8th grader

20. Stike macrumors 65816

Stike

I have indeed seen much sillier posts. But I won´t tell examples. No reason to offend anyone, so tone it down, or it will be moderator time.

21. Megaquad macrumors 6502a

I put Win 98 image from VPC3 on use with my VPC6 and I can tell you, it runs same as VPC3 on os9! It is very fast and usable!

22. MrMacMan macrumors 604

MrMacMan

I have VPC 3 laying around (I have no idea why) should I use it, is it usable? I mean all I want is maybe some apps. Very light gaming is proformance is good. You know the 'file sharing' things.

If any good, I'll install it on OS 9.

23. beez7777 macrumors 6502a

beez7777

actually i believe it's called the transitive property. ;)

24. AdamR01 macrumors 6502

Hehe i was gonna say that but now i guess i'll chime in with the addition property of equalities:D .