Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

TheAnswer

macrumors 68030
Jan 25, 2002
Orange County, CA
No, but he was there when it started. Just because George Washington isn't president anymore doesn't really take away from his contributions and thus his importance.

balamw

Moderator emeritus
Aug 16, 2005
New England
Actually in recent interviews for his book (iWoz) he said that he remains on the payroll at Apple at the bottom of the org chart even though he doesn't spend much time there if any.

B

TheAnswer

macrumors 68030
Jan 25, 2002
Orange County, CA
Actually in recent interviews for his book (iWoz) he said that he remains on the payroll at Apple at the bottom of the org chart even though he doesn't spend much time there if any.

B

That's cool to hear...although I just had a vision of him in the basement, with Steve Jobs taking away his stapler..."I'll burn down the building".

bousozoku

Moderator emeritus
Jun 25, 2002
Lard
He's probably still a good sounding board. His criticism about Apple's current path has been quite loud.

nickelbackmac

macrumors regular
Jun 23, 2006
Jonesboro, Arkansas USA
Wikipedia shows a list of Apple CEO's and chiefs from past to present, but Steve JOBS wasn't the first, it just shows him as the latest CEO. I thought he started Apple with Woz, but this is confusing me...

bousozoku

Moderator emeritus
Jun 25, 2002
Lard
Wikipedia shows a list of Apple CEO's and chiefs from past to present, but Steve JOBS wasn't the first, it just shows him as the latest CEO. I thought he started Apple with Woz, but this is confusing me...

They founded Apple but I'm sure after the company went public, they had to hire a board of directors and they were so involved with day-to-day operations, that they probably only participated peripherally as part of the board.

John Sculley was probably the first CEO who was more noticeable than Steve Jobs anyway.

zflauaus

macrumors 65816
Nov 19, 2004
Like other people said, he invented the personal computer. I am reading iWoz and it is great book, even though I'm only on chapter 4. There's a few things I can relate to being a teen but the things he did during his childhood...:eek: :eek:

Sun Baked

macrumors G5
May 19, 2002
Right now he is as useful as the inventor of Tang, except when a reporter needs a fill-in piece to soak up some time. :p

balamw

Moderator emeritus
Aug 16, 2005
New England
They founded Apple but I'm sure after the company went public, they had to hire a board of directors and they were so involved with day-to-day operations, that they probably only participated peripherally as part of the board.

John Sculley was probably the first CEO who was more noticeable than Steve Jobs anyway.

Even before the company went public they probably had to hire a "suit" or two in order to take the company public in the first place.

nickelbackmac: Just because someone is the company's founder, that doesn't necessarily mean they will ever assume the CEO's chair. Some might prefer to assume another "C" title like CTO (Chief Technical Officer), and others (like Woz) may not like the whole hierarchical thing in the first place.

B

mduser63

macrumors 68040
Nov 9, 2004
Salt Lake City, UT
Like someone else said, Woz is important because he invented the personal computer. Woz single-handedly designed both the Apple I which got Apple started, and the Apple II which was very successful and basically started the personal computer industry. Besides that, he's quite an inspiration to engineers because of his achievements and his passion for engineering and technology. He was never a CEO or anything else high up at Apple because he's not interested in that sort of thing. He'd rather be down in the trenches actually designing hardware. Of course now, with him a multi-millionaire and thousands of engineers at Apple, there's not much reason for him to work there, but he is still on the payroll. He has started a few other (fairly unsuccessful) companies, but seems to spend most of his time just doing what he wants.

It's worth noting that Steve Jobs wasn't CEO at Apple until '97. Michael Scott was the first CEO, followed by Mike Markkula.

Aarow

macrumors 6502a
Jun 14, 2005
I know of no other man who carries around sheets of perforated 2 dollar bills while playing segway polo.

zflauaus

macrumors 65816
Nov 19, 2004
Well... It's mainly that since I moved to high school, I've kinda dropped off the map of my old friends and have made myself noticed from other schools with people that I've never met.

But then again I made one science project that was pretty amazing (I think) in fifth grade where I tested to see which type of wire (copper, metal, or aluminium [that my dad had to get from work because Home Depot couldn't sell it]) and saw which one made the best electromagnet. I've always been facinated with electricity. Yep, I'm a dork. :D

And I also never did science projects in the third grade but here's what he did from third to eighth (I hope I can put this out!):

3rd: Took a light, two batteries, and a little wire all mounted on a board and made a flashlight.

4th: Mythbusters "Which Liquid Conducts Electricity the Best?"

5th: Made a model that "with the click of a switch" showed "how many electrons orbit each atom in the periodic table, and which orbit around the nucleus they should be in."

6th: Built a tic-tac-toe machine that would never lose based on logic.

7th: He skipped

8th: Built the "Adder/Subtractor."

He has had an amazing childhood, to say the least.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.