Why Isn't AutoCAD Made For Macs?

Discussion in 'Community' started by SamIchi, Sep 5, 2005.

1. clayj macrumors 604

clayj

Perhaps because the folks at Autodesk believe that they wouldn't sell enough copies for the Mac to justify the expense of research and development?

2. iMeowbot macrumors G3

iMeowbot

There was an AutoCAD for Mac once upon a time, built around the Unix version. Unix support was dropped after R12, and the Mac releases went with it.

3. SamIchi thread starter macrumors 68030

SamIchi

That's what I was thinkin'. I love Autodesk software, I just wish I didn't have to use a PC...

4. MBHockey macrumors 68040

MBHockey

I haven't had to use that software, but i use Pro/E at my school. I wish there was a mac version. Running it on Virtual PC isn't too bad, though.

5. SamIchi thread starter macrumors 68030

SamIchi

Has anyone tried to use AutoCAD in Virtual PC? I'm afraid of what the results may be.

6. toaster_oven macrumors regular

it's fine... only if you are doing 2D stuff... but if you are using it on VPC, get win 2000 because XP takes up way too much memory (runs like a turtle)... plus, max out on VPC memory (at least 256 MB) and you should be fine. the big thing is how well VPC runs on your computer, not autocad...

if you are looking for mac CAD options, try VectorWorks, it's perfectly fine for small projects and has a decent 3D package (plus you can export to dwg for all those engineers). I did design and CDs for a 133 unit apartment building on Vectorworks using an ancient imac, and my only major complaint was the lack of keyboard shortcuts (which one can get around with writing scripts). It's hard to switch over to different CAD software once one has been stuck in the AutoCAD box for so long.

check out www.architosh.com - you might find more useful info there.

-to

7. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

What he said. I use ADT on my TiBook under VPC, and while slow, is better than having to use a PC just for that one program. I work on a PC, but when I need to fill in the gaps on the road or at home it is tolerable. As recommended, stick with Win2K and don't hope for exceptional performance.

VectorWorks is a good Mac alternative and can read and write .dwg so you're not an outcast. It is also significantly cheaper than AutoCad.

As to why there is no AutoCad for Mac... sadly there is not a sufficient market to make it worth the effort. I always hoped that someday there would be, but now I don't really care too much since in a year or so I'll be able to get a laptop that can run windows at native speed alongside the gooeyliciousness of the Mac OS...