Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jackc

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Oct 19, 2003
I've had my 12" PB for nearly a year, but recently my mac hasn't been going to sleep automatically. It's not the Energy settings, and there's nothing connected that might keep it awake. It's connected to a wireless network, but that never made a difference before. Although probably hard to speculate, any ideas what it could be?

yippy

macrumors 68020
Mar 14, 2004
Chicago, IL
Reboot the computer holding Apple+Option+P+R untill you hear the starting chime 3 times (may take a few moments). Then let go and let it boot.

Norouzi

macrumors 6502
Aug 6, 2004
Philadelphia, PA
Ah, ok, on startup hold down Command (Apple Key) + Option + P + R and hold them down till the machine gives you the startup chime about 3 times then let go and let the machine start up. Then see if it'll sleep.

EDIT: Beat me to it yippy

Pismo

macrumors 6502a
Apr 30, 2002
NH
There was probably a process running in the background. Some things have precedence over other functions (such as sleep). I think your computer wouldn't go to sleep until that process finished or quits. Zapping the PRAM probably cleared that up.

In the future if it happens again, you could open Terminal and type ' Top ' to look at the processes running and see if there's anything taking up a lot of the CPU. Those processes are assigned numbers. If you want to stop something, just type ' kill ' followed by the number of the process.

Mr. Durden

macrumors 6502a
Jan 13, 2005
Colorado
Often times when my Mac won't go to sleep, I let it stay up a little later than normal, maybe watch a movie. Make sure once it goes to sleep you don't let it sleep too long, because you'll have trouble getting it back to sleep again. "I'm just not tired." :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.