why iTunes?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by DimaIL, May 12, 2005.

1. DimaIL macrumors newbie

hello,
    There are many music shops in Internet that sell us music: iTunes, MSN music, Y!, real, napster...
    Why specifically iTunes is soo famous and any another shop is no soo famous like iTunes(even they are cheaper than iTunes)?
    Write what do you think about it...

- Dima.

2. wrldwzrd89 macrumors G5

wrldwzrd89

I think it's all about the iPod. First, Apple showed us the iPod, and just how cool a music player could be. Then, they introduced the iTunes Music Store, explaining to us that it's perfectly integrated with our iPods. That is what got every iPod owner hooked on iTMS. If it wasn't for the fantastic success of the iPod, the iTMS wouldn't be anywhere near as popular as it is now.

3. redeye be macrumors 65816

redeye be

4. DimaIL thread starter macrumors newbie

but i can to but music in another Music Store and play it in iPod, not?

(Sorry about the forum. I thought that i was writing this massage in forum iTunes)

- Dima.

5. wrldwzrd89 macrumors G5

wrldwzrd89

The iPod doesn't support WMA (protected or unprotected) - the format the vast majority of the other online music stores use. In fact, the odds are stacked against iPod support if you buy music anywhere besides iTunes. This is because Apple has, so far, refused to openly license FairPlay (Apple's DRM - used in the iTunes Music Store), and because no standard definition of DRM exists.

6. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Everyone's brought up some very good points. I'd just like to say that the iTunes program (as a jukebox) and it's integration is, in my opinion, one of the huge reasons. As redeye_be implied, it's the fact it all works together so seamlessly.

7. Flux Harmonic macrumors member

What people seem to not understand about napster and Y! is that if you stop paying your subscription, you can no longer listen to the music. Even if you've transferred your music over to a portable player (like a dell dj or a creative jukebox), you have to bring your player back once a month and sync it with your account to keep your music. If you want to buy it permananetly, then you have to pay for each song. This is in addition to your monthly fee. So basically you're paying twice for your music.

If there were some way to burn these WMAs to a cd, then you could just do that, and then rip the cd in AAC format. But you lose all kinds of quality, and I don't even think these things allow you to burn their tracks unless you buy them permanently first.

Who wants to be paying 4.95 a month (or however much it is) for the rest of your life to listen to your favorite tracks? I sure as hell don't. And I listen to -all- of my music all the time (thank you iPod).

8. Gherkin macrumors 6502

If I ever used a subscription service, it would sort of be like my "music preview" tool. $5 a month is chump change to be able to listen to ANYTHING whenever I want. And then, if I really like an album, I'll go out and buy it. I really hope Apple introduces a subscription plan as cheap as Yahoo's.

9. Gherkin macrumors 6502

Oh, and I'm sure anyone signing up for these services understand this. Unless they have 2nd grade level reading comprehension skills.

You're looking at it the wrong way. Subscription services can coexist with normal music buying.

Yahoo's service is essentially EXACTLY like the iTMS, but it's actually cheaper for a-la carte downloads ($0.79) and you get charged $5 a month for unlimited and unrestricted music previewing.