Why lie about it? Bush trip to Iraq.

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by SPG, Dec 2, 2003.

1. SPG macrumors 65816

SPG

http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tm...1/us_nm/bush_iraq_pilot_dc&cid=1896&ncid=1480

Really, why lie about it?

2. Sayhey macrumors 68000

Sayhey

It all about Karl Rove's attempt to create an image of Bush as a "warrior" President. The story is told in breathtaking detail (whether true or not) to communicate to the US electorate the "daring" of this "fortunate son" who finds himself in the White House.

edit: for those of you too young to know what a "fortunate son" is, go to iTMS and look for a song with that title by CCR.

3. SPG thread starter macrumors 65816

SPG

For those of you too young to know what CCR is, look up Creedence Clearwater Revival.

"Well, at least you got your Creedence tapes Dude."

4. Sayhey macrumors 68000

Sayhey

LOL, thanks for the help SPG!

5. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

Well, none of this story makes much sense anyway. Aircraft in the air don't talk to each other, they talk to the controllers. The way I heard it earlier, the BA pilot made that call to ATC, and it would have been controller who responded with the aircraft type. All of which brings up a question I've had since the day: how did AF-1 traverse US airspace without being identified? They would have had to file as something, with a stated destination and routing.

6. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

awesome

7. Sayhey macrumors 68000

Sayhey

LOL, why do I get the impression that my totally out-of-date cultural reference is being made fun of? :D

All right I confess, I'm old (same age as Jobs) and love ancient music. It's still a great song! :p Be careful or I'll start in on Gil Scott-Heron and Marvin Gaye next! :eek:

8. Durandal7 macrumors 68040

I love CCR, one of the few bands out there where I like almost every one of their songs.

9. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

nah, i'm not laughing at you. it's just that SPG's observation was spot on.

even more OT: ever listen to Big Star?

10. Sayhey macrumors 68000

Sayhey

I always took you for someone much younger than the CCR years. If you are then it reflects well on you that you can appreciate music from a different era. I like most of their songs as well. Especially when "Proud Mary" is sung by Tina Turner in a very short dress. ;)

It was and that reference is lost even by someone as old as me. Who is (was?) Big Star?

11. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

an awesome memphis band from the early 70s. one of the lead guys was alex chilton, of the Boxtops ("buy me a ticket for an aeroplane..."), who still tours now and again. the other was chris bell, who unfortunately died in '77, iirc.

the opening song of That 70s Show is a chilton/bell Big Star song (covered by Cheap Trick). you may also remember 'September Gurls'.

chilton is one of the best guitar players i've seen live. you can get the first two Big Star albums (#1 Record/Radio City) on one CD. check 'em out.

12. Sayhey macrumors 68000

Sayhey

13. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

Lol, I knew what you meant by CCR! Not that I'm of that generation or anything, but I sure have listened to them a bunch.

And what I want to know is how Air Force One took off with no one noticing. I guess in the dark from a military base the only people who would know would keep their mouths shut, but you'd think someone out there would have come forward for their 15 minutes on the news saying they had seen it take off under blackout conditions and just knew the president was headed somwhere special blah blah blah. I mean a big jet like that can't go completely unnoticed on takeoff. It's not like you can keep it quiet.

Then again, once it hits a hundred feet you couldn't tell it from any other plane in the dark. The moon was pretty dark around Thanksgiving I think.

14. Durandal7 macrumors 68040

I am much younger then the CCR years. Music from that era is great, as far as I am concerned there have been few artists in recent years that come close to CCR, Hendrix or the like.

Though they've got nothing on Mozart or Holst ;)

15. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

as long as we're talking music....

i got into Mozart in college. in a music class i took, i was horrified to hear the teacher describe Mozart as 'soupy.' but you know what? i eventually grew tired of Mozart's all-consonance assault and agreed.

now i'm all about Bartok, Stravinsky, Satie, Poulenc, Prokofiev, et. al.

no more soupy! :)

16. G4scott macrumors 68020

G4scott

Bush rode in an unmarked car to the airport in Waco, TX. Because there was no motorcade, not many people would've thought that Bush was on the plane. Besides, there is more than one Air Force One, and I'm sure they do routine maintenance flights regularly.

As to why they told the BA pilot that they were a Gulfstream V, they wanted to keep Bush's arrival a secret. If any news had gotten out about it before hand, there would've been people springing up all over Baghdad with shoulder-fired missiles waiting for Air Force One.

17. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

What BA pilot? There appears to be some dispute about said pilot existing. The question is, why embellish (another word for lie about) a story that is already great?

18. SPG thread starter macrumors 65816

SPG

From the Daily Show:
    From the big Lebowski:

19. Sayhey macrumors 68000

Sayhey

Thanks, SPG! it took me five minutes to stop laughing long enough to reply. Maybe some the Democratic candidates could hire the writers from the Daily Show for their campaigns. I think it would help.

Thanks also for the "Big Lebowski" dialogue. I wondered where the original quote you used was from. A truly great movie.

20. Stelliform macrumors 68000

Stelliform

Re: Why lie about it? Bush trip to Iraq.

21. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

I've got these albums on vinyl, which gives you a hint of my age. Not the originals unfortunately, but the two-record rerelease set from the UK. I've also got "Big Star 3rd" on my shelf. Both kind of rare, I imagine. Alex Chilton became sort of a cult hero during the late '70s punk/new wave era, which also happened to be my college radio dj days (a nice time to be working on college radio). I understand a new Big Star anthology was recently released. Every 25 years or so, somebody takes an interest in Alex Chilton.

22. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

Ok, I'm not going to repeat this again. All right, I might have to, but I really don't want to: Pilots in controlled airspace rarely speak to each other. They talk to ATC. Got it? Consequently, this whole story makes no sense at all.

Yes, yes, I know -- which doesn't mean it won't live on, and on, and on...

23. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

"if you're gonna lie, lie big"

24. Sayhey macrumors 68000

Sayhey

You know I think someone folks named Hitler and Goebbels said the same thing. Think Rove is taking lessons?

25. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

i'm thinking of the "threat" against AF1 on 9/11. is that now commonly accepted as a rove invention, or something true but yet to be commonly recognized?