Why Mac?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Jake., Feb 22, 2007.

1. Jake. macrumors newbie

I love Mac os x so I've been saving up for a bit ready to get one. But why do I actually want an apple computer? Do I want it because it's the next best thing?

I need some advice. Is it worth saving up for a few months to buy a refurb macbook? I currently have a PC and do a lot of coding, play some games, use the internet and do homework.

If I save up and buy a macbook will I be disappointed paying that much money for something I don't need? I ask this because I don't know anyone with a mac and have never touched one.

2. Allotriophagy macrumors 6502a

Don't get an expensive machine just now - start off small. Your PC meets all your current needs and a MacBook may not be able to do so. This depends on what languages you code in, which IDEs you use, which games you play.

If you want to play around with OS X and see how using it on a regular basis for day-to-day stuff like email, word processing, internet access...you could always pick up a cheap iBook or PowerBook. The G3 and G4 machines come in a variety of specifications and are getting cheaper all the time.

Then, if it is not for you, you've only spent a few hundred instead of a thousand. And you can resell it on eBay. Hurrah!

(Also, if you are Jake Gyllenhaal, you are welcome to come and play with my various Apple machines. Don't bring Ryan Phillipe though.)

3. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

Coding shouldn't be a problem, even if you use Visual Studio you can run it in Parallels, otherwise they are cross-platform.

4. Lovesong macrumors 65816

Lovesong

Well Jake... to me a mac is the best anti-productivity tool I've set my hands on. In all honesty, last semester I started using my GF's Dell laptop to write papers, as I found myself spending that much time with iMovie, Aperture, and all the other fun pieces of software that are there. There are a number of reasons to get a Mac, and everyone has his.
    For me, it's the fact that it works. I ask it do something that I want, and the computer does it, no ifs, buts, or ends about it. I like the fact that I don't have to worry about what spyware is being downloaded in the background when I surf the web, and I love the fact that when I plug in my scanner, it just works.
    If you've never tried a Mac, then yes, you woudn't know what you're getting. Things are different, and that requires some patience and determination to learn. Go to the Apple Store (or CompUSA), read around these forums, figure out what you want to do with a computer... then go and spend your money as you see fit.

5. Jake. thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for your help, that's a great idea, I may do that.

Nope, not me.

That It also something that I would want, but don't get on my PC. Lots of drivers to install and what not.

6. Lovesong macrumors 65816

Lovesong

Then I'd think you will enjoy a Mac. Get a MacBook- you'll appreciate the speed and will be able to fully enjoy your new computer. G3 and G4s are really getting out-dated pretty fast here.

7. johnmartin78 macrumors regular

johnmartin78

If you've never touched one,I'd suggest to find an Apple retailer and go play around with one.If theres a Apple store nearby then great,only because they will have every mac on display for you to try.Otherwise a small computer shop that deals in both Macs and PC's equally(so you know the guy isnt trying to sell you one particular type) is a good place to try one.I stay away from the big stores liek Best Buy,Future Shop ect.Cause most of the kids that work there are all noobs.(sorry bout the inadvertant rant on big chain retailers)

I personally just love how I can depend on an Apple product,for the most part.When I pay 2k + on a comp,thats a lot of money,and I know when I spend that on an Apple,I'm getting something I can count on.For example,a friend of mine bought an Acer Ferarri a few months ago,and nothing worked on it when he started it up,why?They were shipping them with Windows 64 bit.So he installed an old copy of windows 32,fixed everything,it worked great.However a few weeks later there was a problem that was covered under warranty,so he sent it to Acer to have it fixed,they sent it back telling him that his warrant was void because he changed the OS.He paid a lot of money for that thing to have a problem like that.In the end he got it worked out,I guess the noobs at acer realized they cant ship a gimp OS on stuff.But when I drop over 2k on a comp from Apple,in general I am not worried about things like this happening to me.

However,buying a used comp from Apple is playing a deadly game.Appls has a tendency to abandon old technology all of a sudden.

8. Jake. thread starter macrumors newbie

That was a worry of mine. Since Apple don't seem to sell iBooks or PowerBooks any more I looked on Amazon, eBay etc. The problem is there's no guarantee that I won't get a broken computer.

So if I really want to make sure I get a working computer I buy one from Apple? The cheapest computer on the site is the mini which I don't want to get.

I guess I will just spend some time in an Apple store to see what it's like first.

9. MacBoobsPro macrumors 603

MacBoobsPro

I paid £876 for my Macbook. I hardly ever use it as I have a PMG5 as my main machine. My parents use the MB more than I do (which reminds me I will need to empty the trash :rolleyes: ) but I still wouldnt want to part with it. You wont be disappointed trust me! :cool:

10. johnmartin78 macrumors regular

johnmartin78

I think the Apple store is fun to go to,even if you have no intention of buying a mac lol.Just to go in and play with stuff,and the atmosphere is great.