Why Microsoft and Intel Chose HD-DVD

Discussion in 'Games' started by gloss, Dec 20, 2006.

1. gloss macrumors 601

gloss

2. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

3. gloss thread starter macrumors 601

gloss

Very welcome. Honestly, it makes me sort of curious as to why Apple is still affiliated with Blu-ray given their media center aspirations and how closely they seem to align with those of Intel/Microsoft. You'd think the same list of reasons would be a turnoff to their own development teams.

4. gkarris macrumors 604

gkarris

Old article...

The article is dated Sept. 27, 2005, well over a year old.

Things have changed since then with dual layer Bluray, the PS3, and major studios supporting Bluray.

I brought home the DVD of "Invincible" and there was a Disney commercial on it for Disney Bluray and an extensive list of Bluray only titles from Disney coming out....

5. zap2 macrumors 604

zap2

Good read, but somethings are out of date, seeing how that article was from Sept 05.

I think Blue-Ray has gotten to 50Gbs...although I'm not sure anyone NEEDS 50Gbs on one disk.

I'm torn between Blue-Ray and HD-DVD...I've heard HD-DVD looks better, but Blue-Ray has more storage space, while not needed its nice. Then there is the xBox 360/PS3 card in it.

Well I doubt I'll be getting either one any time soon

6. gloss thread starter macrumors 601

gloss

The hybrid disc argument, as well as the price points, remain an issue. I didn't realize the article was that old, though. Heh.

I have a feeling HD-DVD will win out as a home multimedia technology, while Blu-Ray will hang around for storage purposes.

7. pgc6000 macrumors 6502a

Don't worry, me and my folks aren't either...I think it's to early at this point.

8. gloss thread starter macrumors 601

gloss

Yeah, ditto.

The annoying thing is that I would really love to. If it were a single format, I'd be all over it. But the idea of spending $400-600 on a device that may not be worth it's weight in coal by this time next year is a scary one.

9. clayj macrumors 604

clayj

Disney famously backed the doomed pay-per-view DIVX DVD format, too. They're known for making decisions based on three criteria:

1. How much money they can make.
    2. How much money they can make.
    3. How much money they can make.

Despite the split between HD-DVD-only studios, Blu-ray-only studios, and studios which ALREADY support both formats (Warner Brothers, for example), it is inevitable that whichever format takes the lead will gather more support from studios that don't currently support it... just as happened with DVD (there were a few studios, including Disney and Paramount, that were DIVX-only for a while).

10. pgc6000 macrumors 6502a

Amen :p

11. sushi Moderator emeritus

sushi

Yeah, we've already been through this a couple of times in the industry (Beta, VHS, LD, DVD, etc.)

12. bbarnhart macrumors 6502a

bbarnhart

Nobody needs more that 640K of RAM - Bill Gates

13. Supa_Fly macrumors 68030

Supa_Fly

@bbarnhart, of course you mean
    ;)

However, I'm beginning to wonder if Disney and other studios will use BlueRay to distribute movies to the theatre's as a digital streaming method > sourced by BR discs at the sources on playback until it comes time for mass production print of the BR discs.

14. Counterfit macrumors G3

Counterfit

I'm pretty sure theaters that use digital projectors require data rates beyond the capabilities of BluRay.