Why MobileMe is really worth it

Discussion in 'MacBytes.com News Discussion' started by MacBytes, Sep 6, 2009.

1. macrumors bot

2. macrumors 604

anjinha

Good article.

3. macrumors 6502

LEStudios

4. macrumors 68040

elppa

What is actually in that box?

More to the point… what's the idea of having a retail box for a cloud based service?

5. macrumors newbie

jamesdc

I could be happy with MobileMe

I have one main problem with MobileMe which without I would be very happy with the service.

I am into my second year with my MobileMe family pack and since Push was introduced I have never ever had any email from my MobileMe accounts pushed to any of iPhone 3G, 3GS or iPod Touch 2G and this is the case with all users on my family account.

Everything else pushes perfectly both ways and my mail even pushes outward so to speak, ie if I check my MobileMe email manually and read an email on an Apple mobile device it instantly appears as read on my iMac which receives push email perfectly within seconds of someone sending one to me.

I have been in constant contact with Apple regarding this problem and they have been keeping me up dated as best they can, however I received which seems a final update today stating the message below.

"Thank you for your patience as we have been investigating your issue.

Our engineers are still conducting an in-depth investigation into the root cause of the issue you have reported. Unfortunately, at this point there is no estimated time frame for a fix, as it appears that it will require a lot more engineering time. It may be an issue that is resolved in a future update to MobileMe or the iPhone OS. Apple won't contact you again about this issue unless we have questions about the information you provided."

I would find it hard to believe that my account is the only MobileMe account that doesn't work with push email to any Apple mobile devices :confused:

6. macrumors 6502a

Gatteau

Here's whats in the box.

7. macrumors demi-god

Something to put on the shelves in the Apple and Best Buy retail stores? :confused:

8. macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

It baffles me how many times people will ask whether MM is worth it. Worth is very personal in my opinion. While there could be a consensus on personal worth, it does not mean that it is any less personal.

I have MM and if I paid any more than $65 for it then it is not worth it to me. Even at $65 a year it feels like a bit of a rip off. Until Find My iPhone came into the mix I had considered getting rid of MM, but with that, the "worth" of the subscription went right up.

9. macrumors regular

Personally, the integration between my mail, contacts, and calendars is definitely the most valuable feature for me. Find My iPhone shouldn't be the only reason for people to buy MM. Plus if someone has an iPhone/iPod Touch, the push email feature is really handy.

10. macrumors 6502a

find my iPhone should be free.

11. macrumors 6502

From the article:

"What finally turned the corner for me with MobileMe was the 'Find My iPhone' feature of iPhone OS 3.0. It’s everything that an Apple feature is supposed to be."

I tried this when I visited my parents in Germany with my Irish iPhone.

It couldn't find the phone. I tried several times. Roaming worked, the phone was definitely connected to the network.

The only time it ever found my phone was when I was in Dublin.

12. macrumors member

deboni

Mobile Me's value

I like it, and use it. The automatic syncing from desktop to server to phone is pretty solid. However, as a place to store backups and files in general, it's very limited by low bandwidth and sluggish performance. I sometimes see less than 20 k bits per second uploading images, and my normal upload speed to other server can hit millions of bits per second - easily 100 times as fast as to MM.

13. macrumors 68040

SpaceKitty

I think it's worth it as well. Mine renews in 5 days so I'm just going to let it.

I only use it for email and the push services. I love how it keeps three phones and two Macs one Windows computer in sync.

14. macrumors 68040

SpaceKitty

That was hard to watch. That boy shouldn't be playing with a sharp knife and then he had trouble getting the papers out of the box. :eek:

15. macrumors regular

Pyrotechnic

I thought it was a girl :D

16. macrumors 601

Ummmm maybe it was.

17. macrumors 6502

daze

That's exactly what I was thinking! Big sharp knife!

18. macrumors 6502a

If idisk syncing worked as well as other services (like Dropbox), it would be be fantastic. While I like mobileme and will continue using it, I find it disappointing that I have to use another service to do what mobileme is supposed to be able to do.

19. macrumors regular

inigel

I have the same problem with mail not being "pushed" to my iPhone. I found it only did it when I was connected with wi-fi. When I turn wi-fi off and use the 3G network, it pushes fine.

20. macrumors 6502

LEStudios

My mail works fine make sure you go to setting and select Push on the iPhone. I never had a problem my favorite part is that Contacts updates are push to server or vice versa. I never had such a live up to date address book before and I mean absolutely NEVER with Microsoft. What make it so bad the sit on the Exchange Server technology. :rolleyes:

21. macrumors 6502a

I like MobileMe, the push services are great and OTA syncing is fantastic. The only thing lacking is iDisk. The speeds are horrendous, to the point where I don't even use it and have to resort to DropBox. I cannot believe Apple continues to let it stay in the state that it is.

So, no I do not think MobileMe is worth $99 but I pay it because having my iPhone in sync with my Mac is great, the galleries are good when I use them, and the email service is fine. But, I think a $69 price point is suffice.

22. macrumors 6502a

I wish Apple would include domain name registration and manage migration.

All the workarounds sound like a massive pain and the last thing I want is yet another email address to manage or to be almostthere999999@me.com

23. macrumors member

enterataining article. obviously this is worth it for some, but i'm still not sold. i just don't "get it" and I've been a mac zealot since '99.

24. macrumors 65816

It would really be great to see iDisk behave like DropBox.

25. macrumors 6502

The MobileMe Web apps don't really work via proxy servers, or at least via some proxy servers.

Webmail requires me to reload the main window after composing an email so I can send it.

And the calendar usually reloads itself before I can finish adding an item to it.

I contacted support for a year and all they can tell me is that they want to test my account (which works fine when used without a proxy) and that "proxy servers are not supported by MobileMe" (which is silly for a Web app) and that I should use a real email program when I am behind a proxy server (which I cannot because that's what the proxy server is meant to block).

All-in-all, I'd give the following grades:

SMTP: very good
    Galleries: very good
    Sync: very good
    Web mail: wanting
    Web calendar: extremely wanting
    Find iPhone: fail (it mostly works, but it's only useful when I can rely on it and since it sometimes doesn't work, it's useless)