Why more music on other iTunes stores?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by SparioZeppelin, May 3, 2005.

1. SparioZeppelin macrumors newbie

I'm a BIG Robert Plant Fan, and so i ws looking around the USA iTunes for Plant music, when i realzed that the UK music store has about 5 more albums then the USA store. The problem is that i can't buy from the UK store. Can anyone answer why iTunes music is not available to all countrys?

2. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

Because it's up to the music companies, distributors, copyright holders and what-have-you.

Different titles get different releases in different regions.

If you're keen to get the title, import the CD. Sometimes, it's cheaper than the iTMS. I'm always ordering stuff from Caiman that you can't get in the UK.

3. 173080 macrumors 6502

I come across this often and find it very annoying. I like to search through the "Top 100" lists of foreign Music Stores so I can find new music but sometimes I can't buy it.

I currently want to buy:
    Kyo - 300 Lésions (iTMS France)
    Wir Sind Helden - Von Hier An Blind (iTMS Germany)
    Annett Louisan - Bohéme (iTMS Germany)

But I can't, I only have a US iTMS account. I already sent Apple a message regarding this issue but never got a reply. :(

4. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

wouldnt it be nice if we could just do away with these stupid labels and buy the music that we want instead of the music that is 'meant' for us or shoved at us?

:rolleyes:

5. aloofman macrumors 68020

aloofman

This is most likely not Apple's fault. It's in Apple's interest to have as many iTunes agreements with record labels and rightsholders as possible. Almost any label of any size has undoubtedly been approached already. If they aren't on iTunes now in a particularly country, it's probably because they declined to join. Your letter-writing should be to the record label (or whomever has the rights to those songs), not to Apple.

6. Chip NoVaMac macrumors G3

Chip NoVaMac

I wonder what it would take for Apple to come up with the ITMS International Store. A place that for a small premium, would allow users to order songs that are not available in their home country.

7. 173080 macrumors 6502

That would be ideal. I would definitely be willing to pay a premium for those albums.

8. aloofman macrumors 68020

aloofman

I suspect that Apple would like to do that, but the varying laws and intellectual property groups in different countries probably make it impractical. You have to figure it would be simpler for customers to have one iTunes store instead of one for each country and that Apple would do it if they could.