Why no Apple Retail Store Edu Discounts?!?!?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by dxp4acu, Jan 16, 2004.

1. dxp4acu macrumors regular

What in the world?!?!? No software edu discounts!!! Anyone know why?

2. Le Big Mac macrumors 68020

Le Big Mac

probably because of verification problems. by purchasing through the apple store they can track for abuse of the lower prices. don't they have limits on the number of purchases? otherwise, someone could set up shop just outside the apple store, selling everything for halfway in between.

3. dxp4acu thread starter macrumors regular

Well, thats the weird thing. They accept it for hardware discounts, but not software! That doesn't make sense to me. Why have educational prices if I can't use them?

4. Le Big Mac macrumors 68020

Le Big Mac

dunno. maybe they figure you're more likely to peddle a $100 software package. Or it's easier to track the purchase of a machine--don't they log the purchaser's name by serial number when you buy?

5. jxyama macrumors 68040

jxyama

i am probably mistaken, but they don't offer the edu. price for an apple branded software as well? hmm, i thought it was just the third-party software.

i was hoping to pick up iLife tomorrow... but i may have to order online...

6. Kwyjibo macrumors 68040

Kwyjibo

wow i was gonna goto the apple store for ilife but i guess i'll wait till i get to my campus store.

7. cpjakes macrumors 6502

For what it's worth, I was told once that it was because of a different license (Academic) that it couldn't be sold in the stores. I don't think it's verification because they do that with hardware purchases.

8. KBFinFan macrumors 6502

I was just going to start a thread about this to give everyone the head's up...

I went to my somewhat local Apple store (45 min away) to get iLife.. and the guy said that only the discounts are valid online. I was certainly a little dissapointed. Which I thought was weird since they do offer hardware discounts...

So I wasted some driving time and gas, but I hung out with my brother and got some lunch not so bad, I just ordered it online.

I would think the stores were more likely to offer the discount because they actually verify your information where as the website just assumes your trustworthy (at least in my cases). Eh.. I guess I will be making some music next week at this time....

9. tdhurst macrumors 68040

tdhurst

hardware/software discounts

Apple Retail Stores ONLY offer the educational discounts on hardware, not software (not even Apple software). They do this because of the near impossibility to track software purchases from students (an earlier post described this). Yes, it's frustrating, yes it even frustrates me, but when they first allowed it, students came in with outdated student ids and bought multiple copies and sold them for retail price (or something of the sort). Because of the unlikelihood on someone being rich enough to do this with multiple g5s, they do allow hardware discounts.
    So, buy hardware from the retail stores, order software online or buy it at your college bookstore.

10. jxyama macrumors 68040

jxyama

Re: hardware/software discounts

man, one stupid greedy guy has to ruin the convenience for everyone...

Off topic: anyone from ann arbor interested in ordering iLife together? i need to buy two copies to qualify for free shipping...

OTOH, maybe they won't allow two copies to be purchased under one purchaser for edu. discount... ugh.

11. iPodmini-girl macrumors newbie

You can purchase Applecare plans at retail stores with edu discount too, I've done it

12. tdhurst macrumors 68040

tdhurst

addendum

Ah, yes. Anything hardware SPECIFIC (monitors, aplcare, airport cards, sometimes memory...etc) is sold at an edu discount at the Apple Retail Stores.

13. Chris in MI macrumors newbie

Re: Why no Apple Retail Store Edu Discounts?!?!?

I can't speak to the Apple Store issues. However, at CompUSA the reason is even simpler than the tracking problem: profit. For example, wholesale cost from Apple to CompUSA for Panther is right around $100 (IIRC). The .edu cost is $69. Were CompUSA to sell Panther at the academic pricing, they'd lose money.

This is true on a lot of hardware stuff as well. To the best of my knowledge it's each CompUSA's decision how to handle .edu pricing on hardware, so long as they don't lose money (sell below wholesale).

Apple retail stores probably have a lower wholesale than Comp, but maybe not. Just another thought.

14. wdlove macrumors P6

wdlove

I agree that is the best option for purchasing software with an educational discount. They have great prices and not limits. I have found the staff at our local store to be friendly and knowledgeable.

15. MacinTodd macrumors newbie

As an avid college mac fan, I agree 100% with Apple's policy on educational discounts in store. The piracy issue is HUGE on EVERY college campus. And retail fraud, or reselling purchased items at a higher price, is illegal, but still done all the time. Apple is not purposely trying to inconvenience all of you students, but they are just trying to cover their butts and make some kind of profit.

16. jxyama macrumors 68040

jxyama

i just ordered my iLife online... for some reason, Univ. of Michigan computer store sells software below retail, but above the edu. discount, for example:

Panther: $129 retail, $69 edu discount but sold for $79 at the store.

iLife: $49 retail, $29 edu discount but sold for $39 at the store.

3rd party software, they generally sell at a good discount, like Macromedia Studio MX was below $200, toast was $90, etc...

17. tdhurst macrumors 68040

tdhurst

stores...

YEAH, it's weird. School do that to sometimes cover shipping costs and the usch.

18. wdlove macrumors P6

wdlove

I went to Boston University's Store about a week ago.

Pather: $69 edu discount