Why no basic apps for cell phones???

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by sigamy, Oct 21, 2005.

1. sigamy macrumors 65816

I love gadgets and computers. Can't get enough of them. I've owned tons of PDAs (Newts, Zoomer, TI Avigo, Palm, Sony). At the same time, I hate the phone. I get on and off. I can't sit there and chit chat. I guess I don't have much to say.

so, I've put off "really" having a cell phone until this week. I decided to become "one of them" and get a cool new phone the LG VX8100 from Verizon.

I sold my Sony Clie PDA. I figured I can just use the phone for everything. Well now I can't find any applications for the phones. All that's out there is games, ringtones and picture stuff. I just want a simple app to store passwords and account numbers. There are probably 50 of these little apps for Palm OS. How can there not be one for cell phones? My LG uses BREW, not Java and I've even looked at some BREW developer sites but I can't find anything.

I know I didn't buy a smartphone but come on! I can play Doom and Need for Speed 2 in 3D on my new phone. I can download bikini contests from E! channel on the phone. But, I can't build a little database to store some account numbers and then have the data encrypted and protected?

WHAT IN THE WORLD ARE ALL THESE PEOPLE DOING WITH THEIR FANCY CELL PHONES? I guess they are all playing ringtones and watching Family Guy...

2. saabmp3 macrumors 6502a

If you know enough to write 3D games, then I'm surprised you don't know enough to write a database :p

BEN