Why no Blu-Ray option?

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by seany916, Jan 8, 2008.

1. macrumors 6502

We can always install them later, but why not have it as a BTO option? Are they still waiting for the "war" to end? The store didn't show any BR or HD-DVD options. It is currently down right now. Who knows...

2. macrumors 68040

acearchie

Because just maybe they havent finalized a software update that supports bluy ray in leopard?

3. macrumors 6502

Itt: Bawww

Why don't you wait until next week's Stevenote before you starting complaining?

:mad::rolleyes:

4. macrumors member

I question how great the demand is for Blu-ray. Yes, there's strong interest, but consider:

1.) Expensive drive.

2.) Expensive media - too expensive for most routine back up procedures, and who knows how durable it'll be over time?

3.) Once you've burned a disc, do you know anyone else who can use it yet?

With time market penetration will grow, but I'm not sure they're at enough critical mass to make it worthwhile. Apple has a lot of sticks in the fire to occupy itself.

My 2 cents.

Richard.

5. macrumors 6502

My $0.02...

Blu-Ray will require some OS support, likely to be in 10.5.2. Since 10.5.2 will likely also have references to unreleased hardware ( other than new MP ), Blu-Ray will still be under wraps till the new hardware debuts.

6. macrumors Core

it makes no sense to offer blu-ray at this point. there is some demand, yes. but the 'battle' between formats isn't over, and it doesn't bring anything to the market thats 'needed'

its more of a connivence format than anything imo.

7. macrumors 68000

mcarnes

I dunno, I think there is some demand. The Blu-Ray Forum is pretty active (some threads get like 800 posts in one day). It is largely fan boy based, but so is MR...

8. sal
    macrumors 6502

hit the nail on the head. There is a demand for it. But in all seriousness, I doubt many here would add that option if it were made available because of it's expense.

I do mostly video work and although I'd love to deliver in a bluray format, it's currently too expensive. God forbid my client tells me they have HDDVD. :eek:

It's also worth mentioning that FCPstudio2 is not even bluray aware yet. meaning I can't author a bluray disc with dvdstudio pro. So a bluray burner would just be collecting dust in my machine at this point in the game.

Once this 'battle is over', technology becomes affordable, pro apps can author bluray, will there be a high demand for this option. Until then, don't hold your breath.

9. macrumors regular

OnePumpChump

As far as the war is concerned, with Warner Brothers signing on to release just Blu-ray, how much longer is the war going to last anyway. There is 2 major companies left that release HD, and one of those still release in both formats.

10. macrumors 601

UltraNEO*

If someone wishes to use the format for backup, it won't matter
    who wins the media war and it won't matter if other's ain't supporting the format.

As far as Blu-Ray media goes, it's actually dirt cheap here,
    if you compare the price per GB verses DVD-R & DVD DL media.

11. macrumors demi-god

CWallace

Apple might be waiting for prices to come down. Most Blu-Ray/HD-DVD combi-readers are around $300+. Sony just announced a $200 player, but I believe it is Blu-Ray only.

12. macrumors 65816

Comparing to dvd-r when it arrived to G5, br is quite affordable right now. Then apple was ahead of others, now it isn't.

13. sal
    macrumors 6502

how much does a bluray disc cost in japan?(i assume this is where you live)

for me, backing up to an external drive(which are also cheapnowadays) is not only cheaper than backing up to disc but it's more convenient.

I think many would agree with me.

14. macrumors 65816

LG GGW-H20L is already under $300...

15. macrumors 601

UltraNEO*

Depending on the brand, they vary from 1700yen to 5000yen. You have the option of 25Gb or 50Gb per disk, though TDK are planning to bring out 100GB discs, whether it'll appear, well.. who knows.. not heard anything about them yet.

16. macrumors demi-god

CWallace

And I see LiteOn has one for $199 at Newegg.com.

Some think Apple pushed the Mac Pro update out early to help the stock price. Maybe we'll see more product and accessories announced at MacWorld.

17. macrumors G4

Eraserhead

Blu-Ray only became sensible a week ago with the Warner deal, unless Apple knew about that in advance there was nothing they could do to add it, I could possibly see it as a BTO option at MacWorld.

18. macrumors 65816

Apple's delay can't have anything to do with bd-drives' street prices.
    In professional post production $k's are thrown all the time, one for raid, couple to the memory, etc. HD video tapes cost a whole lot more than bd-disks and you'll have to use them even for "daylies" if there's no other options.

How could any professional talk about "professional video" in 2008 without bd-authoring?
    Apple's solution now is "use windows".

Hope this changes after a week...

19. macrumors 6502

Lyra

Seriously, I have a hard time understanding why we STILL don't have BluRay in the Macs...

By now, we should all have them as standard part of the main product line for the MacPro.

But we don't even have an option to have one as a build to order.

It's very strange considering that Apple, and Disney had a few good ideas in the past and that somehow they should have had this in order a long time ago. Most of all, they should have gone with the promos they used to.

Disney packages included in the macs. Why not do some cool promo now? Have the Pixar BluRay disc included in the top model with BluRay drives?

Do something to show that Apple isn't lagging behind!!!

They don't update their product lines fast enough and when they do, they're just not that much ahead...

On a different note... who else feels it's time to invent new plugs for mini jacks and phono plugs for TVs etc. I know HDMI is one of the new ways to do things, but stuff like EuroScart is terrible, S-VHS is horrible, etc...

Just a thought...

Other than the lack of BluRay, if I was rich I'd get my self one of these new beasts...
    ;)

20. macrumors 6502

Paramount too is rumored to be ready to jump ship on HD-DVD in favor of Blu-Ray. Wait and see what 10.5.2 brings it may be very close at hand.

21. macrumors 6502

I agree that at the very least there should be a BTO option (I wouldn't get it, but I plan on it within 1-2 years) for those that want/need it now.

They may possibly add this after NAB '08 or WWDC '08, though the likelihood of Apple adding something to a product that was "just" updated within 4-7 months is unlikely given their track record with the MPs the last 2 years.

22. macrumors 65816

Raid card was a "silent update" between upgrades. Let's hope bd-drive will be also...

23. macrumors regular

Madhawk

Blu-Ray is still too expensive, check what happened with playstation 3. They had to bring the price down to sell more units.

Imagine what the price of the Mac Pro would be with a Blu-Ray drive.
    I don't think Apple is ready to jump on the bandwagon...;)
    Maybe later in 2008...

24. macrumors 6502

Lyra

Funny how, a lot of people want these BluRay drives in their macs, and yet Apple isn't responding... Stevo Jobso, did say some time ago that they would support BluRay, but thus far, I see nothing.

Yet Toast has a section that allows the Mac to Burn BluRay discs, but I don't even know which burner to buy?

Is there something out there that is BluRay and Mac compatible? Or is ANYTHING with FireWire or USB2 compatible with the mac?

Oh one last dumb question : LightScribe... does it use ink to print on discs? And if so, where do you refill the cartridges? or is this another technology?

25. macrumors 6502

Yeah, but it was August '06 to a silent update in April '07 ... 10 months. As I said, it could happen, I just don't see it as too likely given Apple's update frequency, silent or otherwise.