Why no DL drive in the MacBookPro?

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by Temujin, Jan 12, 2006.

1. Temujin macrumors 6502a

Temujin

I was just wondering why the MacBookPro wont ship with a DL drive. Are they giving up this technology?

2. generik macrumors 601

generik

Cost cutting measures, so they can deliver a slower computer at a slightly lower high price.

3. mdavey macrumors 6502a

mdavey

No, its because they needed to use an ultraslim model (slimmer than the ones in the PPC laptops and in the Mac mini). No-one makes a DL version in that form-factor.

4. ITASOR macrumors 601

ITASOR

Forget about DL, why does it burn at 4x instead of 8? Yikes.

5. Temujin thread starter macrumors 6502a

Temujin

Well that's a shame. It'll probably get the DL in the next revision. Or maybe blueray or HD-DVD :)

6. CanadaRAM macrumors G5

CanadaRAM

It's because DL blanks are so expensive, Apple decided it wouldn't be a good idea to release a product that depended on expensive third-party parts that nobody could get. Like Firewire 800.

For example, on the new MacBook they also went with the new, higher performance ExpressCard/34 slot, instead of the old PCMCIA slot technology. The ExpressCard/34 is part of the current standard PCI-e architecture, and it depends on...

expensive...

third-party parts...

that nobody...

can...

*Nevermind*

;)

7. nutmac macrumors 68030

17-inch PowerBook G4 was 1" thick and has DL capability. I understand MB Pro is a hair thinner than 17-inch PB, but I think Apple could've spared a hair for DL.