Why no mouse acceleration in mouse prefs?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by mark88, Jan 14, 2006.

1. mark88 macrumors 6502a

Oct 30, 2004
    Is there any reason why Apple continue not to add this feature? surely they've heard all the complaints from new mac users? If you switch between mac and windows on a regular basis without using any third party apps it's a real pain dealing with the slow mouse movements/scaling in OS X. I know you can use USB overdrive etc etc, but it costs $$ and I don't see why such a simple option is left out?

Is it such a hard thing to add? I'm confused...
  2. Verto macrumors 6502a

Jul 20, 2005
    Denton, TX

See if MouseZoom can alleviate some of your frustration.
  3. mark88 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Oct 30, 2004
    MouseZoon only allows you to adjust speed, I'm talking about scaling. ie, when you move your mouse a tiny bit, the OS X cursor hardly moves at all. It feels un-natural.

USB Overdrive is the best app I've found to overcome this problem, but my question is, why I have to go and look for an app in the first place for such a simple preference?
  4. bigboy99 macrumors 6502

Nov 12, 2005
    Deep in the Heart of Tejas
    On my PBG4 it now appears to be an automatic function based on the tracking speed set in Sys Prefs. If I have the track pad speed set to Fast I can move edge to edge with about 3/4 inch of movement if I move fast. Even with the setting at medium which gives much more detail if the movement speed is slow I can go edge to edge in about 50% of the track pad area if I move quickly. Similar results with a Kensington Bluetooth mouse.
  5. Gary King macrumors 6502

Jun 14, 2004
    This is the EXACT same problem that I have. It feels completely weird when I switch back and forth between my Windows and my Mac. I know that the problem is related to my Logitech mouse, though, because when I switch to a Mac mouse, it works fine.