WHy no new imac G5

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by themacman, Mar 3, 2005.

  1. themacman macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Jun 7, 2004
    Location:
    kc
    #1
    Im looking into buying an iMac, would the new imac be significantly faster or would it be better to buy this one as a referb
     
  2. mcgarry macrumors 6502a

    mcgarry

    Joined:
    Oct 19, 2004
    #2
    I know exactly "what Apple did not release," including new iMacs, on Tuesday. Why is another matter entirely.

    But seriously, we're all just guessing, and your guess is as good as ...
     
  3. Yvan256 macrumors 601

    Yvan256

    Joined:
    Jul 5, 2004
    Location:
    Canada
    #3
    They couldn't release new computers this week. The new iPods/pricings were out only last week. They're keeping their frontpage, the news and competitors busy for at least two weeks before introducing something new.

    I'd expect iMac and/or iBook updates next week, though.

    As soon as iBooks are updated, I'm ordering the 12" (unless the options on the 14" makes it a lot better choice).

    I'd like to be able to order a 8" iBook, though...
     
  4. CaptainCaveMann macrumors 68000

    CaptainCaveMann

    Joined:
    Oct 5, 2004
    #4
    You can bet you money that the ibooks will not be updated next week. :rolleyes:
     
  5. NewtypeCJ macrumors 6502

    NewtypeCJ

    Joined:
    Feb 27, 2005
    Location:
    Decatur, GA
    #5
    I've got my fingers crossed and my bank account ready for an iMac update. They've got to update their site and store to read that it's shipping with iLife '05, and the way I figure it is that they're holding off until the refresh to do it instead of doing a half-step now. ;) Or at least, that's the hope I'm hanging on to.

    If not, I'll be waiting a few more months I guess. *shrug* Apple could have my money now, or maybe later. Whichever.
     
  6. mcgarry macrumors 6502a

    mcgarry

    Joined:
    Oct 19, 2004
    #6
    I agree with the Captain on this ... I'd be shocked to see an iBook update next week.
     
  7. Platform macrumors 68030

    Platform

    Joined:
    Dec 30, 2004
    #7
    The iMac need's a update
    Speed bumb
    128MB GPU
    ++ :rolleyes:
     
  8. liketom macrumors 601

    liketom

    Joined:
    Apr 8, 2004
    Location:
    Lincoln,UK
    #8
    iMac first next week or week after -

    iBooks slight update in april maybe with a new iBook + iPod Shuffle package

    can see a speed hump for the iBook, 1.33 standard speed 12" + 14" 60gb / 80gb 4200 hdd /32mb Vram/ 256mb ram / superdrive 8x BTO on 14" only
     
  9. CaptainCaveMann macrumors 68000

    CaptainCaveMann

    Joined:
    Oct 5, 2004
    #9
    Id really like to see at least 64 mb of vram in the next update. ;)
     
  10. daveL macrumors 68020

    daveL

    Joined:
    Jun 18, 2003
    Location:
    Montana
    #10
    The consumer line has nowhere to go until the PM gets at least a speed bump.
     
  11. minimax macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Feb 9, 2005
    #11
    They have just updated the powerbook so to update the ibook so shortly after wouldnt make much sense. That would kill part of the powerbook sales.
    My guess would be powermac update somewhere end of march, imac update a month later and the ibook to close the line. After the ibook it would be time for a first upgrade of the mac mini.
     
  12. CaptainCaveMann macrumors 68000

    CaptainCaveMann

    Joined:
    Oct 5, 2004
    #12
    Thats a good speculation. I could definately see it going that way.
     
  13. aussie_geek macrumors 65816

    aussie_geek

    Joined:
    Apr 19, 2004
    Location:
    Sydney Australia
    #13
    I agree. I think Apple is either really having problems with IBM and their chips or trying to stretch it out until WWDC. The WWDC is so far away though... I have 5 grand ready to throw at a PowerMac - I wish they would hurry up.

    aussie_geek
     
  14. wdlove macrumors P6

    wdlove

    Joined:
    Oct 20, 2002
    #14
    It probably all depends the urgency of your current needs. IMHO the WWDC isn't all that far off. At this point it makes a lot of sense to wait for Tiger to purchase a new Mac.
     
  15. caveman_uk Guest

    caveman_uk

    Joined:
    Feb 17, 2003
    Location:
    Hitchin, Herts, UK
    #15
    Exactly. The powermac wouldn't look very powerful if the imacs were (at least in terms of processor speed) faster than them.

    This is the same reason i don't expect new ibooks for a while. The powerbooks only just got an update which allowed them to pull away from the ibooks.
     
  16. Yvan256 macrumors 601

    Yvan256

    Joined:
    Jul 5, 2004
    Location:
    Canada
    #16
    An iBook update doesn't need to "keep up" with the new PowerBooks.

    Here's what I'd expect for the new 12" iBook:
    - G4/1.25GHz (50MHz upgrade simply to be equal to the Mac mini and eMac)
    - 12" 1024x768 (can't do anything here, the new 12" PowerBook still has the same resolution)
    - Upgrade the Radeon 9200 to 64MB VRAM (PowerBooks still have a better GPU)
    - 40GB HD as standard for the 12" iBook
    - Current built-in 256MB with a single SODIMM slot is fine (in fact I wish the Mac mini was like that)

    So, a small CPU upgrade of 50MHz and 10GB HD increase for the 12", 64MB VRAM (but still Radeon 9200) for all iBooks, same prices.

    ...

    Well, I guess the 14" models are kinda stuck at where they are except for the VRAM. Other minor upgrades would be possible for the 12", but that's about it. A 50MHz upgrade is nothing to really notice, and a bigger HD is available with BTO options...

    I'm glad I'm not Apple right now, I can't think of any way to upgrade the iBooks, after all. :D

    Will the iBooks stay as they are until the next PowerBook upgrade?! Because I sure can't see any way to upgrade them without making the PowerBooks look like a bad deal. :confused:
     
  17. johnnyjibbs macrumors 68030

    johnnyjibbs

    Joined:
    Sep 18, 2003
    Location:
    London, UK
    #17
    eMacs are in dire need of an update. iMacs are next, although they must be waiting for the PowerMac updates. Maybe Apple could just price drop the 2.5GHz model or stick a 2.3GHz model in and do away with the 1.8 model. That would allow iMacs to move up to 1.8 and 2.0 GHz G5s at least. And hopefully a new GPU in there.

    It seems that IBM is the problem here. As soon as 3GHz G5 chips are sorted out, the Power Macs will be updated and so will everything else.
     
  18. BakedBeans macrumors 68040

    BakedBeans

    Joined:
    May 6, 2004
    Location:
    What's Your Favorite Posish
    #18
    we seem to be "in the same boat"

    im waiting for the biggest computer purchase of my life, i need to get this one right


    i think jonnyjibbs has a good point
     
  19. Etrain macrumors 6502

    Etrain

    Joined:
    Feb 26, 2005
    Location:
    Land of Cleve
    #19
    <Steps onto soap box>

    Some of these posts make me laugh. Maybe it is because I am new to the world of Macs, but in PC land if you need a computer you buy it because the update won't be too much better. So say if right now you have the money for a PM or an iMac and need a computer. Right now the iMac is 1.8GHz with the 20" for $1900. Lets pretend they update them in April. So you just bought this model and the new one sports 2.0GHz. Will you really even notice? I doubt it.

    Waiting has it's benefits, but also it's downfalls. When I bought my Gateway 3 years ago I was so excited about it. Then the next month they updated the line with a cooler looking tower (silver and black vs. my beige) and some little performance increases. I really kicked myself for not waiting but then I realized that compared to my Win 95 running 200MHz paper weight, it was awesome and either way it was a great computer. Worry about today, not tomorrow because the tech. industry advances to fast that in a year it is already outdated.


    That said, I am waiting but that is due to financial reasons. Come May I will be buying a 20" iMac with or without an update because as it is right now is a nice step up from my computer. Either way you will be getting one hell of a nice computer.


    Just my $.02

    </Steps off soap box>
     
  20. CaptainCaveMann macrumors 68000

    CaptainCaveMann

    Joined:
    Oct 5, 2004
    #20
    Well said bro. I agree. Its been said on this forum before that the best time to buy a computer is when you need it. ;)
     
  21. BakedBeans macrumors 68040

    BakedBeans

    Joined:
    May 6, 2004
    Location:
    What's Your Favorite Posish
    #21
    to be honest, the reason why we wait for updates is because the update cycle is so slow, its a good chance that this powermac update cycle is going to be about a year, meaning waiting means having better video cards, more ram, much faster processors - his isnt the PC world and things happen differently - you say you got a gateway three years ago? well in 5/6/7 years people are still going to be using there powermacs and even iMacs, the main reasons for waiting are, better product and less money for longer usage - make massive sense
     
  22. The Black Rock macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Feb 14, 2005
    #22
    And besides, you can't change the logicboard on the iMac G5. So you want things as future-proof as you can possibly get.
     
  23. Xtremehkr macrumors 68000

    Xtremehkr

    Joined:
    Jul 4, 2004
    #23
    When the iMacs are updated, if they are bumped to say 2.0 Ghz with a better graphics card, is there any way that you could take the midplane of one of the new units and put it into an existing 1.8Ghz iMac 20"? Or possibly wait and do it when rev C comes out?

    It would be cheaper than getting a whole new computer. I would just replace the insides every now and then.

    Possible or not?
     
  24. Xtremehkr macrumors 68000

    Xtremehkr

    Joined:
    Jul 4, 2004
    #24
    well, maybe that answers my question. Just the logicboard? or does the whole plane need to be replaced?
     

Share This Page