Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

themacman

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 7, 2004
kc
Im looking into buying an imac, would the new imac be significantly faster or would it be better to buy this one as a referb

mcgarry

macrumors 6502a
Oct 19, 2004
I know exactly "what Apple did not release," including new iMacs, on Tuesday. Why is another matter entirely.

But seriously, we're all just guessing, and your guess is as good as ...

Yvan256

macrumors 603
Jul 5, 2004
Canada
They couldn't release new computers this week. The new iPods/pricings were out only last week. They're keeping their frontpage, the news and competitors busy for at least two weeks before introducing something new.

I'd expect iMac and/or iBook updates next week, though.

As soon as iBooks are updated, I'm ordering the 12" (unless the options on the 14" makes it a lot better choice).

I'd like to be able to order a 8" iBook, though...

CaptainCaveMann

macrumors 68000
Oct 5, 2004
Yvan256 said:
They couldn't release new computers this week. The new iPods/pricings were out only last week. They're keeping their frontpage, the news and competitors busy for at least two weeks before introducing something new.

I'd expect iMac and/or iBook updates next week, though.

As soon as iBooks are updated, I'm ordering the 12" (unless the options on the 14" makes it a lot better choice).

I'd like to be able to order a 8" iBook, though...
You can bet you money that the ibooks will not be updated next week. :rolleyes:

NewtypeCJ

macrumors 6502
Feb 27, 2005
Seattle, WA
I've got my fingers crossed and my bank account ready for an iMac update. They've got to update their site and store to read that it's shipping with iLife '05, and the way I figure it is that they're holding off until the refresh to do it instead of doing a half-step now. ;) Or at least, that's the hope I'm hanging on to.

If not, I'll be waiting a few more months I guess. *shrug* Apple could have my money now, or maybe later. Whichever.

mcgarry

macrumors 6502a
Oct 19, 2004
CaptainCaveMann said:
You can bet you money that the ibooks will not be updated next week. :rolleyes:

I agree with the Captain on this ... I'd be shocked to see an iBook update next week.

liketom

macrumors 601
Apr 8, 2004
Lincoln,UK
iMac first next week or week after -

iBooks slight update in april maybe with a new iBook + iPod Shuffle package

can see a speed hump for the iBook, 1.33 standard speed 12" + 14" 60gb / 80gb 4200 hdd /32mb Vram/ 256mb ram / superdrive 8x BTO on 14" only

CaptainCaveMann

macrumors 68000
Oct 5, 2004
liketom said:
iMac first next week or week after -

iBooks slight update in april maybe with a new iBook + iPod Shuffle package

can see a speed hump for the iBook, 1.33 standard speed 12" + 14" 60gb / 80gb 4200 hdd /32mb Vram/ 256mb ram / superdrive 8x BTO on 14" only
Id really like to see at least 64 mb of vram in the next update. ;)

minimax

macrumors 6502
Feb 9, 2005
They have just updated the powerbook so to update the ibook so shortly after wouldnt make much sense. That would kill part of the powerbook sales.
My guess would be powermac update somewhere end of march, imac update a month later and the ibook to close the line. After the ibook it would be time for a first upgrade of the mac mini.

CaptainCaveMann

macrumors 68000
Oct 5, 2004
minimax said:
They have just updated the powerbook so to update the ibook so shortly after wouldnt make much sense. That would kill part of the powerbook sales.
My guess would be powermac update somewhere end of march, imac update a month later and the ibook to close the line. After the ibook it would be time for a first upgrade of the mac mini.
Thats a good speculation. I could definately see it going that way.

aussie_geek

macrumors 65816
Apr 19, 2004
Sydney Australia
daveL said:
The consumer line has nowhere to go until the PM gets at least a speed bump.

I agree. I think Apple is either really having problems with IBM and their chips or trying to stretch it out until WWDC. The WWDC is so far away though... I have 5 grand ready to throw at a PowerMac - I wish they would hurry up.

aussie_geek

wdlove

macrumors P6
Oct 20, 2002
aussie_geek said:
I agree. I think Apple is either really having problems with IBM and their chips or trying to stretch it out until WWDC. The WWDC is so far away though... I have 5 grand ready to throw at a PowerMac - I wish they would hurry up.

aussie_geek

It probably all depends the urgency of your current needs. IMHO the WWDC isn't all that far off. At this point it makes a lot of sense to wait for Tiger to purchase a new Mac.

caveman_uk

Feb 17, 2003
Hitchin, Herts, UK
daveL said:
The consumer line has nowhere to go until the PM gets at least a speed bump.
Exactly. The powermac wouldn't look very powerful if the imacs were (at least in terms of processor speed) faster than them.

This is the same reason i don't expect new ibooks for a while. The powerbooks only just got an update which allowed them to pull away from the ibooks.

Yvan256

macrumors 603
Jul 5, 2004
Canada
caveman_uk said:
Exactly. The powermac wouldn't look very powerful if the imacs were (at least in terms of processor speed) faster than them.

This is the same reason i don't expect new ibooks for a while. The powerbooks only just got an update which allowed them to pull away from the ibooks.

An iBook update doesn't need to "keep up" with the new PowerBooks.

Here's what I'd expect for the new 12" iBook:
- G4/1.25GHz (50MHz upgrade simply to be equal to the Mac mini and eMac)
- 12" 1024x768 (can't do anything here, the new 12" PowerBook still has the same resolution)
- Upgrade the Radeon 9200 to 64MB VRAM (PowerBooks still have a better GPU)
- 40GB HD as standard for the 12" iBook
- Current built-in 256MB with a single SODIMM slot is fine (in fact I wish the Mac mini was like that)

So, a small CPU upgrade of 50MHz and 10GB HD increase for the 12", 64MB VRAM (but still Radeon 9200) for all iBooks, same prices.

Well, I guess the 14" models are kinda stuck at where they are except for the VRAM. Other minor upgrades would be possible for the 12", but that's about it. A 50MHz upgrade is nothing to really notice, and a bigger HD is available with BTO options...

I'm glad I'm not Apple right now, I can't think of any way to upgrade the iBooks, after all. :D

Will the iBooks stay as they are until the next PowerBook upgrade?! Because I sure can't see any way to upgrade them without making the PowerBooks look like a bad deal. :confused:

johnnyjibbs

macrumors 68030
Sep 18, 2003
London, UK
eMacs are in dire need of an update. iMacs are next, although they must be waiting for the PowerMac updates. Maybe Apple could just price drop the 2.5GHz model or stick a 2.3GHz model in and do away with the 1.8 model. That would allow iMacs to move up to 1.8 and 2.0 GHz G5s at least. And hopefully a new GPU in there.

It seems that IBM is the problem here. As soon as 3GHz G5 chips are sorted out, the Power Macs will be updated and so will everything else.

BakedBeans

macrumors 68040
May 6, 2004
What's Your Favorite Posish
aussie_geek said:

aussie_geek

we seem to be "in the same boat"

im waiting for the biggest computer purchase of my life, i need to get this one right

i think jonnyjibbs has a good point

Etrain

macrumors 6502
Feb 26, 2005
Land of Cleve
<Steps onto soap box>

Some of these posts make me laugh. Maybe it is because I am new to the world of Macs, but in PC land if you need a computer you buy it because the update won't be too much better. So say if right now you have the money for a PM or an iMac and need a computer. Right now the iMac is 1.8GHz with the 20" for $1900. Lets pretend they update them in April. So you just bought this model and the new one sports 2.0GHz. Will you really even notice? I doubt it.

Waiting has it's benefits, but also it's downfalls. When I bought my Gateway 3 years ago I was so excited about it. Then the next month they updated the line with a cooler looking tower (silver and black vs. my beige) and some little performance increases. I really kicked myself for not waiting but then I realized that compared to my Win 95 running 200MHz paper weight, it was awesome and either way it was a great computer. Worry about today, not tomorrow because the tech. industry advances to fast that in a year it is already outdated.

That said, I am waiting but that is due to financial reasons. Come May I will be buying a 20" iMac with or without an update because as it is right now is a nice step up from my computer. Either way you will be getting one hell of a nice computer.

Just my $.02

</Steps off soap box>

CaptainCaveMann

macrumors 68000
Oct 5, 2004
Etrain said:
<Steps onto soap box>

Some of these posts make me laugh. Maybe it is because I am new to the world of Macs, but in PC land if you need a computer you buy it because the update won't be too much better. So say if right now you have the money for a PM or an iMac and need a computer. Right now the iMac is 1.8GHz with the 20" for $1900. Lets pretend they update them in April. So you just bought this model and the new one sports 2.0GHz. Will you really even notice? I doubt it.

Waiting has it's benefits, but also it's downfalls. When I bought my Gateway 3 years ago I was so excited about it. Then the next month they updated the line with a cooler looking tower (silver and black vs. my beige) and some little performance increases. I really kicked myself for not waiting but then I realized that compared to my Win 95 running 200MHz paper weight, it was awesome and either way it was a great computer. Worry about today, not tomorrow because the tech. industry advances to fast that in a year it is already outdated.

That said, I am waiting but that is due to financial reasons. Come May I will be buying a 20" iMac with or without an update because as it is right now is a nice step up from my computer. Either way you will be getting one hell of a nice computer.

Just my $.02

</Steps off soap box>
Well said bro. I agree. Its been said on this forum before that the best time to buy a computer is when you need it. ;)

BakedBeans

macrumors 68040
May 6, 2004
What's Your Favorite Posish
Etrain said:
<Steps onto soap box></Steps off soap box>

to be honest, the reason why we wait for updates is because the update cycle is so slow, its a good chance that this powermac update cycle is going to be about a year, meaning waiting means having better video cards, more ram, much faster processors - his isnt the PC world and things happen differently - you say you got a gateway three years ago? well in 5/6/7 years people are still going to be using there powermacs and even iMacs, the main reasons for waiting are, better product and less money for longer usage - make massive sense

The Black Rock

macrumors regular
Feb 14, 2005
And besides, you can't change the logicboard on the iMac G5. So you want things as future-proof as you can possibly get.

Xtremehkr

macrumors 68000
Jul 4, 2004
When the iMacs are updated, if they are bumped to say 2.0 Ghz with a better graphics card, is there any way that you could take the midplane of one of the new units and put it into an existing 1.8Ghz iMac 20"? Or possibly wait and do it when rev C comes out?

It would be cheaper than getting a whole new computer. I would just replace the insides every now and then.

Possible or not?

Xtremehkr

macrumors 68000
Jul 4, 2004
The Black Rock said:
And besides, you can't change the logicboard on the iMac G5. So you want things as future-proof as you can possibly get.

well, maybe that answers my question. Just the logicboard? or does the whole plane need to be replaced?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.