Why no offical responce from apple

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by Frump, Feb 13, 2003.

1. Frump macrumors member

Frump

I have just ordered the new 17 FP iMac. What makes me nervous are all the reports about the display quality. Fuzzy fonts and ghosting problems seem to be the norm on the FP 17. I have also read all of tricks that one can do to lessen the problem but nobody has been able to solve the issue. One user is convinced that it is a software problem because with Virtual PC running XP, every thing looks great. Why is it that Apple have not addressed the problem. Users complaining to the Apple helpdesk are been told that this is the first time that they have heard of the problem. I have read so many report's that I have to say that the apple helpdesk is not telling the truth. One of the reasons for me buying the Imac is the fantastic display that Apple rave about.

Please don't reply with any tips for correcting the problem with software tweaks. I have read so many and nobody seems to be really happy with them. I am a switcher and experienced computer user. I am trained in graphics design and I currently work in networking. I have heard so many good things about apple and now I am starting to hear so many negative things.

WHY NO OFFICAL RESPONCE FROM APPLE?

Frump.

2. iShater macrumors 604

iShater

I havn't seen any issues with the 17" FP, I try them out all the time at the AppleStore and CompUSA. Last weekend we picked a last-generation 800Mhz 17" for my buddy and he is absolutely loving it and has no issues with the display (he has a Dell with a 19" CRT)

3. Eniregnat macrumors 68000

Eniregnat

Put a fence or a sign in front of a cliff to keep people from falling off of it and you are acknowledging a problem, thus inviting lawsuits or at very least criticism. Weather the problem is widespread or not, much of it seems to be heralded about on boards. Most companies shy away from publicly acknowledging problems unless safety is concerned especially when they come from what looks like a rumor mill.

I know a few flat panel iMac owners and have heard of no problems from them. I have read the boards, and it reminds me of cracks in the iBook cases that I never experienced, but other people did. The handle cracks turned out to be the only ones that seemed to be part of a design flaw. The remodeled the handles replaced them for those that had problems, but never acknowledged that there was a problem. I wouldn’t worry. If Apple produces shoddy machines and code then it won’t survive. I wouldn’t try to find problems before you get you Mac. It’s pointless worry that you can’t do anything about, and it is likely that your worry is unwarranted.

Hope it all works out.

4. FelixDerKater macrumors 68000

FelixDerKater

You may try opening up System Preferences and going to General, then where it says "Font smoothing style:", choose "Medium - best for Flat Panel".

5. dynamicd macrumors 6502

I've had my 17" since August and have had no problems with it. Also have a friend who got one the same time and his is still in tip-top shape. I haven't heard of the problems that you speak of.

6. MorganX macrumors 6502a

MorganX

Re: Why no offical responce from apple

You will also experience this on PCs if you do not use the native resolution for the monitor. I'm more concerned about the dead pixel FUD. Not so much the problem, but the fact that so many say Apple won't replace it under warranty unless they deem it "bad" enough.

If I notice it and it distracts me, it's bad enough.

7. iGav macrumors G3

Re: Re: Why no offical responce from apple

Obviously...... :p

Although as I understand it, Apple are no different here from many other manufacturers.....

8. Bear macrumors G3

I haven't seen any iMac G4's (15" or 17") that have display problems. Could it be one (or two) incident(s) that has been repeated everywhere?

Remember tales spread quickly on the net. I don't think there's a widespread problem with the iMac G4 screens.

9. dstorey macrumors 6502a

someone on the 10.2.4 thread mentioned that their iMac fp looked sharper with font's etc when they upgraded OS X to 10.2.4 so if there is a problem maybe this will fix it..

10. Skandranon macrumors regular

Why?

That's "Response," my good man.

11. Bear macrumors G3

Re: Why?

The person who posted that is in Germany, therefore English is probably not their native language. At least the word was understandable if slightly mangled.

12. MorganX macrumors 6502a

MorganX

Re: Re: Re: Why no offical responce from apple

I wouldn't know when it comes to this issue. Even our cheapest Spectra LCDs have not had a problem, and we've purchased a lot.

I tell you if I got dead pixels and it distracted my eyes while working, it's bad enough to be replaced, especially on a premium prices model.

13. Frump thread starter macrumors member

Frump

Re: Why?

Yes a spelling mistake on my part. (shoot me)

I am relieved to hear that this FP issue is probably not the norm.
    I guess I will have to wait and see. I have setup allot of FP's at work and have noticed some really bad ones.

I am looking forward to a new and better computing experience.

Frump.

14. LethalWolfe macrumors G3

LethalWolfe

Re: Re: Re: Re: Why no offical responce from apple

'

What you think is bad enough to be replaced and what the manufacturer thinks is bad enough to be replaced are usually two different things. AFAIK Apple's dead pixel policy is pretty much industry standard (not the best, not the worst).

Lethal

15. MrMacMan macrumors 604

MrMacMan

I have the 17".

No problems, well, at all. No dead pixels no 'fuzzy fonts' I mean crisp and clean.
    Perfect for me.