Why no Quadro 4500?

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by Fuzzy Orange, Aug 29, 2006.

1. Fuzzy Orange macrumors 6502

Fuzzy Orange

I was looking on Apple's website to see if they offered the Quadro separatly from the BTO option when buying the mac pro. To my surprise, they didn't offer it. They offer the ATI X1900XT, so why not offer the Quadro? I don't think I can, but is it possible to buy the Quadro from Newegg or something along the lines of that?

2. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

Apple doesn't offer a whole heck of a lot of cards as OEM kits.

And based on the cost of the Quadro, and the limited number of Mac Pros sold -- don't expect Nvidia to offer it retail either.

3. Daedalus256 macrumors 6502

I'm trying to think...I know there are (obviously) Quadros on Newegg, however I'm not sure if they'd work.

Chances are since the new macs run on x86, x86 hardware in general should work but who knows really. You could always order one on newegg and if it doesn't work just return it, newegg's return policy is awesome.

4. scorpion151 macrumors newbie

go get that otehr card that supposed to be like it (7800?) and just turn it in to the quadro... get mess with it a little and save yourself a few thousand... get the drivers of thepriratebay or soemthing... all that card really is , is the drivers.

5. Lollypop macrumors 6502a

Lollypop

I dont know why there is no Quardo for the Mac Pro, but you cant just use any quadro in the macs, besides drivers wouldnt the card also have to sport compatibility with EFI based systems?

6. stevo86 macrumors member

they're probably not selling it in a kit because most professionals that will even buy the card will just get it BTO anyway. They might sell a grand total of like 4 cards after in retail kits which clearly wouldn't be worth it. People know if they'll be needing the Quadro when they buy the computer.

7. ampd macrumors regular

ampd

I would have to say that since I viewed the mac pro as being the most expandable and customizable mac yet, that apple would release an OEM kit to add the quadro in at a later time. I really hope that they offer it as there are always people who might want to go that direction at a later time.

8. Fuzzy Orange thread starter macrumors 6502

Fuzzy Orange

Exactly what I was thinking. What if someone doesn't need the Quadro right now, but would like the idea of it being available on Apple's website?