Why no refurbished Mac minis?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by sigamy, May 12, 2005.

1. sigamy macrumors 65816

I'm always checking the Special Deals page looking for something too good to be true. It hit me the other day that the Mac mini has been out for a few months now and still haven't been any refurbs available.

I guess I haven't heard of any major issues with the mini so maybe the number of refurbs is just much smaller than the iBook or iMac?

Or could price be an issue and Apple doesn't want to offer refurb minis at 11% - 20% off retail?

2. Dont Hurt Me macrumors 603

Dont Hurt Me

Bingo, Macmini was all proven older tech. Apple did a better job on this rev A.

3. JasonL macrumors regular

It seems to me that refurb prices end up being pretty close to edu prices. Having said that, the edu discount on the mini is a paltry $20. These systems sell for a somewhat slim profit margin I'm thinking, so I certainly wouldn't go expecting $100 discounts or anything.

If you can wait a little while and really want to save money on a mini, you might be able to pick up a new (original) mini on sale (for more than $20 off) when the revision comes out.

edit: On a sidenote, I guess I'm the only one bothered by calling the original design of an apple computer product line a rev. A system. Rev means revision, no? Thus, how could the original mini be called a rev. A? It's not a revision at all. :confused:

4. James Philp macrumors 65816

James Philp

Not sure on the whole Rev thing!

Why no refurb Mini? - They don't bust! All you get is a tidy package. Your screen break on a mini? - Screen goes back etc. As was said before, all the stuff in there is proven technology.