Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

zippyfly

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 22, 2008
Hello. Need some help from the ObjC pros.

id generalData;
SpecificA *spec1 = [SpecificA new];
SpecificB *spec2 = [SpecificB new];

generalData = spec1;
generalData = spec2;

QUESTION: Why is it not

id *generalData;

missing the dereferencing operator *???

Aren't all objects in ObjC really just pointers to struts? And therefore, the id "superclass" type should have generalData declared as a pointer, no?

Thanks,
Quite Confused.

HiRez

macrumors 603
Jan 6, 2004
Western US
QUESTION: Why is it not

id *generalData;

missing the dereferencing operator *???

Aren't all objects in ObjC really just pointers to struts? And therefore, the id "superclass" type should have generalData declared as a pointer, no?

Thanks,
Quite Confused.
id already is implicitly a pointer by definition, so you don't need to add the pointer specifier. I personally think they shouldn't have built it in (hidden it), and instead forced you to type id *myThing, as I think it would be more clear. But just read it as "id *" when you see it.

zippyfly

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 22, 2008
Thanks! Phew. You have no idea how much you helped clear up. It is really confusing for a beginner.

You are right, it should have been implemented to be declared specifically. After all, a lot of the syntax is supposed to force us to be clear about things and for the compiler to help check stuff at compile time.

I wonder if I can still use * without a compiler error? (Will try it later with gcc).

Actually, do you (or anyone else) have any general guideline about when to use * and when not to? (I still have not grokked a "golden rule" yet about this).

I know about using * to dereference, etc. a-la standard C; I am just sometimes confused why we use * and sometimes not, when dealing with objects.

I figured that anything inside the [brackets] is ObjC helping to "pre-process" the OOP stuff, so we don't use * inside the brackets, but outside of them, it sometimes gets confusing since there seem to exceptions to rules (as in the abovementioned original problem I had).

TIA!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.