Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

brinycbri

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 13, 2007
I dont get it. If they really want this product to do well, how come I haven't seen on adverstisement, video or print, about this product. I have a feeling if I didn't watch Steve's address or walk into an apple store in a metro city, I wouldn't know about this product at all?:confused:

FreeState

macrumors 68000
Jun 24, 2004
San Diego, CA
I dont get it. If they really want this product to do well, how come I haven't seen on adverstisement, video or print, about this product. I have a feeling if I didn't watch Steve's address or walk into an apple store in a metro city, I wouldn't know about this product at all?:confused:

There is an advertisement for it on the the front page of the iTunes store - I'd wager to bet that more people visit that page any given day than watch a specific time from on a TV show or read any paper etc. iTunes users are there #1 target for this device, so it makes since to me - why pay for advertising when you have a built in target audience?

MikieMikie

macrumors 6502a
Aug 7, 2007
Newton, MA
Let's see... what are they going to advertise?

Coming soon -- a reasonable number of HD rentals?

Coming soon -- a reasonable number of SD rentals?

I think they're right to wait before hitting the mainstream ad channels. They need to have a decent amount of content available.

Pigumon

macrumors 6502
Aug 4, 2004
Not ready

Look at the myriad of problems posted just here on macrumors for the apple tv.

They're waiting for all of the early adopters to do their job of working out the bugs. :p

secondcup

macrumors member
Feb 12, 2008
Let's see... what are they going to advertise?

Coming soon -- a reasonable number of HD rentals?

Coming soon -- a reasonable number of SD rentals?

I think they're right to wait before hitting the mainstream ad channels. They need to have a decent amount of content available.

I agree. They are currently marketing to us Apple devotees and early adopters. Given the slow start they had with version 1, I'd wager that they're still trying to re-coup r&d dollars. Once they hit a certain point, they'll ramp up advertising to the "unwashed masses"

:)

JimmyDreams

macrumors 6502
Jul 24, 2007
Look at the myriad of problems posted just here on macrumors for the apple tv.

They're waiting for all of the early adopters to do their job of working out the bugs. :p

+1. They need more movies and a slightly more polished setup before they'll turn it loose on the unwashed. :D

I love mine, and recommend it to all my friends. One even just put in Univison (or whatever that's called) and because he can convert his DVD's to digital media, he's thinking about switching.:p

cohibadad

macrumors 6502a
Jul 21, 2007
maybe when they enlarge their library they'll advertise it. I guess they could push the Michael Clayton rental but the selection is pretty lacking at the moment.

harcosparky

macrumors 68020
Jan 14, 2008
+1.

I love mine, and recommend it to all my friends. One even just put in Univison (or whatever that's called) and because he can convert his DVD's to digital media, he's thinking about switching.:p

I took mine to my sisters house as it was a family gathering. Hooked it up to their huge TV and fired it up. Once the menus came up and they saw how many movies were inside it was a big hit.

I know my brother-in-law now wants to buy one, and I think my brother will also.

Advertising would not have swayed those two, but seeing it sure did the trick.

Word-of-mouth does more for a good product than advertising.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.