why not integrade an iPod store into the iTMS??

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by jholzner, Oct 7, 2004.

1. jholzner macrumors 65816

jholzner

I think Apple should integrade an iPod store directly into the iTMS. They have managed to create an entire ecosystem surrounding the iPod but to have all the accessories all in one place would be great. What better place than the iTMS. I know there is the apple online store but I think more people visit the iTMS than the online Appel store. Besides, the Apple store has sooo much other stuff to get in the way of just looking for iPod accessories. Plus, there are so many things out there that are NOT on the online store. Apple needs to offer all availabe iPod accessories they can find.

2. grapes911 Moderator emeritus

grapes911

All the accessories are in one place at the apple store under ipod accessories. And apple can't just put every accessory out there on their store. They have to carry the item and have an agreement with the manufacturer.

Edit:
    The link didn't work, but if you go to the apple store and click on ipod accessories you'll only get ipod accessories without the "other stuff to get in the way."

3. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

they offer a link from the iTMS to buy an iPod, and why should they have a store for all of the accessories? the vast majority of the accessories aren't made by Apple, so its not like they are going to make any money off of it

edit: plus it would make the iTMS that much more confusing, which is a very bad thing

4. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

Indeed. It's all about selling downloadable music and you certainly can't download hardware. If they were to provide more than a link, it would dilute their message and the simplicity of the site.

5. jholzner thread starter macrumors 65816

jholzner

The vast majority of the stuff Apple sells on their store isn't made by Apple. I think just a simple link in the music store that would take you to an iPod store. I hate how a link in the iTMS takes you out of the store to a website. Besides, the point of the store is to sell iPods, they would probably make more money from the sale of one iTrip than an entire album. Do you think Apple sells third pary products online and in their stores and makes NO profit from that sale? I don't think it would be confusing at all...not any more so than adding movie traielrs.

You click on an item it puts in in your shopping card. When you check out it downloads your songs and apple ships out your item. Seems much simpler to me than going to the online store.

6. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

Firstly, despite the fact that most accessories aren't made by Apple, they still sell it, and it would be easier to integrate it into the store. From your arguments, Apple shouldn't be selling non-Apple branded accessories at all, but they do.

The reason they don't may be because the iTMS store is handled by a segment of Apple that doesn't handle hardware. If they integrated iPod sales into iTMS, they would have to account for hardware purchases, get the orders through, and have to ship them. They would also have to handle updating the music and multimedia content at iTMS, but then do updates for hardware sales?? Its probably just easier for one group to handle all hardware and updates to the store, while another group concentrates on music sales and updating of iTMS.

7. jholzner thread starter macrumors 65816

jholzner

I can't tell if you are talking to me in that first paragraph or not. I never thought that apple shouldn't sell other's products. I was simply commenting on an earlier statement that if apple doesn't make it they aren't making ANY money on the sale. That is just not true.

Perhaps you are right and there are technical reasons behind not being able to do the ipod store within the music store. But if that is not the case I think it would increase iPod accessory sales at the least. I just think they have created an awsome ecosystem around the iPod and I would like to see it advertised a lot more.