Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bniu

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Mar 21, 2010
I wish Apple would just sell the watch faces separately from the bands. It would simplify inventory greatly and offer way more purchase options, and for those of us who already have lots of bands, it'd be nice to just buy the watch face and recycle our bands.

I don't care for all the packaging fluff, I measured that you could fit about 50 watch faces into the volume of one SS watch retail box. I wish I could save a few bucks and basically buy my watch bulk style.

oldmacs

macrumors 601
Sep 14, 2010
Australia
THANKYOU. I want a series 1 apple watch and the low price is one of the compelling factors, but Apple's horrible watch band combos make it a more expensive proposition.
Just sell the bloody watch and let let us choose a band.

Reactions: recoil80

Nell

macrumors 6502a
Jun 25, 2012
London
I think if I could buy a new watch without a strap I might be tempted but I'd also be tempted if the new watch came with any strap I don't have but want. The reality is I'd be paying for another white sport strap. I have one and even with two watches I'd only be able to use one at a time. So yes, bundling a strap with the watch helps their mark up but why not at least bundle some new colours so people aren't put off buying it completely.

exxxviii

macrumors 65816
May 20, 2015
I wish Apple would just sell the watch faces separately from the bands. It would simplify inventory greatly and offer way more purchase options, and for those of us who already have lots of bands, it'd be nice to just buy the watch face and recycle our bands.
Ditto. I wish they could create a BTO ordering approach that would let customers create their perfect combination. I bet people would even pay a little more for a BTO option versus one of the standard SKUs.

bniu

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Mar 21, 2010
But then how could they make all their money by marking up the total price by $50 by bundling a band that costs $2 to produce??

They'd also save the money by having a vastly simplified inventory system and can effectively increase their inventory availability. A simple stainless steel watchface in stock means now you have
several combos in stock, obviously, the inventories are nested, but it results in fewer "sorry, sold out of that model"

Reactions: Craiguyver
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.