why not to play with fire

Discussion in 'Community' started by metfoo, Dec 1, 2002.

1. metfoo macrumors member

i had an accident while cooking(deep frying actually) over a year ago. On a different messageboard, somebody had a thread about posting your wounds, so i figured i would post mine.

I have posted it on my own message board though due to the amount of pictures and the graphicness of the pictures.

See them here

i still have scars all throughout my hand. Doctors have told me they will eventually disappear, but it would take some time. They have lightened up and many people who know me say they are not as noticable as before.

2. diorio macrumors 6502a

Don't play with hot chocholate either...

When I was about 8 or 9 I had a accident with hot chocolate. I was at the airport with my parents waiting for some relatives to arrive and we went to the airport cafe. I got a hot chocolate and sat down. The table was wobbly and my hot chocholate fell off onto my leg. It left me with second degree burns and I had to go to the hospital. Not fun at all. :eek:

3. metfoo thread starter macrumors member

pain from a burn is the absolute worst pain to feel. my burns were so bad that it was a constant pain for weeks. They gave me some painkillers but they were never strong enought o make it all go away. it totally sucked

4. diorio macrumors 6502a

I totally agree with you on that.

5. wdlove macrumors P6

wdlove

Burns are a serious matter, great risk for infections. Do you have more recent photos? How long did you undergo physical therapy?

6. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

oh, those look nasty!!! Ouch.

I broke one of my fingers on my right hand, right at the part where the finger nail joins the skin in 8th grade ( someone stepped on my hand), it exposed the bone, but didn't really hurt till the doctor put it back....:D

My fingernail still doesn't grow correctly there and problably never will - but that's nothing compared to what you went through. Hope it heals nicely. Any recent pics?

D

7. jelloshotsrule macrumors G3

jelloshotsrule

interesting that the first date of pics look the "best"... as in, the least red and gruesome... guess it's part of the healing process. but it's odd to see that as the time passed, it looked worse... at least going by those pics.

8. scem0 macrumors 604

scem0

aaaaayyyyyeeeee.

That looks quite Painful.

My mom had a burn a lot worse then that though. Our dumbass
    cook at our business turned around and ran a boiling pot of water into my mom's hands, and then dumped the water all over
    her hands and arms

9. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

I guess I got lucky when I slipped and stuck my hand in one of the hot deep fryers, luckily there was a vat of shake mix a couple steps away - so I turned and instantly iced my hand.

Hurt like heck for a couple days, and heat brought pain for another week.

But I only ended up with something more like a sunburn, skin died and peeled off.

10. wdlove macrumors P6

wdlove

Sun Baked I'm glad that yours turned out so well, lucky & smart quick treatment applied that prevented further damage.

Yes, its part of granulation, the healing process. Important to prevent infection. Probably used Silvadine cream or another debriding agent dressing. The photos show a nice progression of healing with no infection.

11. diorio macrumors 6502a

Is that why your user name is Sun Baked?:D

12. Durandal7 macrumors 68040

I've been lucky. The most severe burn I've ever gotten burnt off most of the nerves in the area.

13. diorio macrumors 6502a

What did you do, stick it in a power socket?:eek:

14. BenderBot1138 macrumors 6502

Won't look...

Yea dukestreet, but where are your pictures... we want pictures of the bone sticking through the skin and all :eek:

:cool:

15. Durandal7 macrumors 68040

No, I slipped with a soldering iron. The thing is designed to melt metal so you can imagine how unpleasant it is when it contacts flesh.

16. diorio macrumors 6502a

I've worked with one of those, they get pretty darn hot. That would burn, I was always pretty afraid of those things, and I guess for good reason. They come in pretty handy though.

17. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

If I based my username on that, it would have been McFried - it was a McNugget vat I fried myself in, oops.

18. fatalerror101 macrumors newbie

Hey,

I know this begining has nothing todo w/ burns or battle wounds but Durandal7, Does MR support Wolfenstein????
    I love that game and i am not to shabby

I once burned my left thumb w/ a soder when i was gellping my father finish our radient heating system :( :) er yeah

PowerBook G4 1 GHZ

19. topicolo macrumors 68000

topicolo

Wow. That's the first time I've ever seen fourth degree burns. I can only imagine how painful that was. The worst damage I ever did was get a massive shard of glass embedded in my thumb. It severed a large vein and blood was pouring out everywhere.

This all happened during one of my organic chemistry labs when one of the previous groups in my section stuffed broken glass into my equipment locker.
    Bastids!

20. jefhatfield Retired

jefhatfield

the only really noticeable scar i have on my body is when i was a kid, i got my weenie stuck in my zipper...that is more than 25 years ago

at the time it hurt some, but not super bad

but it is the worst scar on my body and no, i won't post pictures:p :p :p

21. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

jefhatfield,

You were probably too young at the time to enjoy the jokes the doctors would throw about. :D

In my first year of college one of my drunk dorm mates was doing the drunk vaulting over poles around the statium next to the dorm while running -- until he missed. The EMT workers who transported him to the hospital where making the usual jokes to torture the college fools.

"I don't like the looks of that swelling. Looks like he's going to lose at least one of his balls like the motorcycle rider we brought in last week."

To make matters worse, all he had was tight jeans. So every step was extremely painful for a couple weeks.

Priceless freshman college moment. ;)

22. Durandal7 macrumors 68040

Re: Hey,

We did initially. Then we got into this mess involving another mac gaming clan and said that we wouldn't for now. Make a thread in Mac Gaming and see what the other members think of it.

23. fatalerror101 macrumors newbie

ok

I'll post it as soon as I get home :)

PowerBook G4 1ghz

24. wdlove macrumors P6

wdlove

I only have 2 scars, left upper arm small pox vaccination & right hand palm side 1" jagged from a glass cut with just the usual pain at the time and when I moved my hand till it healed. My only real experience is treating patients with injuries! ;)

25. topicolo macrumors 68000

topicolo

Eeew... I'm curious, how do women respond to it? ;)