Why not use nitoTV?

Discussion in 'Apple TV and Home Theater' started by fkntotalkaos, Dec 17, 2007.

1. macrumors 6502

Alright it looks as if .mkv files will play back using the newest version of nitotv. With a hacked version of Apple TV running NitoTV it will use the best option to play all new formats. It uses mplayer to play .mkv files, and will be able to have Dolby Digital have pass though?:confused: Mplayer also handles ts-video folders, .as well as Divix/xvid avi.

2. thread starter macrumors 6502

http://wiki.awkwardtv.org/wiki/NitoTV

Guys is anyone doing this patchstick approach to playing .mkv files? I love my apple tv so much I have sold my ps3, xbox 360 elite with HD-DVD and considering ditching the mini to.

3. macrumors newbie

Enabling SSH on the AppleTV requires either opening it up or a freshly formatted external drive with OS X on it. Either way, it's a huge pain in the rear, and nitoTV is somewhat of a hack (it's a bit error prone), although it has some very nice features.

I wish someone would hack FrontRow to add such features as interacting with SNES9x and using mplayer to play .mkv files. Or maybe someone has? Can someone point me to a Mac Mini as a media center forum? I'm about fed up with the AppleTV.

4. macrumors regular

It does not require opening the appletv or an external drive. All you need is a usb flash drive (at least 512mb) and the patchstick img.

Also im pretty sure you can install nito for frontrow on leopard, if thats what you meant?

5. macrumors newbie

All the guides to install nito that I've found said it required SSH, and to enable SSH it seemed like quite a chore.

Yes, that's exactly what I meant! Do you have any links that talk about that?

6. thread starter macrumors 6502

I am pretty sure it is USB flash. Other forums discuss this as a simple process:apple:

7. macrumors 604

Cave Man

You can check the link in my sig for a starter.

8. macrumors 68040

MovieCutter

It's a VERY simple process, I've done it a few times, took me about 10 minutes and I never had to crack open the AppleTV case.

http://wiki.awkwardtv.org/wiki/Beginners_Guide

9. thread starter macrumors 6502

are .mkv files working for you

10. macrumors member

eeboarder

I just modded my AppleTV without opening. Added 1 TB hard drive via USB. Sure is sweet.

Anyways, not so sure about mkv. I use Sapphire for everything, and then NitoTV for VIDEO_TS folders.

11. thread starter macrumors 6502

Would love to get my Apple TV playing video_ts folders. Maybe you can post a link or advice on how to do this. :D

12. macrumors member

eeboarder

13. macrumors member

Does Nitotv also play High definition .TS files like the ones found in the newsgroups? In frontrow you can now play .ts files from normal dvds, but my HD ones are unsupported