"Why on earth do you use a MAC"

Discussion in 'Community' started by dross, Oct 8, 2004.

1. dross macrumors regular

dross

I travel and see clients almost every week and it never fails in airports and boardrooms I get asked every day "Why on earth do you use a MAC..."

What is the proper reesponse to this questions?

2. wordmunger macrumors 603

wordmunger

No viruses, no spyware, no crashes, no hassles, why on earth would I use anything else?

3. zelmo macrumors 603

zelmo

I use a Mac (not a MAC) because I want a simple, elegant solution to computing.
    It has the best GUI on the planet.
    I don't have to worry about virii.
    It is powerful yet easy to use.
    It is based on UNIX, but you don't have to be a propellerhead to use it.
    When I look in the corner at my iMac, or see my PB on the table, I appreciate the clean design.
    It actually adds to the ambience of the space it inhabits, as opposed to being an eyesore that I want to hide away somewhere.
    The real question is, "Why aren't you using a Mac?"

4. SilentPanda Moderator emeritus

SilentPanda

A blank stare works best. Something like this -->> :eek:

I just don't bother responding.... maybe just tell them because you're better than them... :p

5. dross thread starter macrumors regular

dross

I like the blank stare aproch - it is simple yet eliquent.

6. virividox macrumors 601

virividox

Manila - Nottingham - Philadelphia - Santa Barbar
    i normally ignore comments and smirk when they get hit by viruses

7. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

Why even try and justify your choice with a response. Ask them what kind of car they drive....and let that hang in the air. If they don't get it, well, move on with your meeting :D

Its all personal preference and by putting them to a question you avoid having to deal with someone who might be trying to goad you into an argument....

D

8. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

My response: "Knowing all that you know about Microsoft and Windows, why on earth would you continue to use Windows?"

9. munkle macrumors 68030

munkle

I too like the condescending approach, maybe throw in a 'one day you'll understand' as you walk away ;)

10. King Cobra macrumors 603

By force of habit, I say. And since I've adopted enough to know my way around Macs, I suppose I got lucky.

11. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

Heh.
    "If you can snatch this pebble from my hand, grasshopper, maybe I will tell you."

12. SiliconAddict macrumors 603

SiliconAddict

I don't...well not yet at any rate. :rolleyes:

My response would be: Why do you care what computer I use?

If they response I was just interest:

Then go off on the reasons YOU purchased it. (You shouldn't need to have some speech written for an excuse and certainly you shouldn't need other Mac users to make up reasons.

Mine would be simple.

I've used Windows since mid 90's. I've admined 3.11, 95, 95C, 98, 98SE, NT, 2000, XP, Server 2003. While Windows has gotten a lot better in every facet of its operation I'm sick of dealing with its inconstancies, (You want an example? Go into the Font manager and select add new fonts. Notice anything? Its still using the GUI from Windows 3.11 in Windows XP!?!?!) I'm sick of dealing with its patches, I'm sick of dealing with compatibility issues, I'm sick of dealing with MS slimeball tactics to try and coerce users to upgrade. Frankly I am just sick of it. I got a Mac for one simple reason.
    Not to stick it to the man. Not to be the rebel in the crowd. No I got a Mac because I wanted to try the other side of the fence to see if its true about the grass over there. That and I deal with Widows issues at work day in and day out. When I come home I don't want to check for new patches. I don't want to upgrade my antivirus software defs. I just want to run my computer without needing to baby it. Period. End of store. You think I'm a Mac zealot for using a Mac? Buddy. I use a Mac because Windows hasn't gotten to the point where I'm happy with it yet. When it does then we can talk. Until then you enjoy your computer and I'll continue to enjoy mine.

It'll prob go something like that. :cool: Now if only Apple would release a G5 POwerBook to go along with that little rant I would be set. :rolleyes:

13. munkle macrumors 68030

munkle

:D
    "Much to learn you have, young Jedi, much to learn..." cue comments about the Dark Side...

14. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

Oh yeah! Nice!

15. Raid macrumors 68020

Raid

Well if they are your clients, I'd look them in the eye and respond "Because computer crashes cost you money, and I'm trying to come in on budget."

16. salmon macrumors regular

An excellent question - here are my reasons (not necessarily in order of importance):
    • Mac OS X - definitely the main reason. Fantastic, based on Unix. Awesome. Can't say enough how much I like this.
    • Apple isn't afraid of open source - they have embraced it like this. They understand that open source is the way of the future, and a superior way, and that their real value-add is the integration, polish and awesome end-user experience.
    • Apple's focus on design - it permeates everything they make, from their software through to their hardware and the integration of the two. I love the attention to detail. When I had my first iMac G3, and it went to sleep, I was deeply impressed with the power light "snoozing".
    • Apple has a small, but significant, market share. Because of this, they are forced to behave themselves somewhat, and adhere to standards. They also receive less attention from virus writers (and of course a superior OS helps as well - see the first point).
    • I HATE Microsoft, for so many reasons - crappy, closed, entrapping software mostly. There are very few Microsoft products I like - they just suck at building software.
    • Linux is too much of a pain for me to use. I love it for work, but when I'm at home, I don't want to mess around too much, I just want to be able to use it.
    • I'm not a big gamer, I only play an occasional game here and there.
    • I like to think that I DO "Think Different".

I have no doubt that if Apple controlled the market the way Microsoft does, they would be just as bad or worse. But until something changes for the worse, I'll be an Apple buyer.

(I just ordered my new iMac a couple of days ago - 3-4 weeks or more to go. *sigh*)

17. mischief macrumors 68030

mischief

To riff on an earlier post....

"I find your lack of Faith disturbing."

I too often use the car reference. As in:

" Don't you drive a BMW?"

(Yes)

" They're a bit too expensive for me and you really just use it to get from point a to point b so what's the difference? A car's a car right? Personally I just walk everywhere. Sure I get mugged, I'm never on time and shopping's a nightmare but hey... Why spend all that money on something my feet do anyway?" :D

18. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

Equally awesome.

19. dross thread starter macrumors regular

dross

Now that I like.

20. Doctor Q Administrator

Doctor Q

Staff Member

I'd say "I use the best tool for the job". That's the bottom line for a businessperson. If they want to know more, they'll ask and you can tell them.

21. rueyeet macrumors 65816

rueyeet

My number one reason, personally, would be: Because you can't run OS X on x86 processors without emulation. It's really OS X I'm after...the hardware's just gravy (and some tasty gravy it is!).

But I think that in your situation, I might get a little snarky and ask them what the latest Windows worm/virus scare was, listen to their answer, then say something like, "Huh. I haven't really had to pay attention to that stuff." Then go on with my day.

A lot depends on whether they're asking as a challenge, or just because they're that thrown out of their comfortable reality by seeing a Mac in a boardroom. :)

22. bigcreek macrumors member

I say . . .

Because the world is bigger than Microsoft.

(for the world is hollow, and I have touched the sky)

23. bdomz macrumors member

I'd just tell them that you can still use microsoft office on your mac and they'll probably shut up.

24. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

Without the MAC Addresses, how are we supposed to get online?

Even PC users use them...

25. AmigoMac macrumors 68020

AmigoMac

Because I want to spend the free time, listening music, admiring my family photos, editing videos and burning DVD's ... no patching my PC daily and formatting it monthly...

-Depending on the accent people have when asking Why I use a Mac...

I look : :) , :p , ;) , :D (When they get virus or the PC crashes), :eek: (For the wannabe PC user), :mad: (When they talk about how Win XP is a far better experience than the one they had in middle 90's with a Mac), :cool: (When I note how stupid the people are when they want to complain about macs and don't ask a single question about the system, worst, the only thing they know about macs is that TV add with "those PC's in different colors") ...

and :rolleyes: when I meet these kind of people again