why on Earth get a ACD?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by zoran, Oct 27, 2006.

1. zoran macrumors 68020

I dont know why one will consider to get a ACD? They seem to be way far behing competition. But anyway id like to get an opinion regarding ACDs vs EIZOs. Of course i know the pricing surelly is different but ACD is already expensive for the very few things that its offering. On the other hand the Eizo CE240W is way far ahead from ACDs by giving just so many great stuff but beeing unarguably expensive ... true true.
    Ending im must say im mixed up and dissapointed cause Apple pushes its displays for the creative market, but they seem to come up real short on features. Their display range is hiddiously outdted and overpriced (even after recent price reductions). Eizo displays like i said are unarguably expensive - but the difference in price buys a host of features that Apple should have at the price they are asking.
    Just so dissapoining! :mad:

2. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

Why? Because some people want the logo/design. Some people just don't know any better. Same reasoning behind the Airport Base Station.

3. zoran thread starter macrumors 68020

Ok i agree the logo/design issue is trully strong, no doubt, but somehow Apple must get the msg that it isnt enough, cause high specs and other gismos are so important. Perhaps we must begin an embargo on the ACDs until Apple launches all new ACDs.

Apple be fair with us, and we will support you, no doubt!

If not il lgo get a Dell or even better ... EIZO!

4. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

5. Sesshi macrumors G3

Sesshi

It's pretty in a way that others aren't. Nuff said.

6. Benjamindaines macrumors 68030

Benjamindaines

Well when I order my Mac Pro (eventually) I will get an Apple display with it. Why? Because I find it much easier to just get one shipment on my door step, I know that the screen will come the same time as the main unit. Also Dell is really the only other brand I would consider getting because it's easy to get, but I will not be getting a Dell because of the crap experience I've had with them.

--Cheers

7. shecky Guest

shecky

eizo's are the best monitors on the planet, period. ACD does not even come close.

8. suneohair macrumors 68020

suneohair

Wait wait. Let me get this straight.

You admit EIZO is expensive. You then go onto say that the ACD should have the same features as the more expensive Eizo at a lower price point?

Yeah, ok. I am sure there will be much arguing with this, but aside from the design/logo there is this little thing called color reproduction. Which for a professional is priceless.

Of course the EIZO may be better in that regard but it does cost more. Regardless the ACDs are fine displays. Besides who pays full price for anything these days. My brand new 23" ACD $850. Actually got some money back from Apple for a little backlight bleed, so it is actually $760 but I bought an iPod with that extra cash :)

9. ATD macrumors 6502a

Does any one here know the difference between the EIZO CE240 and CG210? Other than $1000 and a 24 vs 21 (the 21 is more $ than the 24), I can't find much difference between the 2 from the info on the website. I'm not in the market yet, I'll give my Barco another year before going to the EIZO.

10. SMM macrumors 65816

SMM

The reason for me is because the ACD is a great monitor. I have been using them for 3 years now without a single complaint. I do resent someone like you coming on here and shoving your personal agenda down my throat. Quite frankly, I think you are just here to bust on Apple and have never seen an Eizo monitor. There has been an obvious effort to attack all Apple products. Trolls attack comparing the cheaper Dell's, and now you attack from the higher end. You are so obvious. To suggest you might be a creative professional is hilarious. A professional would not waste time promoting such drivel.

11. shecky Guest

shecky

the CG210 has advanced color calibration + profiling built in (with an included hardware dongle) and are S-IPS screens.

lets not forget the possibility that someone else knows a lot more than you do.

12. jamesi macrumors 6502a

jamesi

so glad you brought this up, what is up with the airport base station? wow, apple you really like to pull this kinda wild card every once and a while. such a waste of money

13. zoran thread starter macrumors 68020

So u dont agree that ACDs offer mutch less than they should? Even compared to Dell you can see the lower specs and higher prices!
    About the obvious effort, i dont see it, neither do i see why its hilarious for me to be a creative professional lol.
    Plus that its not a waste of time to bring up sutch a subject. Face it, Apple is left behind in the specs/price race. The only thing i wish for right now is that Apple before Xmas announces the new 24" ACD that will have a whole new diff specs cast, at least. Not to say id wish for it to have the gismos that EISO offers [Direct Back Lighting, Dynamic Motion Picture Overdrive, the 8 ms Midtone Response Time To enhance moving image playback capabilities, the Contrast: 1000:1, Brightness: 450 cd/m2, 14-Bit-Processing, Brightness Stabilization Function which ensures stable brightness, the 2 DVI inputs, the 5 years warrantee]. Apple can make an ACD that should have a few (not all) of those specs, i believe the times order for a few of those specs. I dont want them all cause then sutch an monitor would be an EISO! And i dont have any EISO stocks incase someone thinks so.
    I wanted an Apple for its design but with their fall back latelly id prolly give the extra cashe and get a more dicent display either if thats an EISO or a cheeper bigger Dell!
    Wake up Apple and treat your customers right damn it! Most of us are creative professionals... well treat us right then!

14. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

I think Apple have it pitched absolutely right.

The monitor you claim to want or need is not a mass-market product nor is the ACD so ridiculously high-end that it can't or won't be sold in many retail outlets.

We'll be getting three in April for our studio because they're affordable; if there's a 24" version out by then, all the better. They'll be replacing 22" CRT Lacie monitors which were fairly decent mid-weight monitors for designers at the time... not all agencies can afford Barcos or Eizos anyway. If that's what you want, go out and get one.

15. zoran thread starter macrumors 68020

It just doenst cut it, that Apple has made affordable those ACD (which they are not, not compared to what they give u at that price) whats more important in my Humble Opinion is what u give for what u get, or the other way round what u get for what u give. Thats the whole point here and i dont need u to tell me what i want and when i should go get one. When i see an injustice i will say it, regardless to what i will get. U dont know who i am, maybe i can afford to get 10 EISOs and im only making this conversation cause i hate this Apple sales behaviour!
    Allways friendly,
    zoran

16. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

Actually, it does cut it. Show me a SWOP-certified flat panel for the same price and we'll get those instead. And I look forward to your continuing participation in the Design & Graphics forum so that we can learn more about what a creative professional is...

17. Maxiseller macrumors 6502a

Maxiseller

hear, hear!

If there's anything worse than a fanboi/girl it's a mindless basher.

18. Mord macrumors G4

Mord

the dell displays are not equal, nor are most other alternatives and if they are they cost a heck of allot more, it's not just brightness contrast and responce time that makes a monitor and even those are usually very inaccurate, never mind the looks of the thing, a 2405FPW does not look pretty on a white desk next to a G4 cube, a 23" ACD does and that's what makes the most difference for some people.

19. combatcolin macrumors 68020

combatcolin

Excellant colour.
    Sealed unit - no risk from Dust.
    Firewire/USB 2 Hub.
    Stunning looks.
    Tidy connections - hidden away.

And if they were a cheaper i would have bought one - happy with my big 1st gen Dell 24".

20. Maxiseller macrumors 6502a

Maxiseller

Indeed!

And lets face it, why shouldn't Apple put a small premium on great design?

Does anyone remember when Steve introduced the Mac Mini - he laughed when he said "You can use it with one of our cinema displays" - He KNOWS they're expensive - but he also knows that they represent a truly great display.

Why else would they not have inroduced a 17" display...they want to just push the limits of what is considered acceptable I believe.

21. decksnap macrumors 68040

decksnap

I can't afford the Eizos. I think the Dells are butt-ugly, and I need a SWOP-certified screen anyway. That leaves me with... the ACD.

Besides.. they're just really nice pieces of hardware. I am in love with mine. Is that not enough reasons?

22. DXoverDY macrumors 6502a

I just bought a 23" last week. I am quite happy after swapping the first one out to get one without a pink tint.

Thing is huge and for $900 .. it's a steal.

23. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

I can't imagine anyone at Apple really worrying about customer support for their ACDs. They certainly sell enough to warrant ignoring someone like you..or even me. However, to say you'll go Dell or EIZO, EIZO is in a class by itself, I cannot imagine someone saying that they went with Dell over EIZO because of any other reason than price.

24. T0mmyGunZ macrumors member

lol

dell 2007wfp:340$ > apple 20': 700$
    dell 2007fp 1600x1200:360$

dell 2407wfp:680$ > apple 23':1k$

dell 3007wfp:1280$ > apple 30': 2k$

the dells are all better in quality and price and i personally dont think the dells look bad at all.

25. dpaanlka macrumors 601

dpaanlka

Statements like this are really amusing. Nobody is forcing you to buy an Apple display. You have dozens of display manufacturers to choose from? Why are you SO angry that the Apple displays do not meet your requirements. GO BUY ANOTHER DISPLAY!!!! You're just wasting your own time and energy complaining about how Apple doesn't make the exact display for the exact price you want. Sheesh, get real... what do you complain to BMW that they do not make a cheaper model? Maybe I should complain to Sun that their SPARC stations are so expensive that I cannot even afford one! Who would imagine anybody would make anything I cannot afford!!!

Well, if 10" thick cheap black plastic that creaks and shakes when you try to adjust it is your opinion of nice... then go and buy one

I'll keep all my ACDs thank you.