why OS X 10.2 whips Windows XP

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by clubmedia, Sep 4, 2002.

1. clubmedia macrumors regular

whats your personal thoughts on why you think OS X is better than Windows XP ?

2. mac15 macrumors 68040

mac15

one word stability, it is near impossible to crash OSX

3. sphereboy macrumors 6502

sphereboy

it's so GOD DAMN much cooler..and faster...

and it's just cunning, stunning and always running....

OS X RULEZ! :cool:

4. SilvorX macrumors 68000

SilvorX

hmm wha mac15 said (he hasnt returned yet n hes supposed to go on aim on xp on vpc but i guess it crashed nonstop ;))

and open an app thats loading and press the x, it crashes :p

5. FattyMembrane macrumors 6502a

FattyMembrane

1. Stability
    2. Beauty
    3. Media incorporation (OpenGL, Quicktime)
    4. No cumbersome setup wizards
    5. Far more standars compliant
    6. The most advanced (and only hardware accelerated) graphics system of ANY os
    7. Better Application architecture
    8. More sophistocated disk burning built into the system
    9. More logical system layout
    10. FREE dev tools

if it gave it more than 30 seconds thought i could come up with 100 more reasons. you can even emulate xp within osx, try running stone studio, TIFFany, or FinalCutPro on xp...

6. dhdave macrumors regular

Aqua beats Luna any day.

And, dare I say it, as much as I loved windows task bar, the more I use the dock, the more I love it.

dh

7. idkew macrumors 68020

idkew

where the concrete to dirt ratio is better
    one word: style .

we have it, they don't.

Style

8. SilvorX macrumors 68000

SilvorX

9. mac15 macrumors 68040

mac15

and the tips in XP man you feel dumb, they are so straight forward you can't go wrong but it crashes so hard :D

10. mmmdreg macrumors 65816

mmmdreg

I agree completely..and with everyone else who posted in this thread..

11. G4scott macrumors 68020

G4scott

My favorite feature is the printing. I have an Epson C80 connected to my main desktop (G4 400), and an HP 1200 on the network, configured to work on the desktop. Well, to print, I just have to plug into the network, and with printer sharing, both printers are immediately available for my use. I don't even have to open print center to configure them, it just works! It was so cool when I found this out. It's amazing how well rendezvous works...

10.2 is also very stable, and responsive on a 600 mhz iBook...

I just love it!

I can't wait for more rendezvous integration. Does anybody know when the shared playlists in iTunes will become available?

12. peterjhill macrumors 65816

peterjhill

SIMPLICITY!

It is so damn easy to use. Not to mention the whole BSD kernel underneath all the aqua goodness.

13. peterjhill macrumors 65816

peterjhill

Oh... Another thing. Last week I was working on a packet shaping evaluation with two of my coworkers. We had our laptops connected to the same 100/mbps switch, and we were running download tests from the same server on our network.

The three computers running:
    Mac OS X 10.2
    RedHat Linux
    Windows 2000

In one of the baseline test, running the exact same script (using wget), my Mac laptop ruled! It clearly was able to transfer about 30% faster than the nearest competitor.

The BSD kernel is supposed to have a much better network stack than either Windows or Linux. So any network transfers on a mac will be superior to the same on another platform.

Go Mac!

14. clubmedia thread starter macrumors regular

to me it seems like the lexus, mecedes, or bmw of computing. i just wanted to play around a use windowns xp on my mac (which worked perfectly with virtual pc 5) and after seeing the interface of windows xp alone it turned me off, but i continued to tinker with it more and it still seems crappy... not anymore!

15. bbarnhart macrumors 6502a

bbarnhart

XP - It's not so bad

With a few exceptions, the wizards, cumbersome start menu, wierd placement of things, I find that Windows XP is very useable. I have two Macs at home (iBook 466, PM 8500) and if I bought another computer for home it would be a Mac. However, it seems that people are bashing XP without ever using it.

At work, the machine that I run XP is an IBM 300 PL with 256 Megs. It has a 350 Mhz Pentium II. It feels sooooo much faster that my 466 iBook running Jaguar. I do a lot of coding on that machine (My other work machine is a IBM M PRO dual 700 Pentium III with 1G ram, scsi HD. It flies)

Riddle me this. Why does my iBook with a faster cpu (466 vs 350) and more ram (384 vs 256) seem much, much slower than my IBM running XP? I get that new beach ball cursor on my iBook all the time (Help is notorious). THAT drive me crazy. Why can't the Address Book keep up with my typing? Could be the bus speed or HD speed.

So, unless you use XP all the time, I don't see how you can really say one is better than the other. BTW that machine has been up for 63 days. No crashes, no problems.

16. clubmedia thread starter macrumors regular

wow - running php/mysql/apache kicks serious ass on 10.2!!!!! nice, i love it. anyone else running and web serving with there mac??