Why Pages stinks

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by crazydreaming, Jul 13, 2005.

1. crazydreaming macrumors 6502a

crazydreaming

I made a nice brochure for the rental home company I work for. Looked pretty good, seemed to be great for creating that type of thing with pictures, columns, etc. Looked very professional like I wanted...

BUT.

Forgot about one thing. I live in a windows environment. Now, someone else needs the file so that they can add/make changes. :confused: opps. And no, you can't just copy and paste it all into Word.

Next time I'll use work from the start. In the meantime, I have a lot of work to do!

Why, tell me does Apple always push the fact that Mac's are so compatible with Windows. I'm not arguing that, but why would they make a word processing program not compatible? You have to by Microsoft Software in order to do that. I guess it's probably much more complicated than I think.

2. ham_man macrumors 68020

ham_man

Have you tried exporting to .doc? That may help to solve your problem...

3. crazydreaming thread starter macrumors 6502a

crazydreaming

HEY! Thanks a lot. That worked beautifully. There's a few formatting things I need to change, but... I should use that 'export' feature on Mac apps more often!

4. andiwm2003 macrumors 601

andiwm2003

is exporting it as a pdf file an option. they could use acrobat to edit it later on.

5. ham_man macrumors 68020

ham_man

If anyone was curious, I took a Grab of everything that you can use Pages to export as...

[​IMG]

6. dejo Moderator

dejo

Staff Member

Now aren't you glad that Apple tries to be somewhat compatible? So, next time, please don't be so quick to judge the software and/or the manufacturer ("stinks" is a tad harsh) and instead just pose your concern in a more curious manner ("I was wondering if...). I, for one, would be less offended.

7. mbdamdg macrumors member

PDF is probably your best bet - any computer with acrobat can open it, and all your formatting will be preserved.....

8. kgarner macrumors 68000

kgarner

Yeah, but he said that the other person needed to make changes. PDF won't allow others to make changes.

9. crazydreaming thread starter macrumors 6502a

crazydreaming

but can't edit it...

10. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

Yes, with Acrobat they can. Acrobat reader cannot edit.

11. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

Surely, if you know your document is going to have to be passed on for further editing to MS Office only users it would make sense to just have created the document is Word in the first place :rolleyes:

12. jayscheuerle macrumors 68020

jayscheuerle

Acrobat's $299 price tag is a little daunting...

13. Lacero macrumors 604

Lacero

For personal use, yeah, but in a graphic design department, where Acrobat is used to PDF print layouts for a commercial press, it's peanuts.

14. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

I believe the point was that the machines which already had Acrobat could work with it, formatting intact, not that people should run out to buy it.