Why purchase expensive smartphone when tablets are cheaper?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by MacMane, Jul 7, 2012.

1. macrumors regular

The reason I bring this up is because the newest iPhone retails for $499 without contract, but nexus 7 $199. And if the iPad mini or 7.85 inch iPad is real (which I hope not), im assuming it's going to be $199-$299, which is still cheaper than a new iPhone, or galaxy s III, or galaxy nexus. So why are smart phones more expensive than tablets? And why have a $499+ smartphone when tablets are same price or even cheaper, has same specs or higher specs.

I do own a new iPad and a smartphone that I bought on contract for $199, and the nexus 7 or kindle fire can do way more than my $199 Samsung galaxy smartphone.

2. macrumors 68040

The nexus is reportedly being sold at break-even rate, which explains which it seems so cheap, compared to an iphone with a 75% profit margin. This means the cost of making an iphone is ~$200, on par with the nexus. :)

3. macrumors 604

Jessica Lares

Because they both do things differently, and obviously you can't have both of them on hand at the same time. You could make the same argument with smartphones/feature phones and why have the smartphone when you have a laptop that does the same thing.

4. macrumors 68020

spillproof

I can't stick 7 to 9 inches in my pocket.

5. macrumors 604

But, but, but... then we'd have to combine it with a feature phone :eek:

6. macrumors 65816

SpyderBite

Actually, the iPhone 4s with 16gb is $649 unlocked. Perhaps you meant the 16gb iPad which retails for $499?

7. macrumors 68030

aziatiklover

Dont know if cereal!? It is like saying why ppl would buy a small luxury apartment instead of buying big house for cheaper.

8. macrumors 65816

This. Plus, eight inches is a bit much to stick to your ear while you're on the phone.

9. macrumors 604

um....some of us need a phone?

I can't stick a tablet in my shirt pocket either.

10. macrumors G3

You have a valid point and some people have gone iPad/dumb phone. But many others want both because having a smartphone is convenient.

11. macrumors 68000

having an iPad 3g and a dumb phone might work for some people, but if you're going for a dumb phone and a nexus 7 tablet which doesn't have cellular connection, then you're pretty dead outside. u can't use internet every time because u depend on a public WiFi access.

12. macrumors 6502a

Because people don't want to carry around a device that big. Most people don't follow tech news so the nexus 7 is something that the avg person has not even heard of. People that love tech will buy both

13. macrumors 6502a

My iPad + iPod Touch + dumb phone, costed me the same as an iPhone would have costed.

14. thread starter macrumors regular

I think I'm being misunderstood. I understand the need for having a smartphone and a tablet simultaneously. I am stating that tablets are more powerful than smartphone in some cases, while also being cheaper. 7-10 inch Tegra 3, 1gb ram, ips screen tablet $199-399, while 3.5-5 inch phone with same specs, sometimes less powerful specs $499+.

15. macrumors 6502

Because phone is something you need and you can take it everywhere. Tablet is good to have but not necessary.

16. edk
    macrumors regular

it's artificial pricing points, that's all.

If the tablet market would allow them to sell at 499 - 799, they would.

The phone market is supported by carriers that take part of the phone cost - its built into the pricing of the phone. Apple might be happy to sell the iphone for 399 new - but then it would screw up the contracts with the carriers ... just wouldn't work.

17. macrumors member

Small size high performance has always been more expensive.

18. macrumors 604

wordoflife

Well simply, most carriers subsidize the pricing of the phone so you don't pay _that_ much. Whether you get an 'expensive' iPhone or entry level Android, you still pay the same monthly tarrif.

19. macrumors 65816

There is no way in hell that I will carry around anything bigger than the SSGS3.

I require a phone and going out on a date or a nice evening out, I can't fathom having to carry a bigger purse just to stuff a tablet in it!

Also I would feel really stupid putting a tablet up to my head as a phone, which is why again that I will never go bigger than the SSGS3 for phone device.

20. macrumors demi-god

Who pays that much for a smartphone? I'd bet less than 1% of folks in the US buying a smartphone pay that price.

The Nexus 7 doesn't have cellular connectivity, does it? So if you're traveling about with a dumb phone and a Nexus 7, you wouldn't have any connectivity when you wander away from a WiFi hotspot, would you? That's a pointless setup for a lot of people.

21. macrumors 603

whooleytoo

Indeed. Plus any phone-specific circuitry/components. It wouldn't surprise me if making a phone requires additional patent licenses as well which a tablet wouldn't incur. All of which add to the cost.

22. macrumors regular

I have in a way done that. I have a dumb phone and an ipodtouch 4th gen. The main reason it is not an iPad is because the iPad isn't as easy to carry around. However, I could defiantly see why someone would go iPad and dumb phone. It is in a way cheaper along with a larger screen size bonus but convienence is sacrificed.

23. macrumors 68020

BFizzzle

because its a lot more expensive to make those parts smaller. Think about it. Youre cramming the same power as a tablet into a little space. Smaller CPU, Smaller GPU, smaller Motherboard, etc. While still maintaining the same speed as the larger one.... Plus on top of that im sure its a lot harder to assemble something so tiny.. thus taking longer to make, thus paying more money to have the same amount built... :)

24. macrumors member

You must be kidding lol, yeah only like 1% of folks pay that, cause the rest get raped on their service fees and pay as much as twice as that during their contract.

25. macrumors 601

A lot of comments above still apply. Apples and oranges.