why should i buy a macbook?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by ohmyjibbonjones, Oct 9, 2006.

1. ohmyjibbonjones macrumors newbie

ok so im new to this site and a complete newb to the world apple (the only apple gadget i have is an ipod) and i was thinking of buying a macbook,ive heard that mac's are a lot safer than conventional pc's/laptops and they offer great free programmes in theyre operating systems (garage band etc),but one thing that is really putting me off them is compatabilty,i currently have a desktop and basiclly all i want to know is:-
    1.will things like microsoft office,anti virus software,files and other programmes work on the macbook
    2.could i share my current broadband connection with a pc and a mac?
    3.all my music are in mp3 format,will these still work?

im sorry if im not making sense here but im completly new to this kind of thing.

thanks

2. The Shady macrumors member

1) office for mac will do ur office stuff. other software needs to be purchased specifically for the mac. or, u could install xp on the macbook and run all ur usual software that way
    2) yes, macs and pcs can share broadband

3. Scarlet Fever macrumors 68040

Scarlet Fever

M$ make a version of Office for Mac. It's not native yet, so it doesn't run as fast as you might have expected. The universal version is due out sometime next year.

You dont really need AntiVirus stuff, because there are no viruses for Mac.

And yes, Macs can share broadband.

4. xJulianx macrumors 6502a

xJulianx

Mac's don't get viruses. You won't need to install any virus protection, nor will you have to worry about spyware and adware:)

5. pianodude123 macrumors 6502a

pianodude123

6. Butters macrumors 6502

MP3's and any other music format will work too

infact I'll just mention that practically any file you can open on windows will open in mac os x too except for .exe's

7. Donz0r macrumors 6502a

Yes you can run Microsoft Office for Mac on your mac. yes theres plenty of software for Macs just like there is for PCs like Antivirus, etc. Although the software that you already own that you use on your PC won't work on the mac operating system, There's pleanty of software that's made for the mac which is either just as good or even better. Or you can install XP if you have that one piece of software that you NEED to use for work or something.

You can share the broadband, and Yes your MP3s will work still.

Macs are very compatable and becoming more and more popular, I haven't encountered ONE SINGLE incompatability issue. i.e. soemthing i can't do on my mac, that I could on a pc. And that's without using XP.

8. FFTT macrumors 68030

FFTT

These new Intel based MacBooks give you the option to run Mac OSX versions
    of your primary software or allow you to install a native Windows partition for any special custom application.
    In order to install Windows, you will need a full retail XPSP2 CD and the free download of Apple Boot Camp. Or you can purchase Parallels Desktop to run both Operating Systems side by side.

If you do plan to dual boot, you would also want to upgrade the stock HD to provide enough
    space for both Operating Systems and normal storage.

You do not need A/V for Mac OSX, but you would need to install your A/V suite
    on your Windows partition, if you plan to run Windows on line.

Generally, most people are perfectly content leaving Windows behind or
    they keep their P/C just for those specific Windows applications if needed.

If you are eligable for Apple's education discounts, by all means take advantage of the savings or your hardware and software.

9. ohmyjibbonjones thread starter macrumors newbie

thanks for all your help,but i still have one other question,how could i share my mac wirelessly with my pc?would a standerd wireless router work and would it b difficult to configure?

10. Shadow macrumors 68000

Shadow

Yes, but make sure you get the right kind (like an ADSL line will need an ADSL router. PC World will be able to help with this-but don't belive their "It wont work with a Mac" rubbish).

11. CaptainCaveMann macrumors 68000

CaptainCaveMann

12. ohmyjibbonjones thread starter macrumors newbie

sorry 1 more question!should i go out and buy one now or wait a bit,ive heard apple might be updating the macbooks before christmas see

13. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

It's possibe they will update the Macbooks before Christmas, but that's 2 months away! I wouldn't have any second thoughts about buying a Macbook now.

14. floatingspirit macrumors 6502

1.will things like microsoft office,anti virus software,files and other programmes work on the macbook
    [/QUOTE]

OpenOffice is MS Office compatible and FREE, although donations are welcomed. Just pop in your OSX install cd and click the box for "install x tools". Then you'll be good to go.
    FYI, from viewing this forum, it sounds possible that a newer Macbook model may come out in Nov.-early Dec. although I had to have mine now! Oh well, I will love it.;)

15. CrackedButter macrumors 68040

CrackedButter

16. ohmyjibbonjones thread starter macrumors newbie

no 1 has told me to buy a mac,ive just been hearing good things about them and i wanted to know what all the fuss was about..:)

17. Me1000 macrumors 68000

Me1000

go buy a mac!

Ok there now someone told you to buy one lol :p

The simple fact is there is no reason why you should NOT buy a mac! they all run windows and OS X.

OS X will not get viruses, and most major programs are mac compatible!
    plus there are tons of freeware apps out there for macs!

18. macaddicted macrumors regular

macaddicted

I have found one app so far that I can't seem to get to work right with my MBP, and I think it's because it requires a usb dongle. Everything else I have tried, Office, OpenOffice, Intuit apps, have worked just fine in both BootCamp (free from Apple, but you need to supply the Windows XP SP2 installer. Makes your computer think it's a, eewww, PC) and Parallels (about $75-80, needs Windows installer, but you don't have to reboot to use it).

IIRC I use a D-Link wireless router under WSP-PSK at work and a Belkin router at home. The work router is hooked to a DSL line along with my point of sale PC.

Your mp3's will work fine, just like iTunes on Windows (you are using iTunes for Windows right?).

If you are looking for a laptop that will let you do both OS X and Windows then a MacBook is a good choice. I think that you will migrate more to the Mac side as you use the system, but you have the security of not leaving your preferred PC apps behind.

As to when to buy: if you need it now buy it now. If you can wait then wait. No one knows when the new systems will be coming out. But no matter when you buy it it will be superceded by the next latest and greatest in a matter of several months. It's simply the way the PC world works now.