Why should I care more about US citizens...

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by miloblithe, Aug 30, 2006.

1. miloblithe macrumors 68020

miloblithe

...than I do about people from other countries?

2. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

what are you, some kind of unpatriotic gay commie islamo-fascist terrorist from france?

3. miloblithe thread starter macrumors 68020

miloblithe

I'm going to go with: no, no, no, no, no, no, and no.

Although on one and three I'd have some reservations. We'd have to define terms.

I'm serious though. Why is it more important to me that, for example, some guy in Utah that I don't know has a job vrs. some guy in Zimbabwe that I don't know having that job?

4. thedude110 macrumors 68020

thedude110

I noticed a real shift in the way people were spoken of in the audio-visual media after September 11th. Before then (or at least during the halycon days of the Clinton years -- yes, that's half sarcasm), I seem to remember "people" dying. Now I only hear about "Americans dying."

Maybe that's 'cause we're at war with abstraction. But I'm more likely to attribute it to a sudden outburst of xenophobia and exceptionalism ...

5. KingYaba macrumors 68040

KingYaba

What are you trying to communicate?

So what are we trying to accomplish here? State facts that we should all be viewed equally? Job priority should be available to everyone, regardless of cost? I don't follow. :confused:

6. EricNau Moderator emeritus

EricNau

You shouldn't care more about an American than any other person from any other country.

7. poppe macrumors 68020

poppe

Just curious. What brought this on? Were you just thinking why should you care about us citizens more than people arund the world or what?

And I used to ask, around the 9/11 time, why people don't say god bless the world or god bless everyone. All I ever heard was god bless America. And I thought... Why should America be blessed and not australians, or Europeans? Because we are going through a crisis and they are not?

8. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

This is the same reason why pre- 9/11 it was rare to see the American flag flown on cars, houses, etc.The day after 9/11 there was never a place you could turn and NOT see the flag. As the days went on you saw less and less flags. I call it social patriotism at its best.

Why should you care more about Americans than anyone else? You shouldn't and anyone who says you should is close-minded in my narrow minded opinion.

9. srf4real macrumors 68030

srf4real

i think I'm the only person I know who says "God bless Bin Laden."
    and no, I am not pro-extremist muslim. If Osama were to be blessed by God, he would stop messing with us and get a life.

10. zap2 macrumors 604

zap2

:rolleyes:

But honestly i have thought about this awell..and i can't think of a reason. However i can care more about a certian person based on what they do, example i'd care more about someone for saves baby kittens vs someone who kills them

11. KingYaba macrumors 68040

KingYaba

12. zap2 macrumors 604

zap2

Is that being pro-love everyone, or pro-love people in your country?..because i can see that go either way honestly.

13. xsedrinam macrumors 601

xsedrinam

I would think that kind of faith in redemptive lift lacks a certain gravity.

14. KingYaba macrumors 68040

KingYaba

Yeah I know, it would be more helpful if the bible was more specific sometimes. I'd take a guess and say it applies to everything, and everyone. Including animals, rocks, humans, trees, water, aliens, the planet Pluto, computers (yes PCs too) grass, beer, chicks, more beer, chicks, ladies, women, cigars, foxxy ladies, homosexuals, polygamists, and everything else I missed. :p

15. zap2 macrumors 604

zap2

So do that mean we should love people based on how close they live to oneself..so you must love mexicans(who live near the border) more then you love the president!:D

16. KingYaba macrumors 68040

KingYaba

¡Amo a mis amigos Mexicanos! I'll say it, I love Bush :cool: I love him so much that I'm willing to criticize him where I believe he has gone astray.

17. Hoef macrumors 6502a

Hoef

because they are willing to buy anything :D

18. Ugg macrumors 68000

Ugg

You live in DC and assumedly read the DC papers as opposed to the Dallas papers. Does that mean you're more concerned with the people in DC than the ones in Dallas? No, probably not. But, proximity and community is why we tend to involve ourselves more in our localities, regions, nations, those who share the same language and the same cultural background.

Let's face it, an unemployed person in DC is much more likely to have an impact on your life than one in Zimbabwe.

19. miloblithe thread starter macrumors 68020

miloblithe

So one reason is self interest. It's not really about concern for people but rather more of a calculation of one's own personal advantage.

20. Queso macrumors G4

As Americans it's only natural that you should care more about your own above other nationalities. What I resent about the last five years is the implication that people of other nationalities should care more about Americans than about themselves. I don't see why I as an Englishman should bend over backwards to allow your country's agenda to be pushed forward, yet if I don't a rather vocal percentage of the American population feel I am somehow behaving as a traitor :confused:

21. Glen Quagmire macrumors 6502a

So you criticize him pretty much constantly, then? There's plenty of things he's fessed up (Iraq, bin Laden, federal deficit, the environment, Israel, oil prices, relations with the rest of the world, etc, etc, etc).

What type of "love" is this that you feel? Ol' George W., he has a narrow concept of this thing called love, as evidenced by this proposed federal marriage amendment that he likes so much.

Seriously, George W. Bush has been a disaster for your country. Remember the headlines in the French (!) newspapers after 9/11: "We are all Americans now". All that has been squandered, and for what?

What is there to "love" about George W. Bush? I can't think of much.

22. Chundles macrumors G4

Chundles

What about the cheesemakers? Or does it apply to all those employed in the dairy industry?

23. Dont Hurt Me macrumors 603

Dont Hurt Me

There isnt and his performance has to be rated Piss Poor, Iam still pretty ashamed as how we were force fed this war that clearly wasnt needed and to now here the administrations turned off the Bin Laden Unit and says he isnt important:confused: .I guess after George's Iraq he isnt. Beam me up please.

24. CorvusCamenarum macrumors 65816

CorvusCamenarum

Only if you don't mix it with meat.

25. Ugg macrumors 68000

Ugg

Absolutely and it's our humanity that makes us thinki about the unemployed guy in Zimbabwe. Self-interest and humanity are two different things. Many would say Americans, specfically, have accentuated the first and lost the second.