Why should I switch to a Mac?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by ozimax, Mar 21, 2004.

1. ozimax macrumors member

ozimax

PC user for last 15 years, started with XT around 1989, have always had pc's, presently running a Sony Vaio, but am seriously considering switching to a G4 iBook. I use mainly pagemaker 6.5, photoshop elements, Finale (music software) and web browsing.

Considering the cost of changing software to Max OS, why should I make the switch?

Max
    Brisbane, Australia

2. jigglyjon macrumors member

1. everything moves quicker and there are hardly any wierd tweak outs or crashes.
    2. style is everything these days and the macs are where its at... i mean nothing on the pc side even comes close
    3. very user friendly and they are easly customizable to fit anyone's needs.

Questions for you:
    1. 12 or 14?
    2. intesive computer work or casual hobby work?
    3. are you willing to learn?
    i think that anything can be done reasonably well on the ibooks, however if you want serious performance, i would suggest a powerbook, or if portability is not a reason just get a dual g4 for about the same price as a powerbook and it would run smooth as butter! write back for any more q's

3. ozimax thread starter macrumors member

ozimax

Questions answered

Answers:

1. 12inch
    2. Bit of both but I do not need huge number crunching capability. Price is #1 constraint at present, these things are expensive in Australia. Plus, I'm always travelling, in Australia and overseas.
    3. Always. I can only assume that pagemaker and photoshop which I use constantly is pretty similar to PC platform.

Questions for you:
    1. 12 or 14?
    2. intesive computer work or casual hobby work?
    3. are you willing to learn?
    i think that anything can be done reasonably well on the ibooks, however if you want serious performance, i would suggest a powerbook, or if portability is not a reason just get a dual g4 for about the same price as a powerbook and it would run smooth as butter! write back for any more q's[/QUOTE]

4. oingoboingo macrumors 6502a

oingoboingo

Max, if it is at all possible, the best thing you could do if you are considering switching is to get yourself to an Apple dealer, and set aside an hour or so to play around with an iBook in the flesh. You can ask questions on forums until the cows come home, but nothing will beat actual hands-on usage of the hardware you are thinking of buying. Many systems in Apple dealers also have a lot of other software installed apart from OS X and iLife (such as Microsoft Office, Adobe Photoshop, and often a game or two) that they use for demo purposes. Write down a list of the programs you think you will use most often, and ask the dealer if they can let you use those pieces of software on the machine you are thinking of buying. Again...nothing can beat actually using PageMaker, Photoshop Elements or GarageBand on the actual hardware you are thinking of purchasing and seeing how they perform, versus reading benchmarks and opinions on forums.

The reason I am harping on this is that as a long-time PC user, you may have some different performance expectations of what a new Apple notebook should be like, based on what you've probably seen in the PC world. Others can argue all they like with me on this point, but the 800MHz Motorola G4 CPU in the 12" iBook is not a lightning fast chip...in fact, for a CPU in 2004, it's downright slow. The smallish standard 30GB hard drive, maximum RAM ceiling of 640MB, and the fact that you have to pay extra for 802.11g and Bluetooth also take away from the gloss of the iBook a little. But, as I'm sure others here will be quick to point out, if these things don't bother you and you can get your work done efficiently, they aren't important. And they're right. Check out the machine in the flesh. See if it can perform the tasks you need it to, and can do it at an acceptable speed. But bear in mind that the iBook lineup (and for that matter, the eMac, iMac and decent size chunks of the PowerBook lineups too) are based on old technology, which continues to survive in the Apple family more for reasons of politics and continual let-downs from Motorola, than for any specifically chosen technical reason.

5. ozimax thread starter macrumors member

ozimax

Thanks for the advice, as early as I can this week I shall indeed pop into downtown Brisbane Apple store and have a muck around with a few machines.

I suppose it all boils down to the fact of my frustration with XP. Being based on Win 2000 prof it certainly beats win98 rubbish, but for multi tasking it regularly crashes or least has temporary lockups. Most of these fix themelves after about 5 minutes but it is very counter productive. And all these on new and almost new Sony machines. (That's another topic altogether - USA made Sony products are very disappointing IMHO, I'm onto my third power supply in 18 months for my Sony Vaio desktop, and as for the Vaio laptop, it just doesn't work. DVD has stopped working after 2 months, trackpad never has worked, overheats, I just thought that buying "quality" instaed of Dell / HP etc was the way to go but I am seriously disillusioned with Wintel products...)

Many thanks,

Max

6. blackfox macrumors 65816

blackfox

I agree with oingoboingo in that you should really check out the machines you might buy and play with them for a while, although online resources (like this forum) can help, you need to experience for yourself....
    I also agree w/ oingoboingo that the mac portable line is not really "fast" by 2004 standards...but unless you are doing intensive tasks, you will probably not notice...also the GUI will seem a little slower than you are used to also, but that is a matter of opinion...in both cases as much RAM as you can will help considerably w/ these issues.
    As for programs, I do not think Pagemaker is made for the Mac (I don't really like it anyway), in fact I thought it wasn't made anymore period. Adobe InDesign (which is what pagemaker evolved into) newest version, CS, has a set of plug-ins for die-hard Pagemaker fans...there is also Quark. Both InDesign and QuarkXpress are great programs...Photoshop elements you will have to get a mac version...as far as music software, I do not know of Finale, but you will receive Garageband for free w/ your mac, and it is decent (I have heard).
    Web-browsing will be alot better (as in no pop-ups for example) and worse (as in sites that need IE and streaming media in windows formats) but there are work-arounds...
    Good Luck, I love using Macs, and hopefully you will too...it is a shame about the expense outside the US though...

7. blue&whiteman macrumors 65816

blue&whiteman

based on what you do I would say use a mac for sure. they just seem to render graphics better and faster. when it comes to color matching the mac wins 10000 times over and then some.

8. iJed macrumors 6502

There is simply only one reason to buy a Mac. People here may tell you the hardware is much better or much faster but this is really not why Macs are better. In fact your average Mac is generally slower than than your average PC. The iBook is a lot slower than most cheep PC notebooks and a Centrino (Pentium-M) will kick the **** out of its lowly 800-1000MHz G4.

The reason Macs are better is simply this: the OS! Mac OS X is just so much nicer, more consistent, better designed, more stable and more capable than Windows XP. What you can do with a Mac out of the box will simply astound most Windows users.

By all means go for that iBook. Believe me you won't regret it.

9. absolut_mac macrumors 6502a

absolut_mac

A few thoughts....

My daughter has had her G4 12" iBook three months now. While it's no speed demon, it certainly is fast enough for your requirements. Keeping in mind that ALL laptops take a hit in the speed department compared to their desk top cousins.

While the iBook might be a little slower than your current Sony, it will certainly be considerably more competent and stable if you do a lot of multi-tasking. The iBook also has to be a champ in both battery life and efficient cooling. The bottom of her laptop barely even feels warm to the touch after hours of continuous use.

Check it out in the Apple store, it really shouldn't take you too long to see if the iBook is right for you :)

10. Squire macrumors 68000

Squire

I couldn't agree more. I switched (or, I guess, added) about a year and a half ago. I like to sum it up this way: My Mac never does things that I don't want it to do. Using the machine is not only stress-free but a pleasure. Unfortunately, I can't say the same about the computer on the other side of my desk.

Squire

11. Danrose1977 macrumors regular

Danrose1977

Because like Pepsi, its the choice of a new generation

...sorry too much Waynes World

Seriously though, I swithed recently and have slipped into the "mac" way of doing things real quickly. There is some intangible pleasure that I get from using my iBook that I just don't get with my Windows machine.

The ease of use is great, everything I have plugged into my mac sofar has just worked (Camera, creative mp3 player and printer), and I havent even had to plug in my bluetooth devices and they just work!!! Lol :->

12. ozimax thread starter macrumors member

ozimax

Thanks for the comments, I will nip into the city store this week and try one (or three) out and see how she goes....

Is the Powerbook range worth the (considerable) extra cost?

Max

13. Savage Henry macrumors 65816

Savage Henry

in a one horse, two house, three pub town.
    Give the Powerbook the consideration when it hits G5 status (in 6-9 months). Then I am sure it will be one of the finest pieces of machine to ever be graced by your fingertips.

And in general to the overall question: I have never known anybody who 'switched' to have regretted it.

Never.

14. Steven1621 macrumors 6502a

Steven1621

he got it exactly right. enough said.

15. masterjedi73 macrumors 6502

masterjedi73

If you make the switch, switch from Finale to Sibelius, too....It's so much better than Finale. It's simpler to use, more powerful, and has an easier interface. At least check it out and download the demo version.

16. kaylee macrumors regular

kaylee

hi ozimax,

i also live in brisbane. which apple store are you going to? i recommendNext Byte (260 Adelaide St), as in my experience i have found their staff to be really helpful and polite. i cant say the same for all of the staff at infinite systems (Charlotte St).
    also, do you qualify for education discount, or do you know someone who does that you can get to purchase for you? cos it will save you at between $100 and $300 depending on what laptop you decide on. apple does have a deal currently until the end of march for education only, where you can get some extra ram, and ipod (20 gb) and AE card, and get a couple of hundred off the normal edu cost. alternatively, there is a buy a powerbook, get an ipod (20gb) for $99, which is available through next byte, but you cant use edu discount with that deal. hope this helps you a little.

17. ozimax thread starter macrumors member

ozimax

Thanks Kaylee, I will drop into NextByte this arvo or tomorrow and check it out.

As for FInale vs Sibelius, I havn't tried Sibelius but Finale has a great education special in Oz at present ($230 US or $300 AUS) for FInale 2004, which is normally $1300. I don't know if Sibelius can come close to that pricing. If so, it may be worth a look, thanks, Max

18. masterjedi73 macrumors 6502

masterjedi73

Sibelius does have educational pricing...very close to Finale's here in the states.

19. kaylee macrumors regular

kaylee

I have used both Finale (2001), and Sibelius through music at school, and I found Sibelius to be better - though i did use both of these on windows computers, and not sure if mac versions are the same. http://www.sibelius.com/education/ has information regarding education packages/pricing and you can get a demo from http://www.sibelius.com/cgi-bin/download/get.pl?prod=sibdemo&com=sh.

20. tekno_geek911 macrumors 6502

I think the iBook will be fine for your use...But you might also want to pick up a refurbished 12" PowerBook on Apple.com for around the same price.

21. live4ever macrumors 6502a

The thing that has most impressed me with Macs is OS X. The multi-tasking is absolutely superb!

Just last night I was burning a DVD - while encoding other video files - while encoding audio files (with another program) - while listening to iTunes while working on some photos in Photoshop- while checking email and browsing the web.

22. Applexilef macrumors regular

the question you should ask yourself is: "Why shouldn't I switch to a mac?"

that's the question I asked myself two months ago when I bought my first apple computer (A G4 ibook).

23. ozimax thread starter macrumors member

ozimax

For all the nice people who have replied to my original question, here is an update (can't say anything on Finale vs Sibelius yet)

I called in mucked around with a few (less expensive desktop models) Macs in Brisbane, no iBooks in stock (11 on backorder). They managed to find me a 12" Powerbook nearby for $3000 (with a 20GB iPod for $99 special deal). I was planning on buying this package, selling the new shrinkwrapped iPod on ebay etc to help defray the costs on myblown out budget. I ordered the thing.

Driving home I noticed another Mac/PC store. Stopping in and enquiring, I was told that they had 1 iBook they could source for me, cost being $2100 including an extra 512MB of ram. I cancelled the first order and scheduled to pick this one up tomorrow morning.

So there you have it. I need a few extra pieces of software and I'll be up and running. BTW, Powerbooks don't ship with Appleworks. You have to buy that separately. iBooks come with Appleworks preloaded and will suit me fine.

Max

24. tekno_geek911 macrumors 6502

Congrats on your purchase,you wont be dissapointed!

25. oingoboingo macrumors 6502a

oingoboingo

So did you actually get to use either an iBook or PowerBook in your travels?