Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

BarracksSi

Suspended
Jul 14, 2015
Really nice vintage collection you have, have you considered fixing them or just holding on for sentimental value?

The oldest watches are all from family (the quartz Seiko and the hand-wound Bulova are my granddads'), so I'm definitely holding onto them. I had the Rolex and Omega serviced so they can run safely. The Seiko needs a lot more help, and I'm hesitant to have the Bulova opened -- it's over 75 years old and, although it runs fine, I want to find a good watchmaker whom I can trust.

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
I don't make a big deal out of my AW. It's just a watch and there nothing noticeably 'smart' about it. I mean it tells you the weather and all that but I can still see them on my phone anyways. That said, I wear my AW because having notifications on my wrist is very convenient. I don't have to pull out my giant 7 plus out of my pocket every time. Also, it's convenient to control the music player on my wrist. Other than that, I don't think it does anything more than my traditional watch. I am a student so I own both. I wear AW every day and wear traditional watch whenever I have exams.

I'm sure schools have restrictions with smart watches in place. Makes sense why you would opt for a regular Watch.

OriginalAppleGuy

Suspended
Sep 25, 2016
Virginia
Great thread, @BeefCake 15 !! I've been struggling with the do I buy an AW or keep my traditionals. I've lived as though watches were the only jewelry I'd wear (except, ahem, my wedding ring). I lost a never seen in the USA a really nice Gold and Black Pulsar my Dad brought back from S. Africa in the ocean while surfing. Since then, I've been really partial to what I have and extra careful not to lose them. At this point, I have a G-Shock (yard work & possible lose it situations), Citizen (dressy), Tag Heuer (casual/dressy), and Seiko (casual). The Tag needs repair and the Seiko was a gift from my wife for our Anniversary a year and a half ago.

I'm a big time gadget guy. When I was in my pre-teens, I had one of the Casio Databank watches as well. Thought it was super cool and teachers were non the wiser until they became more popular. Then I had programmable calculators before teachers knew about them too hehehe - though I do have to say if I spent the time learning how to do Calculus instead of learning how to use my HP-28S my grade would have been better). I've had PDAs since the Sharp Wizard. I think the technology of the AW is really neat. But spending $600 (which is what I'm looking at if I get one) for something that will be obsolete in a couple years is troublesome to me. I'll spend more than that for a regular watch because it won't go out of style in time and as I said before, is jewelry to me.

The AW 2, though, is really trying to draw me in. I don't understand why they "paint" stainless steel though. Seems counter intuitive to me.

I really liked the reply by @DougFNJ. The reasons he stated his AW is worn more often than not are the same ones I keep asking myself if I should spend the money. The possible utility of the AW is pulling me in. But - the thought that in two years I'd "have" to buy the upgrade to have it's features and trying to be more frugal with my funds is pushing me away.

satchmo

macrumors 601
Aug 6, 2008
Canada
I'm seeing 3 categories of AW fans in this regard:
  1. People who always loved the gadget watches and continue with the AW but they also have regular watches too.
  2. People who got tired of traditional watches but may wear them on occasions but definitely prefer the AW
  3. People who had no interest in traditional watches almost at all but are liking the AW for the wearable gadget aspect.
Missing any category?

I'm not sure how you define 'gadget aspect'.

But I would say there's another category: utility

I'm not a huge watch guy, but prefer traditional watches. But they're not much for gathering information for later analysis. Even digital watches like those from Timex and Casio were essentially stopwatches. The power of AW2 and other GPS enabled smartwatches is that they capture data like never before. I've said before, the AW was a solution looking for a problem. IMO, with GPS and fitness metrics capabilities, it's found it's calling.

Last edited:

BeefCake 15

macrumors 68020
Original poster
May 15, 2015
I'm not sure how you define 'gadget aspect'.

But I would say there's another category: utility

Yeah that's what I meant, basically a useful tool that just happens to be worn like a watch NOT because it's a watch.

The-Real-Deal82

macrumors P6
Jan 17, 2013
Wales, United Kingdom
I get the impression a large proportion of the Apple Watch market appeals to people who may not have been into watches prior to its release. I do know a few people who own it and those who are into watches tend to have just added it to their rotation. One guy I know at work had never worn a watch until he bought an Apple Watch and this has spiked his interest in watches. He's just bought his first mechanical Watch.

If you are into watches I don't think one watch will ever replace an entire collection. No smart watch exists yet that competes on looks with a classic mechanical watch. They are a remote control for your smartphone in all reality. They save you having to use your smartphone as much as you used to with the added convenience of dealing with certain tasks from your wrist. Not my bag at all.

The one positive of smart watches is that they've brought attention back to the wrist. I get far more compliments and interest in my watches of late because it's made people curious.

macdragonfl

macrumors 6502a
Jan 11, 2006
Ft. Lauderdale,Fl
I have four mechanicals including a vintage 18K Rose Gold Movado, I seldom wear them now. I like them but my AW cost less then all of them and does more. I did wear the vintage one to a event over the holidays, I always get compliments on that watch. All I kept thinking is that I miss the AW. I don't think I will ever buy a luxury mechanical watch again, but most likely buy a higher end AW next time. I went with a first gen sport to see how I like it last March. Did not see any reason to upgrade this year maybe next and will definitely go SS, Hermes or Edition next time. All but one of my mechanicals are more expensive than even the high end AW. So i will keep the mechanicals just because i already have them. But do not plan to ever get another.

BeefCake 15

macrumors 68020
Original poster
May 15, 2015
I have four mechanicals including a vintage 18K Rose Gold Movado, I seldom wear them now. I like them but my AW cost less then all of them and does more. I did wear the vintage one to a event over the holidays, I always get compliments on that watch. All I kept thinking is that I miss the AW. I don't think I will ever buy a luxury mechanical watch again, but most likely buy a higher end AW next time. I went with a first gen sport to see how I like it last March. Did not see any reason to upgrade this year maybe next and will definitely go SS, Hermes or Edition next time. All but one of my mechanicals are more expensive than even the high end AW. So i will keep the mechanicals just because i already have them. But do not plan to ever get another.

It seems you lost the appreciation of the jewelry aspect of a traditional watch for functionality of the AW.

nburwell

macrumors 603
May 6, 2008
DE
  1. People who always loved the gadget watches and continue with the AW but they also have regular watches too.
  2. People who got tired of traditional watches but may wear them on occasions but definitely prefer the AW
  3. People who had no interest in traditional watches almost at all but are liking the AW for the wearable gadget aspect.
I definitely fall into category 3. I rarely wore traditional watches. Initially when the AW was announced, I kind of laughed it off. Then checking it out at my local Apple Store, I gained new appreciation for the device. I ultimately bought the AW and practically wear it every single day for the past year and half.

Reactions: BeefCake 15

democracyrules

Suspended
Nov 18, 2016
Prior to acquiring an Apple Watch I had pretty much stopped wearing a watch and figured I could just check the time on my iPhone when out. I got the Apple Watch on a whim, found that I loved it and it is the only watch I wear now (all day, everyday). I like the fitness tracking, notifications and availability of not only time, but date and temperature on the face.

It's not pretty like an expensive mechanical watch, but it has a certain style in it's simplicity that I find it pleasing to look at. At this point in my life I don't have any use for a watch that just gives the time and date, no matter how attractive and expensive it may be.
Agree with the above comments. I am on the same boat as the above poster.

Kjung7

macrumors 6502
Jan 18, 2013
I currently have a Tag Carrera and Rolex Sub, but the Apple watch series 2 has become my daily wear. I initially tried the series 0 when it first came out, but ended up returning it after a day or two. The series 2 was a gift so I decided to give it a shot, and now I love it. It's really useful for me at work, since I can't carry around my phone when seeing patients. Just today, I had mistakenly taken the keys to my wife's car and I was able to see her urgent text while treating a patient. I stepped out of the room real quick and took care of the issue. Now I definitely prefer the looks of my Tag and Rolex, but functionality wise the Apple Watch has them beat. I now reserve the traditional watches when I'm going out and about.

democracyrules

Suspended
Nov 18, 2016
Missing any category?
I am on the no.3 category :)

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
Great thread, @BeefCake 15 !! I've been struggling with the do I buy an AW or keep my traditionals. I've lived as though watches were the only jewelry I'd wear (except, ahem, my wedding ring). I lost a never seen in the USA a really nice Gold and Black Pulsar my Dad brought back from S. Africa in the ocean while surfing. Since then, I've been really partial to what I have and extra careful not to lose them. At this point, I have a G-Shock (yard work & possible lose it situations), Citizen (dressy), Tag Heuer (casual/dressy), and Seiko (casual). The Tag needs repair and the Seiko was a gift from my wife for our Anniversary a year and a half ago.

I'm a big time gadget guy. When I was in my pre-teens, I had one of the Casio Databank watches as well. Thought it was super cool and teachers were non the wiser until they became more popular. Then I had programmable calculators before teachers knew about them too hehehe - though I do have to say if I spent the time learning how to do Calculus instead of learning how to use my HP-28S my grade would have been better). I've had PDAs since the Sharp Wizard. I think the technology of the AW is really neat. But spending $600 (which is what I'm looking at if I get one) for something that will be obsolete in a couple years is troublesome to me. I'll spend more than that for a regular watch because it won't go out of style in time and as I said before, is jewelry to me.

The AW 2, though, is really trying to draw me in. I don't understand why they "paint" stainless steel though. Seems counter intuitive to me.

I really liked the reply by @DougFNJ. The reasons he stated his AW is worn more often than not are the same ones I keep asking myself if I should spend the money. The possible utility of the AW is pulling me in. But - the thought that in two years I'd "have" to buy the upgrade to have it's features and trying to be more frugal with my funds is pushing me away.

See boldeld above in your post. Where did you come up with the idea that the stainless steel is painted on the Apple Watch? Are you referring to the Apple Watch being painted? Because if you are, it's not. It's actually machined to a high polish with 316 L. See video highlighting my post below.

OriginalAppleGuy

Suspended
Sep 25, 2016
Virginia
See boldeld above in your post. Where did you come up with the idea that the stainless steel is painted on the Apple Watch? Are you referring to the Apple Watch being painted? Because if you are, it's not. It's actually machined to a high polish with 316 L. See video highlighting my post below.

Note I put paint in quotes as at the time I wasn't sure what Apple called it. Space Black is the "paint" I was referring to. At around 1:31 or so in the Apple video, they state they put a "diamond like" carbon layer over the stainless steel. I love how they called it "diamond like" as though they were painting the already refined stainless steel with diamonds. Sorry, just don't think that's a great idea. If I'm paying for stainless steel, I want to see it in its shiny glory. Especially if it's supposedly refined already. SO, in layman's terms, they painted stainless steel. Thanks for posting the video to prove my point!

Reactions: Sunny1990

Ffosse

macrumors 68000
Nov 5, 2012
I also own both. But my Apple Watche(s) I own have really been my go to. I love the customization and overall design suits my preference. The best and highly underrated feature with the Apple Watch is how seamless it communicates with the iPhone. Every notification and glimpse of what you want is reflected without having to use your iPhone or leaving it stationed elsewhere. It's merely a convenience factor and a great one at that.
I like how my outdoor walks are seamlessly integrated into the activity app on the iPhone, it even tells me what the weather and humidity were - everything indeed just works.

ibookg409

Suspended
Apr 20, 2016
Portsmouth, NH
I want to know why people made the choice of getting a smart watch IF they chose it over getting a traditional watch (Quartz, Automatic etc..). What motivated your decision and thought process?

just collecting some feedback for a topic I'm working on with other watch enthusiasts and not trying to insult your decision.

Thanks in advance!
I have a very nice Swiss watch. It tells the time and has a stop watch. My Apple Watch does that plusn100 other things. Why not switch?

Reactions: bevsb2

macdragonfl

macrumors 6502a
Jan 11, 2006
Ft. Lauderdale,Fl
I used the camera remote feature during Christmas with an tripod. Really great!
[doublepost=1483204273][/doublepost]
It seems you lost the appreciation of the jewelry aspect of a traditional watch for functionality of the AW.
Even though it's not fine jewelry it has a fashion aspect to it. Also have 12 bands and switch it up with different faces. The combinations really give a look for any purpose or dress occasion. Which is the reason i have mutilple mechanicals.

BarracksSi

Suspended
Jul 14, 2015
Even though it's not fine jewelry it has a fashion aspect to it. Also have 12 bands and switch it up with different faces. The combinations really give a look for any purpose or dress occasion. Which is the reason i have mutilple mechanicals.

Right, and I think most people overlook how important it was for the AW to switch bands so easily.

If a smartwatch is going to be a daily-wear device, it needs to be adaptable to different clothing styles. Regular watch wearers who have several watches often choose between them based on their outfit or the watches' functions. People who wear just one or two watches picked them partly because of the strap, too -- leather, fabric, rubber, and bracelet all change the character a great deal.

A smartwatch can only do more than general fitness things if it's worn all the time -- to the office, while shopping, on vacation, wherever. Fitness watches currently on the market just don't have enough stylistic flexibility, and I don't think other smartwatches can change straps so easily, either.

If I could nominate anything for the Watch's "killer app", I'd submit the strap connection for consideration. It's so easy to use, and only half of it is proprietary—adapters can be made to fit almost any normal strap on the market today.

ManicMarc

macrumors 6502
Jul 1, 2012
Accuracy, utility and style are the reasons I went for the Apple Watch.
I've had traditional watches before, and 90's databank watches when I was a kid. They just seem a bit lifeless after using an Apple Watch.

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
Note I put paint in quotes as at the time I wasn't sure what Apple called it. Space Black is the "paint" I was referring to. At around 1:31 or so in the Apple video, they state they put a "diamond like" carbon layer over the stainless steel. I love how they called it "diamond like" as though they were painting the already refined stainless steel with diamonds. Sorry, just don't think that's a great idea. If I'm paying for stainless steel, I want to see it in its shiny glory. Especially if it's supposedly refined already. SO, in layman's terms, they painted stainless steel. Thanks for posting the video to prove my point!

Respectfully Sir, you haven't proven anything. And you also are misdirecting how Diamond like carbon is used and I thinks evident you don't understand the process of what DLC is. Allow me to iterate for you:

Diamond Like Carbon or DLC is the second hardest material to diamonds itself. That said, Diamond like carbon is exactly that....diamond like. It has the hardness and rigidity of a diamond. The DLC is not "Painted." It's a physical vapor, plating and heat treatment applied to the black stainless to strengthen the body from corrosion, nicks and scratches. Why apply it to black stainless? Because black has the tendency to lose its luster and color over time due to the amount of exposure of the environment it's subjected to, hence showing more of a weathered gun metal gray tone or effect, where as regular stainless hides blemishes and discoloration far easier over black.

Apple went beyond and applied the DLC coating, not "Painting it", which added to the strength of the 316 L stainless, which is a very soft and supple stainless.

You mentioned if you were to purchase the Stainless Watch, you didn't want the DLC to hinder "The Shiny glory." You're also wrong here, the DLC has zero effect on the luster on the stainless Models, because again, the DLC is coated through vapor and plating. Look at it like invisible ink, it's there, you just can't physically see it. So your shiny glory isn't affected at all.

So, no Laymans terms doesn't equate to what or how you decipher DLC to be used and it's true purpose specifically for black stainless Watches. And for the record, the black stainless Apple Watch is highly scratch resistant with the DLC coating, which is easily a huge advantage over the aluminum model, which is anodized.

You stated it's "Not a great idea." On the contrary, it's a brilliant idea and executed seamlessly on the black stainless Watch, and if it's been a selling point for many of those who have made the decision to upgrade to the black stainless. And anyone in this forum can contest to how the shine of the Black stainless Watch looks very pristine and glimmers.

If you choose to refute or question my above comments reference your misguided previous post, please refer to the posted links below for your education. Also, I listed how Diamond Like Carbon is applied in general and it's history.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Diamond-like_carbon

http://betanews.com/2015/06/25/apple-watch-vs-apple-watch-

sport/http://m.imore.com/apple-watch-and-durability

Last edited:

OriginalAppleGuy

Suspended
Sep 25, 2016
Virginia
@Relentless Power, I see your chosen screen name fits your personality. Don't really want to take over this thread to discuss the difference between a "regular" stainless steel and what Apple calls space grey so I'll keep this short.

You're right, I was unaware that diamond like carbon was more than a phrase the marketing team came up with and appreciate the education. We can agree to disagree on the semantics of coating vs painting. The fact remains they put something over polished stainless steel and I still don't think it's a good idea. Just as I don't like gold plating, coating, etc. To each their own.

Reactions: Sunny1990

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
@Relentless Power, I see your chosen screen name fits your personality. Don't really want to take over this thread to discuss the difference between a "regular" stainless steel and what Apple calls space grey so I'll keep this short.

You're right, I was unaware that diamond like carbon was more than a phrase the marketing team came up with and appreciate the education. We can agree to disagree on the semantics of coating vs painting. The fact remains they put something over polished stainless steel and I still don't think it's a good idea. Just as I don't like gold plating, coating, etc. To each their own.

Disparaging against my user name has nothing to do with the topic and is inappropriate. You managed to deflect against anything I stated, in which you claimed was correct .

And it's not semantics, I merely corrected you, being you posted a remark stating I proved your point by posting the video, when in fact you were wrong with no points made at all. Anyone reading your previous posts will adhere to what was discussed. It's not matter of disagreeing with you, it was proving the point in what you attempted to portray.

And for the record, it's Space Black, not Space gray. The DLC was the topic of discussion, not the color.

I Like having discussions like anyone else on here, but please leave the Snark remark out of the discussion. It's uncalled for.

Reactions: raqball

anybutbush

macrumors newbie
Apr 10, 2015
I have a pair of mechanical watches made by a German watchmaker (R. Nienaber) which I had for a few years before I was given an Apple Watch for birthday. I love my mechanical watches which I wind daily and represent an apex in human ingenuity and craftsmanship. Perhaps a 19-20 century craftsmanship. The Apple Watch represents 21st century ingenuity and craftsmanship. It does different things but does not replace my love of the watchmaker's skill. I wear them both each day, Nienaber on the L wrist and AW on the R wrist. I benefit from each. If I want to know what time it is, I look at Nienaber and keep the AW raise-wrist function off as it extends battery life. I am happy to push the crown to see what's happening on my AW. Perhaps I suffer from too much information?

hans

BeefCake 15

macrumors 68020
Original poster
May 15, 2015
I have a pair of mechanical watches made by a German watchmaker (R. Nienaber) which I had for a few years before I was given an Apple Watch for birthday. I love my mechanical watches which I wind daily and represent an apex in human ingenuity and craftsmanship. Perhaps a 19-20 century craftsmanship. The Apple Watch represents 21st century ingenuity and craftsmanship. It does different things but does not replace my love of the watchmaker's skill. I wear them both each day, Nienaber on the L wrist and AW on the R wrist. I benefit from each. If I want to know what time it is, I look at Nienaber and keep the AW raise-wrist function off as it extends battery life. I am happy to push the crown to see what's happening on my AW. Perhaps I suffer from too much information?

hans

Does any body comment on the double watch style? :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.