Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

losackmd

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 18, 2004
why is it that i get such great consistent sounding results when i record directly out from my 20 year old very inexpensive BOSS mixer's rca's outs that has an Ensoniq TS 10 synth, a shure prologue mic going into it, and send audio into
SOUND STUDIO ( FELT sotware company) ( a very cheap but wonderful App for recording
AIFFS). The same goes for Cubase SL 1.0.6.
The same goes for any of my other freeware or very cheap software recording apps that result in great sounding AIFFS.
Even Wire tapp!
Simply hitting record on these cheap apps on my G4 or G5 i get
the job done well. I have plugged into GB and cant get a guitar to sound good, vocals are too noisy.
Why the difficulty? I have asked producers and composers who have told me that they never use Fire wire or USB units to record into the MAC! They go directly into the stereo sound in on the MAC.
With GB does anyone know why it has this peculiarity that entails spending hundreds of dollars to record vocals or instruments into it. A little noise or hiss is tolerable but is Apple working on this
or am i missing something?
thanks again

gl

Oroboros

macrumors newbie
Feb 26, 2004
It's possible that you're missing something. Like details :)

losackmd said:
With GB does anyone know why it has this peculiarity that entails spending hundreds of dollars to record vocals or instruments into it. A little noise or hiss is tolerable but is Apple working on this or am i missing something?

It could be an electrical earthing problem you have in your studio/ home (though that problem normally introduces hum, not hiss). It could be that you're recording acoustic information through your in-built microphone, rather than your high quality mic, because of a neglected preference setting.

There have been bit-rate incompatibilites as well - some have experienced noise problems because they're using signal chains that use incompatible bitrates (reading in at 24-bit while recording in 16-bit, for instance). It might be that the leads you're using in one chain are nice modern ones, while another signal chain uses corroded leads.

I can't pretend to know what's up with your Mac sound chain. Details are pretty thin on the ground, if you'll pardon the pun :) But if you could supply more details, the solution might not be to buy expensive gear: it could be as simple as a preference setting, or as expensive as buying a new lead.

-Oro

Snarf!

macrumors member
Mar 10, 2004
BG, Norway
It may very likely NOT be your hardware messing up. It might be the GB app itself. I`ve been using GB only for a week, but still, I`ve tried a few things with it. I mainly use it as a guitar amp on the go. There is no problem with my setup yet, and I AM using firewire hardware. Have you made sure all the system preffs are set right? That could be it. In my own experience firewire devices are great for recording in both logic/protools and GB. So if theres nothing wrong with your computer or the audio hardware, than maybe a new install is required
Good luck

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.