Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Carguy172

macrumors member
Oct 8, 2006
Is Dell the best you can do? Come back again when Fujitsus and Thinkpads are cheaper than the Apple. It seems like each time people go on about how expensive macs are, the best justification they got is how much Dell is cheaper. Why Dell? Everyone knows how crappy Dell machines are, you just get what you pay for.

What is with you people and dell have you ever owned a dell if you have then you would know their service is very good and so is their quality, I swear this really pisses me off you guys say macs are so good if they are how come there is so many problems people have with them.

im not saying dell is perfect either but you don't have to say there crap i don't go around saying apple is crap don't judge dell if you haven't owned one.

iW00t

macrumors 68040
Nov 7, 2006
Defenders of Apple Guild
What is with you people and dell have you ever owned a dell if you have then you would know their service is very good and so is their quality, I swear this really pisses me off you guys say macs are so good if they are how come there is so many problems people have with them.

im not saying dell is perfect either but you don't have to say there crap i don't go around saying apple is crap don't judge dell if you haven't owned one.

Alrighty then. I concede to you on this one, so Dell is great. Why are you even here?

Nobody took you to gunpoint and forced you to buy a Macbook/Pro. Don't like it, don't buy. Like it but find it expensive? Tough.

EvryDayImShufln

macrumors 65816
Sep 18, 2006
Ok I think I found the answer to this thread. It lies in the Turion processor.

If you configure basically any dell with a C2D processor of equivalence to the one in the Macbook, you will find the price to be very similar.

The best comparison in my opinion is the dell M1210 configured with 2.0 C2D, 1 gig ram, 120 gig hard drive, bluetooth + cam + remote

Dont forget the mac comes with a bunch of stuff that we usually take for granted, such as the camera, bluetooth, remote,

Anyhow the dell ended up being over a hundred bucks more (canadian dollars). And that was with XP home, not even pro.

All this to say that apples are not so overpriced like everybody thinks. Although you do pay a premium, you usually get your money's worth without realising.

Here is my experiment now:
I will create 2 PCs, one being a dell one being an apple, top of the line. Now I understand dells are more customizable but I will try to make everything identical:

DELL = 3738$ (CAN)
APPLE = not sure apple store wont load, dont know why, but around 3200 or less (high estimate)

Anyhow I know the dell has some features that the 17 inch apple doesnt, (crazy good videocard), but at least they are in the same price range. Plus the 17 inch apple is a hell of alot thinner, lighter, nicer looking, etc.

HOWEVER, although people diss dells up, they are not actually half bad these days. Apparently they are pretty solid laptops (the XPS line I mean).

Anyway I hope I proved something, if I'm wrong about anything tell me, I'm anxious to hear it.

Elisha

macrumors 6502a
Nov 21, 2006
I'd say that this is way off base, considering the attraction for OS X to almost everyone on this forum. Also, think of how many threads there are titled "Why won't Apple release OS X for PCs?". For me, OSX is THE reason I have my powerbook, followed by aesthetics and build quality/feel.

nah....its the build and intel. OSX is so limited. but thats exactly why some people like it cause it doesn't offer too many options.

i love options, but hate OSX.

rdf8585

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 15, 2006
I don't think everyone wants stuff like Front Row - if it was an option, I wouldn't get it - so why not offer a basic, no-frills laptop for less?

Sesshi

macrumors G3
Jun 3, 2006
One Nation Under Gordon
Because it is an incredibly boring topic that keeps getting raised every five minutes, if I went on a PC forum and said "What about Viruses/Spyware?" in every thread every five minutes everyone would tell me to shut-up and rightly so.

Then you'd probably get a discussion of what's good. And everyone will trash McAfee and Norton of course.

A machine which is built as relatively indifferently as a Dell but isn't designed to be is a problem however you look at it. Build quality issues don't affect many of you? You're more patient than I am - but I suppose that's what it takes to be a fanboy :rolleyes:

Sun Baked

macrumors G5
May 19, 2002
Then you'd probably get a discussion of what's good. And everyone will trash McAfee and Norton of course.

Won't work, no matter how many times you drag their icon and company to the trash the company will still exist. :(

Almost like a virus... :eek:

A is jump

macrumors regular
Dec 14, 2005
San Francisco, Ca
I think its simply a different business model.
Apple does charge more, because they have a monopoly on the OS. this allows them to charge a higher premium for the computer itself, reaping them good profits.
Dell sells alot more computers, and the market for PCs is alot more competitive. therefore they kinda have to price them that low... and their profit margin is probably rather low.
didnt apples net worth surpass dells just recently? That in itself is a testement to the business model apple employs. Dell sells a heck of alot more computers than apple, yet apple is making alot more money. sounds like smart business to me.
I also wish they cost less... however I"m not one to complain, since I really like the way they look, and perform, and their customer support is GREAT. oh... and Logic pro doesnt run on a pc... so that settles it for me.

grum

macrumors regular
Jul 22, 2006
I dont know about in America, but over here the difference between like for like dell and apple prices is really not that much at all. I am a switcher (ordered a macbook) and I always thought apple's stuff was overpriced, but if you actually try to configure a dell with nearly identical specs, there is very little difference in price.

deadpixels

macrumors 6502a
Oct 30, 2006
I dont know about in America, but over here the difference between like for like dell and apple prices is really not that much at all. I am a switcher (ordered a macbook) and I always thought apple's stuff was overpriced, but if you actually try to configure a dell with nearly identical specs, there is very little difference in price.
it's actually th same in th u.s, its been all over the net a while ago when apple introduced the first intel macs but some people just don't wanna see it :D

mkrishnan

Moderator emeritus
Jan 9, 2004
Grand Rapids, MI, USA
here's my opinion, market share is rising because MAC moved to Intel, making it possible to run Windows. not because of OSX. feel free to argue about it.

i only bought the macbook so i can run Windows on it. the reason i chose the macbox is cause it is small and beautiful and not cause of OSX.

OSX is nice an all but not as flexible as XP viruses or not.

That's a nice argument. The only thing that really even comes close to being able to answer it is...

reality.

Look at Apple's sales charts. Put a a little thumbtack in the announcement date for Intel products, and see if there's any support for your argument (there isn't).

YS2003

macrumors 68020
Dec 24, 2004
Finally I have arrived.....
I don't think Apple products are expensive. I think they price their products optimally based on their target customers, market segments, and business model.
Frankly speaking, I like Apple products to be priced higher than other run-of-the-mill PC products. It's like a higher price of admission. For people with not enough discretionary money, my comments would be offensive; but, Apple is not in the charity business and it is a profit generating enterprise.
Some PC companies are not making any cent on their PC sales (some of them are loosing money for each PC they sell and make up the loss with accessory sales).

Eraserhead

macrumors G4
Nov 3, 2005
UK

:p, you get the idea, it is boring going over Mac vs PC costs. I'm not talking about build quality, as I haven't used enough computers to know if Dell's build quality is higher or lower than Apple's, you'd need to work in a large IT department supporting probably 100 of each, maybe as many as 1000 to get a good feel (though my Stats is too weak to give substantive figures.) for build quality.

A machine which is built as relatively indifferently as a Dell but isn't designed to be is a problem however you look at it.

Good point, though I have mentioned here that I think the design of my Macbook is better than the Dell Latitude X300, so even though I can't criticise the Dell for build quality, I think I can criticise for bad design ;).

Elisha

macrumors 6502a
Nov 21, 2006
Look at Apple's sales charts. Put a a little thumbtack in the announcement date for Intel products, and see if there's any support for your argument (there isn't).

show me the chart then instead of just talking about it.

grum

macrumors regular
Jul 22, 2006
OK so im sad and have nothing better to do with my life, but i just configured a 12" dell (nearest screen size to 13.3" macbook) to as near to macbook specifications as possible.

Components
Intel® Core™ 2 Duo Processor T5600 (1.83 GHz, 2 MB L2 cache, 667 MHz FSB)
Genuine Windows® XP Professional, SP2 (incl Operating System Re-Installation CD)
Premium XPS Service, 1 Year (incl. Gaming and On-Site Support)
12.1" WXGA (1280x800) TFT Display with TrueLife™ and integrated 1.3 mega pixel web cam
1024MB 533MHz Dual Channel DDR2 SDRAM (2x512)
80GB (5,400rpm) Hard Drive
Fixed Internal 8X DVD+/-RW with Software
Intel® Media Accelerator 950 Graphics Up to 256MB shared graphics memory
6 Cell, 56Whr Lithium Ion Primary Battery
Accessories
Intel® Pro WLAN 3945 Internal Wireless (802.11a/b/g 54 Mbps) for Core 2 Duo Processors
Dell™ Wireless 350 Bluetooth 2.0 Module (up to 3Mbps) with Enhanced Data Rate
No Carry Case
No Floppy Drive Option
Services & Software
No Security/Anti-Virus Protection
Microsoft® Works 8.5 - English
No Photo Organising & Sharing Software/No Photo Editing Software
Also Includes
Internal Keyboard - UK/Ire (QWERTY)
N11X25 - XPS M1210 Better
Inspiron Order - UK
English - System Documentation & UK Power Cord
English - Adobe Reader 8.5.8
65W AC Adapter
56.6k V.92 Capable Internal Modem & Adapter
Premium XPS Service, 1 Year (incl. Gaming and On-Site Support)
Dell Internet Order.
Network Assist - 90 Day Trial
Resource CD - contains Diagnostics and Drivers

Price for all that is £1,184 - nearly as much as the low-end macbook pro. You also dont get any of the iLife applications or equivalent, and a slower processor than the mid-range macbook. It also doesn't include any virus protection software. edit: AND you get a remote control with the macbook.

For £870, using educational discount (which dell doesn't offer) I just ordered a 2ghz core 2 duo macbook with 2 gigs of RAM. I'd like to see someone try and explain how the mac is more expensive.

The dell is also fugly as hell compared to my sexy macbook :p

12605.jpg

228646035_643e39a08b.jpg

edit: AND the mac can run windows as well as OSX

eskalation.dk

macrumors member
Oct 4, 2006
IMO it comes down to the build of the laptop, i dont feel im paying a premium for apple products!

Apple has put so much R&D into their laptops, which has probably banked apple for millions.. that makes the laptop more expensive, they have a great design, that also costs money to create - and allows them to charge more for their laptops, look at Bang & Olufsen for example, their TVs are really expensive, but actually, on the inside they are just philips!
Furthermore the laptop is filled with nifty details such as the MagSafe, the trackpad, SMS, keyboard illumination, webcam and so on... again ideas and research..

So of cause these laptops become even more expensive than pcs, but seriously, its not that much? i just tried putting together a dell m1710.. almost same config, only the dell has a better gfx card (i couldnt choose a x1600) a 256MB NVIDIA® GeForce™ Go 7900 GS.. but the laptop costs $3453... alot more than the 17"er... $700 or so... (prices were gathered at the US stores for both companies)..

This is a stupid topic, cause you really cant compare dell and apple imo...

Dell has crummy designs, look at the XPS'!! Theyre fawking ugly, bulky and heavy... Of cause in some situations yes, the dells are cheaper.. but their mainboards probably arent custom made? they probably arent as silent?! and they probably arent nowhere near as featurefilled!!

I am happily paying the Apple "premium",in fact i just shelled out $3856 (I live in Denmark) for a 17" MBP C2D, although i havnt got it yet :mad:..

The one thing i wont pay for... is apples retarded SUPER OVERPRICED AppleCare... In Europe its worth **** as Apple is forced to give 2 yrs of warranty :) I bought a cheaper insurance that covers so much more and costs less!..

aristobrat

macrumors G5
Oct 14, 2005
When comparing costs, how do you put a dollar amount on the design of a notebook?

Side-by-side, my partners 15" PB is dwarfed (in size) by our roommates 15" Dell Inspiron.

That's got to be worth something. I know it's not important to some people (like the Apple Remote), but the fact is that it's part of the total package and somehow figures into the price, no?

Attachments

• 100_2985.jpg
    100_2985.jpg
    122.7 KB · Views: 68

Elisha

macrumors 6502a
Nov 21, 2006
Apple has put so much R&D into their laptops, which has probably banked apple for millions.. that makes the laptop more expensive, they have a great design, that also costs money to create - and allows them to charge more for their laptops, look at Bang & Olufsen for example, their TVs are really expensive, but actually, on the inside they are just philips!

i was thinking Asus.

anyway your can't compare the slimness of a Mac because Mac's have their cpu soldered in so it can't be replaced this it allows for a slimmer design as opposed to PCs where the cpu is swappable.

eskalation.dk

macrumors member
Oct 4, 2006
i was thinking Asus.

anyway your can't compare the slimness of a Mac because Mac's have their cpu soldered in so it can't be replaced this it allows for a slimmer design as opposed to PCs where the cpu is swappable.

Well, i have never heard about anyone swapping CPUs in their laptops... They will void the warranty if they do so but after the warranty expires it might come in handy, hmm.. and i am sure that the reason why their laptops have cpu bays are because they arent producing their own mainboards? That too is a MAJOR reason to why their laptops are bigger!

I didnt get the Asus thing?

G-Force

macrumors 6502a
Nov 25, 2006
First of all, it's not ASUS who built those notebooks, it's ASUSTeK. That's something different. Also Apple designs the notebooks from scratch, they only let ASUSTeK build them...

And I don't get why a socketed CPU should be a bonus over a soldered CPU? Fact is that the MacBooks are thinner, wether you like it or not...

jaws01

macrumors member
Nov 3, 2006
People who what somthing different will pay the premium. Mac's are "considered" as the "premium" computer brand.

I love owning a MacBook, and I also like the stares and questions I get about owning one. :D

Elisha

macrumors 6502a
Nov 21, 2006
Well, i have never heard about anyone swapping CPUs in their laptops... They will void the warranty if they do so but after the warranty expires it might come in handy, hmm.. and i am sure that the reason why their laptops have cpu bays are because they arent producing their own mainboards? That too is a MAJOR reason to why their laptops are bigger!

I didnt get the Asus thing?

Apple doesn't produce their own motherboards either. they just give dimensions and Asus builds them.

swapping out cpu definitely voids the warranty. but at least you have the option to make it more powerful.
almost all older laptop motherboards had soldered cpus on them.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.