Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

oli356

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 6, 2010
I was just looking on amazon at iPad cases.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/TeckNet®-Pr...A6/ref=sr_1_11?ie=UTF8&qid=1331755551&sr=8-11 £12 ish after postage.

I'm looking at cases such as the Skinny or the Smart feather, which cost £40 and £30. Makes me wonder why I spend so much. In America the cases are a lot more reasonable priced, especially as you don't have to pay for international shipping.

Why does everyone choose to spend a fair bit of money on cases compared to cheapo ones? Surely the quality difference can't be that different if anything.

elaniemay

macrumors 6502a
Oct 11, 2011
California, USA
I always look for a good deal on cases/accessories. That said, I paid $901 for my iPad...I don't expect to pay $10 protecting it, but that's just me.

I also have an obsession with cases. I like having options.

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005
I've bought an el cheapo case and it was not great. The iPad did not fit well and it would not stay upright.

OneMike

macrumors 603
Oct 19, 2005
A lot of times quality actually is a big issue.

Threads busting loose over time, camera hole and such not lining up, case being too loose, cardboard weak under materials and flexing over time, color fading, parts falling off, etc..

I don't think you necessarily need to pay £40. You have to keep in mind though, beyond the above many more expensive cases offer drop protection or actual leathers and such.

Depends specifically what you're comparing that case to.

lique831

macrumors regular
Dec 22, 2011
I've had cheap cases and after a while the cheapness shows and then I have to spend money on a higher quality. I end up spending more money than if I had just bought a quality one to begin with.

Nuts4Apple

macrumors member
Mar 11, 2012
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPod; CPU iPhone OS 5_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9B176 Safari/7534.48.3)

The case that I am looking to buy (just waiting until it arrives at Best Buy instore or online) costs $59.99. When I first started looking at cases, I had no intention of spending that much but for the quality and functionality that it provides, it's worth it IMO. Sometimes it's better to spend a bit more on a quality case than end up wasting money and time buying and replacing cheap cases that don't perform well in time.

cashel

macrumors member
Oct 30, 2006
None of the cheapo cases (and a good chunk of the expensive ones) seem to truly cover the ipad completely. There's always a giant chunk missing for the Apple logo, or the sides are left wide open, or something. My ideal case is one with a tight, form fitting back and a solid cover (moreso than the Smart Cover) with the magnetic on/off feature. The SwitchEasy Canvas is really the perfect case for me (perhaps borderline too bulky, but it hasn't bothered me too much) and I'm willing to spend the money on it. $50 is probably my max for a case though, I'm already spending another $30 on a screen protector.

batotman

macrumors 6502
Mar 14, 2012
They're all going to be inflated at first, just the nature of the game. My two iPad 1's are in CaseCrown gliders ($10 each) and I really like them. I've got a bunch of other ones including the $5 amazon ones (pretty much what you'd expect for $5....crappy), and a Griffin folio (hate it, hate folio cases).

I'm hoping to get a decent form fitting one for under $20. I don't leave the house with mine (nor am I clumsy.....famous last words....) so I don't need an Otterbox or anything.

oli356

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 6, 2010
Why spend money on nice clothes? U want to look good.

Sure u can shop at Walmart and be satisfied but we dont
I see your point, in no way am I against buying expensive cases.. I bought 2 fairly expensive cases for my iPhone 4S. My friends were like what the hell I just went and bought a £5 case from the shop down the road.

My iPad 1 i had a snugg case, the fit was bad.. It would like slide down so couldn't really be used on the stand position. I ended up using the official iPad case considering I got one for free.. it looked pretty bad, but was very thin and kept it from scratches etc.

And cheap doesn't always mean bad and tatty, especially with clothing ;)

Photography

macrumors 65816
Apr 10, 2007
I've always stood by this phrase (generally, obviously there are some exceptions to the rule): You get what you pay for.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.