Why "starch" your shirts?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by jb60606, Jun 3, 2009.

1. macrumors 6502a

I feel stupid asking this, but what does starching do? Does it "stiffen" the thread or something so that the clothing maintains "shape"?

Are there any negative affects on the clothing or skin? If they offered you "low, medium or high" starch (as I was offered, and I later declined - not knowing what its exact purpose was) what would you normally choose?

The lady behind the counter could barely speak a word of english, so I couldn't really ask her.

Thanks

2. JNB
    macrumors 604

JNB

It does add stiffness to the fabric, mainly to maintain a crisp, pressed appearance longer into the day. Mainly for men's dress shirts, and also mainly when the fabric is cotton or wool. Man-made fibers shouldn't generally be starched.

My dry cleaners starches all my polyester tropical short-sleeves, and doesn't for my dress shirts. I'm going to have to kill them now.

3. macrumors 65816

Mousse

Nothing like starched shirt to give me that nice itchy feeling.:rolleyes: I hate having my shirt starched.

4. macrumors 6502a

Macaddicttt

According to Wikipedia:

5. macrumors 603

Tomorrow

It "stiffens" the fabric as you described, yes. It also helps to keep the fabric from wrinkling so easily, so a starched shirt will stay looking fresh and pressed well into the day as you're wearing it.

I've never heard of any negative effects. Perhaps if you're allergic to starch, but I've never heard of that.

I assume your clothes are cotton or broadcloth, starch won't hurt those; permanent press, nylon, etc. are generally wrinkle-free on their own and don't need starch, plus I don't know if the starch will even permeate them correctly.

I usually only have my dress shirts and cotton slacks/khakis starched, I go for heavy on the shirts and medium on the khakis.

Seems to be the norm for dry cleaners - I don't really know why.

6. macrumors 68020

Macky-Mac

I find that light starch for dress shirts gives them a little bit of crispness and keeps the shirt looking fresh.

Give it a try and see if you like the results....that's your best bet

7. macrumors 6502a

iPhoneNYC

I say no to starch: don't like the feel or the look.

8. macrumors 601

themoonisdown09

I've never used starch on any of my clothing.

9. Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

We used to have to starch our BDU uniforms, but they have since done away with that for the ACUs. It caused them to fade faster and trap heat inside - leaving you to sweat more.

10. thread starter macrumors 6502a

Thanks for the info, folks. I'm going to give light starch a trial run to see how my normally sensitive skin reacts. I always hate how my shirts look at the end of the day.

11. macrumors 68020

ziggyonice

I'm a little OCD about wrinkles on clothing... I just can't stand the appearance, looks very messy. Using starch really helps eliminate them and keeps the shirt looking crisp all day long.

/OCD rant.

12. macrumors 65816

Signal-11

BDU uniforms... You're one of those guys who says PIN number and ATM machine, aren't you? ;)

13. Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

Actually, no. I was being repetitive for clarity - since the vast majority will not know what BDUs are.

14. macrumors 601

What do you call them? ;)

15. macrumors P6

MacDawg

I like my shirts with medium starch
    Seems to work out well for me

Woof, Woof - Dawg [​IMG]

16. Guest

iGary

LL Bean makes wrinkle resistant shirts that are so good you never even have to press them (they even have permanent creases on the sleeves and cuffs). I stopped taking shirts to the dry cleaners years ago.

17. macrumors 6502a

Is this a trick question? :confused: I do see the smiley.

PIN= Personal Identification Number

PIN number = Personal Identification Number number :confused:

I call it a PIN or an ATM.

As for the starch question, my grandma starches her clothes. I don't even want to iron mine.

18. macrumors 65816

Signal-11

Relax, man. I'm just giving you a hard time. ;)

19. macrumors 601

Read this post… it was in answer to:
    So I just wanted to know what Signal-11 calls them. ;)

20. macrumors 6502a

Yeah, all my work shirts are the no-iron shirts from brooks brothers, they have a permanent crease and as long as you hang them up out of the dryer, they are wrinkle free. oh yeah-- you can launder them with your regular clothes too, so no need to dry clean, which is nice.

21. macrumors 65816

MarkCollette

Except that it didn't explain what the B or D stood for :p

/ No, seriously, what does B D Uniform mean?

22. macrumors 65816

Signal-11

Battle Dress Uniform.

They used to come in heavier weight 50/50 Nyco or lighter weight cotton ripstop. Either way, like RJS mentioned, starching them would tended to kill all breathibility and turn the blouse into a heat trap.

23. macrumors 65816

MarkCollette

I'm betting this is some kind of British language thing where you're a soldier but call your outfit a blouse and dress... Like how pants are underwear.

24. JNB
    macrumors 604

JNB

Nope. Just specific terminology for the type of attire, though we did inherit it predominately from the Brits. Blouse, not to be confused with shirt or coat, but is worn in lieu of either. Also not to be confused with blousing, which is what is done to pants instead of leaving the cuffs to hang open outside footwear.

Dress, not an article of clothing, but denoting a manner or occasion of wear, as in battle dress, dinner dress (aka dress mess), dress whites/undress whites, etc.

Retired 11 years and I still check my gig line… :rolleyes:

25. macrumors 65816

StealthRider

It's worse when they double-crease the whites. Or, worse, double-crease the poly-wool khakis that already have permanent creases. That's a ticket to a new shirt. I've taken to just telling them to clean the shirts without pressing. I do a better job anyway.

Oh, and the gig line thing...yeah...