Why Steve Jobs should start a bank

Discussion in 'MacBytes.com News Discussion' started by MacBytes, Jan 23, 2009.

1. macrumors bot

2. macrumors member

Seriously?

Please tell me these people were making this article as a joke?
    When they start saying apple should open a bank or whatever crap they wrote, you can tell its a slow day.

3. macrumors regular

Worst. Article. Ever.

4. macrumors 68020

winmacguy

I gather it was a bit tongue n cheek.

5. macrumors 6502a

Haha, that's really funny! :)

6. macrumors 68030

Winni

And now imagine Apple would invest those 28.1 billion USD in medical research, for example to find a cure for cancer. Or AIDS.

Or imagine the United States would cut their military budget in half and invest the rest in humanitarian projects instead.

Utopia.

7. macrumors 6502a

Angelo95210

I want my Apple visa card and get my genius advising me on financial products ! :D

8. macrumors 65816

Genghis Khan

It's not so unbelievable. Anyone can start a bank, all you need is capital. What's more, the world (esp. U.S.A.) needs liquidity at the moment, and Apple would be providing a service similar to that of J.P Morgan around 1900 (albeit on a lesser scale).

The only reason I would advise Apple not to do so would be that Apple's current business plan has been to invest in itself to enhance the company, which, in itself, is very sound.

- Michael

9. macrumors 6502a

Garbage.

10. macrumors regular

would we get free iChecks?

11. macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

No. When you run out of checks, you have to start a whole new account. :D

12. macrumors 68040

elppa

The bank issued debit cards would be beautiful.

You wouldn't have numbers or Visa logos or any of that other junk on the front. Just a big white Apple.
    All your vital details would be laser etched on the reverse so they wouldn't rub off. It would also be made of aluminium so it wouldn't snap or bend.

Of course the card would also be too small too fit in a standard cash machine from any bank in the world other than an Apple bank, so you'd need to buy a special adaptor.

But they would be beautiful.

13. macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

Groan. In a way, Apple has already started a bank. Most of that cash is probably invested in short term securities.

14. macrumors 68040

Apple does not have a bank, but they have a corporate financial arm that they sure do not advertise.

Apple would be utterly uninterested in the low margins and high regulation of the banking industry.

They use their cash intelligently by acquiring companies that will give them a competitive advantage like PA Semi.

15. macrumors 68000

If you wanted a home loan, Apple would send out stylists who would decide if it was an attractive and functional design. Not many houses would qualify.

If the water heater went out, only Apple techs would be allowed to replace it. Although it would hold less water and take longer to heat up, it would cost a lot more than the tanks at Sears. It would, however, be a very sleek and well-proportioned tank indeed.

16. macrumors 6502

Theophany

"Niche bank"?

Retards like those are the reason people are so hyped up about a bank collapse. People who have no idea about financial systems should not be allowed to write about them.

17. macrumors 6502a

Belly-laughs

You didn´t know they´re already at it?

iBank.com

18. macrumors 6502

Free Mac Minis if you switch over:D.