Why "Stick-it" is proof that iTunes Movies will work

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by 05elstonc, Sep 21, 2006.

1. 05elstonc macrumors regular

05elstonc

Stick-It is the only film that was added to the iTunes store on tuesday. This is important for two reasons, 1) it is a control of sorts and 2) It is a $12.99 movie and not a library ($9.99) title.

What is the big deal? Well first think about the arguments that have been flying around against the importance of the 125k iTunes Movie Downloads which everyone is now aware of due to Bob Iger CEO of Disney. Many have claimed that the downloads were from Press and Bloggers needing to test the service. Another argument is the general public just wanted to test out the service, and they will not return in the future. And the third major argument is that the number is just not important, since it pales in comparison to song downloads and tv show downloads.

Stick-it can help disprove all of these claims and more. Stick-it jumped from dead last position, (since every other film had a 1-week lead, in both time on the store and mentions in the press) to being the #2 selling movie on the store for 3 days running. Stick-it a teeny bopper movie targeted towards teenage girls which faired ok in theatrical release has shot past the other 74 movies on the store to be the 2nd most downloaded movie daily. This movie is also $12.99. Why would anyone "testing" the service buy this when they could try one of the $9.99 films, esp when many people think even $9.99 is too expensive. Stick-it is being downloaded by people who want this film. Not only are they buying it in droves, but the target audience for this movie, not a particularly geeky crowd, found this movie on the store and bought it. This means that iTunes and Apple are successfully spreading the word about the film on the front page of the iTunes store and people care enough to click the link and download it. Plus 1 week in people who wanted to try the service most likely would have tested it by now, so 1 week in a new movie shoots to the top.

This example of a so-so film, aimed at a non-geeky audience, at $12.99 without the fanfare of the flashy launch, has rocketed to the #2 position. This seems to be evidence that Apple has a winner on their hand, I can only imagine what will happen when some more mass appeal movies are introduced.

2. MacBoobsPro macrumors 603

MacBoobsPro

Well said! :)

3. aricher macrumors 68020

aricher

My 10 yr old niece bought Stick-It using the iTunes gift card I gave her a few months ago. Yes! I created another iTunes/Mac Addict!

4. stoid macrumors 601

stoid

What if everyone tested out the service last week, and so only 4 movies have sold this week, 3 of them being the kids that wanted to watch Stick-It.

5. 05elstonc thread starter macrumors regular

05elstonc

I highly doubt that. lol

6. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

It may be helpful, but I don't see that many other studios joining soon enough to build momentum.

Universal already has their own store and 20th Century Fox is selling through MySpace, a Fox-owned company.

If Apple could seal deals with foreign film companies willing to distribute to the U.S.A., that might work and bring films here inexpensively that usually end up in the foreign film section for way too much money.

7. 05elstonc thread starter macrumors regular

05elstonc

After listening to Bob Iger on the Goldman Sachs Webcast, it seems quite clear that the CEO's of these media companies really don't care about the particular delivery method as long as it is revenue neutral, and does not weaken their other ventures. These companies have a legal obligation to make the best decisions for their shareholders to increase profits. If iTunes offers a way to increase profits they will participate.

8. DavidLeblond macrumors 68020

DavidLeblond

So they can't sell through 2 different portals?

Can't you get CBS shows from Google?

Can't you see a lot of ABC's shows (ie Lost) streaming from their website?

Can't you buy all of these shows/movies on DVD?

9. 05elstonc thread starter macrumors regular

05elstonc

Very true.

10. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

And both already sell/rent through Amazon's Unbox. Are Apple's terms that onerous that they would turn down another source of revenue. Given Iger's comments, looks like the provider keeps > 80% of the revenue.

I agree with the foreign film concepts, and since Apple isn't as bound in the film space as in music (thanks to Apple Records), there might even be a place for indie films/documentaries to release via iTunes only.

B

11. JPark macrumors 6502a

It'll be interesting to see what ABC does with the new season of Lost. I watched a couple episodes from their site last season and thought it was excellent. There were only about a minute, maybe a minute and a half total of commercial breaks for the whole show. I'd take that streaming that over watching broadcast tv anyday.

However, unless they've put them back up recently they aren't currently available on ABC's website.

12. 05elstonc thread starter macrumors regular

05elstonc

ABC is going to be doing the streaming again this season. I really thought it was a great experience as well. And the quality was fantastic.

13. macfan881 macrumors 68020

agreed i to think this is why itunes will sucssed and unbox or junkbox ;) will fail people will wanna dl movies that are a set price rather than paying somethin like 9.97 for The matrix and 23 for some other older movie a set price like itunes will work and i plan on perordering Dead mans Chest even though im gonna probally buy the dvd if its true that it has the trailer for worlds end

14. 05elstonc thread starter macrumors regular

05elstonc

Stick it! is still the #2 spot. I never knew there was so much demand for a gymnastics "Mean Girls". Who knew.

15. BWhaler macrumors 68020

BWhaler

Interesting thoughts. Thanks for sharing.

I hope Apple crushes these sales numbers early so the other studios come on board. I'd love to see some more content.

16. 05elstonc thread starter macrumors regular

05elstonc

I think all of the major studios had meetings this week to re-evaluate their positions on the iTunes Movie store. It may take a month or so untill we see another studio join however, simply due to the legal issues regarding the clearing of the rights of the films for digital distribution. Bob Iger made a note of this on the Goldman Sachs Webcast.

17. dextertangocci macrumors 68000

Off the topic, but can you buy tv shows and movies etc with an iTunes music card? Or did you mean a gift certificate?

18. 05elstonc thread starter macrumors regular

05elstonc

Stick it! is now #1. This was not a 1 day fluke, there is real demand for this film, and in turn for the iTunes movie downloads.

19. savar macrumors 68000

savar

20. jholzner macrumors 65816

jholzner

I've bought several TV shows with a music card I was given.

21. Killyp macrumors 68040

Killyp

I would buy TV shows and Movies, but BT can't supply us with anything faster than 566 k internet as they refuse to upgrade our phone exchange (which hasn't been changed since the 60s btw)... :mad:

22. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

This is something I was just wondering about. I wonder if Apple would consider setting up some kind of iTunes Store kiosks at Apple stores or other brick & mortar locations that would allow for fast downloads of movies and TV Shows to your iPod, perhaps even having local cache servers for popular content so that you are only limited by the speed of the USB bus.

B

23. 05elstonc thread starter macrumors regular

05elstonc

Stick it! is #1 again today. Also note that after the first few days of being on the store there were 26 reviews for the film, then 76, then 102, and today 202. This is not a linear curve. Also many of the reivews are from young girls. I find it amazing that they spent the time to write a review, quite telling as to the value the download had to them. If young girls are using the service it has certainly passed the techie barrier so many companies and products never breach.

24. 05elstonc thread starter macrumors regular

05elstonc

A quick note. I was just watching the "Showtime" event again and noticed during the iTV demo that "Stick it" was already in Steve's movie source list. Today that isn't that big of a deal since "Stick it" is for sale, but I also noticed that "Sky High" was also in the source list. The movie about the children of super heros going to High School. I think we will see this film debut on the iTunes Store tomorrow. This was the only other film I noticed that was not yet on the store, but in Steve's source list.

Not sure if this was Apple staging the store releases to keep the PR going for new movies being added each week or Disney wanting to stage to spread out the marketing on the store. I sure hope they release more than 1 movie a week. Disney has hundreds of recent movies (past 15 years) that would be a welcome addition.

Just wanted to share.
    Thoughts?

25. confirmed macrumors regular

confirmed

i wouldn't be surprised if Apple was holding certain library titles from release for PR reasons, but Stick It was only released on DVD last week.. so, it wasn't available for Apple to release when the movie store was announced.

now to see if it keeps selling, as the price has gone up to $14.99... it probably won't affect it's standing on the New Release list, competing with other films of the same price.. but how about the overall list? It's currently number 1, even against $9.99 titles.. but will that continue? should be interesting to see.. especially as Amazon is offering the DVD for the same price.

by the way, just want to throw out my hunch that Fox will be joining iTunes this Friday. not trying to start any rumors, just remembering that it took about 2 and a half weeks for new TV deals, after TV shows were first announced. I'd imagine it'd be about the same for movies.