Why the 10% restocking fee? It's not fair...

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by waltchan, May 18, 2006.

1. waltchan macrumors member

I bought a MacBook yesterday, but I am displeased with the functionality because the Apple sales rep deliberately lied to me that I can transfer all of my Garageband files with all the Jam Packs from my iMac G5 to the MacBook. It is not true and will not work. I tried taking it back to the Apple Store today and she said that there is a 10% restocking fee on opened computers. I said, "WHAT." I was shocked. Even if the rep lied to me, there is still a 10% restocking fee. Why does Apple have to charge a restocking fee? After all the money Apple is making from iPods, iMacs, and iTunes, Apple still needs to charge restocking fees. Only poor retailers do that. This is not fair. How come Dell doesn't. I will never buy Apple again after being so greedy and for false advertising me.

I ended up selling it on eBay for more. Basically when you buy an Apple computer, there are no returns or exchanges. Apple is now a risky brand to buy for me.

2. iGary Guest

iGary

Would you buy an opened computer for full price?

Did you use the migration assistant at startup?

3. decksnap macrumors 68040

decksnap

Of course you can transfer all of your garageband files and jampacks over. Sounds like user error.

4. waltchan thread starter macrumors member

How can I do that? Give me the procedures. I spoke with an Apple techinical support guy, and he said that I can transfer the application only but not the JamPacks. Who's right here?

5. janey macrumors 603

janey

Uh, moving the files should be as easy as pie. And what retail store doesn't charge a restocking fee for opened/used products? Hard pressed to find one. 10% restocking fee makes perfect sense.

I mean, there's about 10000 different ways to do what you want, two of which are glaringly obvious to me.
    1. http://web.mac.com/dh0/iWeb/HO/GarageBand Anywhere.html, by a MacRumors member, which lets you put gb anywhere you want
    2. finding the files on the old computer and moving them to the new one to wherever gb saves the loops

pebkac?

6. janey macrumors 603

janey

not at home to verify, but i'm pretty damn sure the jam packs come with installers that you can run again.

7. waltchan thread starter macrumors member

Unfortunately, I don't have the CDs to reinstall them. The Apple sales rep assured me that all of the Garageband Jam Packs can be transfered to my new MacBook, so that's why I bought this MacBook. But the Apple technical support guy said that this is totally not possible. Basically, the MacBook was misadvertised by the salesman. The Apple store won't give me my refund without the restocking fee, even if it's the store's fault. Do you think this is fair? :mad: So far in the past two years, I get better service from Dell than Apple, even if Dell's customer service is located in India.

8. janey macrumors 603

janey

?!?!??!
    The Jam Packs HAVE to be on your computer SOMEHOW (a hunch tells me it's in /Library/Application Support/GarageBand), all you need to do is MOVE them from the old one to the new one. I don't think it was an apple store employee's mistake because it HAS to be doable, otherwise it makes no sense at all. how is it misadvertisement?

9. Counterfit macrumors G3

Counterfit

They charge a restocking fee for opened products, because they can no longer sell them as new, and for full price. They pass their loss onto you.

10. zelmo macrumors 603

zelmo

You have more than one JamPack and have somehow lost the disks for all of them? Did you tell the Apple sales guy that you didn't have actual install disks?

11. aristobrat macrumors G4

Well, I guess that makes Best Buy, CompUSA, Circuit City poor retailers too. :rolleyes:

Your beef is that the Apple guy knowingly lied to you, which might make sense if it weren't for the fact that MacBooks are so hot that he could have sold it to the person who walked in 30 seconds after you. He had nothing to gain by lying. If anything, he (like posts in this thread) thought that Migration Wizard would move it over. Why not -- Migration Wizard moves everything else over.

It's amazing that you're taking no responsibilty in this. Do you always buy $1000+ products (especially on the first or second day that they're out) without knowing the freaking return policy first? Shame on you for that. And double shame on you for trying to turn Apple into the big evil corporation trying to take advantage of you, the poor innocent victim. Ugh.

12. CanadaRAM macrumors G5

CanadaRAM

Okey dokey then.
    If you don't have the CDs then chances are you don't own the license to the JamPacks.
    If you do, in fact, own legal licenses for the software, and have broken them or lost them, this is not Apple's problem. Order replacement CDs and reinstall
    If you don't, you don't have any leg to stand on if Apple won't help you preserve your pirated software.

It is entirely reasonable for an Apple rep to assume that 1) your data is moveable from machine to machine and that 2) for software that is not moveable because it requires an installer, you have the correct and legal installers.

It's like the old joke "Doctor, when my arm heals, will I be able to play violin? "Yes" "Oh good, cause I never knew how to before" The question was asked while pertinent information was witheld. Consequently, the respondent cannot be held accountable for the answer.

13. Gizmotoy macrumors 65816

Gizmotoy

To be fair, I can't think of any retail stores that charge a restocking fee other than MicroCenter, whose restocking fee is 15%. Most big-box places will take any return as long as you have a receipt with your purchase price, and some will even take it back without a receipt if you're willing to accept store credit at the current cost of the item. Of course, computers are a bit different and most limit it to 14 days and a receipt required... but still no restocking fee.

14. janey macrumors 603

janey

It's usually a small percentage of a restocking fee if the product is both not defective and has been opened.

i.e. Best Buy's policy:
    Circuit city's policy:
    The list goes on. This is for in-store returns, by the way, I'm sure their online return policies are a bit different.

15. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

I guess it is a moot point that people are telling you how to do this because you sold the MacBook right?
    Anyway, that's too bad. Hopefully you'll know that these kind people here are a wealth of knowledge and before you toss your macbook out the door for less than what you paid, ask here!

16. danny_w macrumors 601

You may be right that those stores TECHNICALLY have the restocking fee in their policies, and can charge them if they want, but (at least around here) they NEVER do that. They would all lose business to the next store down the block if they did, and everybody knows it. Apple is the ONLY major store that I knpw of that actually insists on a restocking fee, and is the major reason why I will NEVER buy anything from an Apple store (online or b&m). And Apple can only get away with it because people put up with it. Not me, buddy. I'll shop elsewhere for my money.

17. ITASOR macrumors 601

ITASOR

I moved all my JamPacks from my Quicksilver to my iBook when I first got it and they all work perfectly fine...I transferred them from the library folder (dig around you'll find where they're stored).

18. w8ing4intelmacs macrumors 6502a

That's zelmo's nice way of asking "Did you tell the Apple sales guy that you illegally pirate software?"

19. matticus008 macrumors 68040

matticus008

Speak for your own town. In the five cities I've lived in over the past few years, all the retailers charge a restocking fee in accordance with their published policy. They're not afraid of losing business because everyone has restocking fees. In fact, they seem to be becoming more prevalent rather than less because of the shrinking margins on electronics and the lower ticket price of these items.

Did you tell the sales rep you didn't have the CDs? Nope.
    Yes, it's fair. You can transfer Jam Packs, and there's nothing wrong with your MacBook prohibiting it. It's not the store's fault you lost your CDs or never actually owned them.

20. MovieCutter macrumors 68040

MovieCutter

Wow, do you have your mindset all wrong. You obviously have pirated software and it's Apple's fault that you can't figure out a very simple procedure to transfer your data? Wow, go back to Dell, we don't want you here.

21. fredwards macrumors member

lol i love how everyone assumes that just because he doesnt have installers it is pirated :D

maybe they got lost ain a freak cd melting accident? Anyways it kind of seems like you are looking for an excuse to give it back... maybe an impulse buy or something... but if you really wanted it and had a specific purpose wouldnt you research BEFORE you bought and not relied on the "expertise" of a sales person who obviously cannot know everything.

22. janey macrumors 603

janey

the logical conclusion 90% of the time for ONE jampack missing would be simply it being misplaced or melted or whatever. But unless your house burned down with the jampack disks inside, what's the odds that you misplace multiple disks and then blame an apple store employee's incompetence (is it incompetence? sounds more like an informed view more than anything, maybe ignorance brought upon by your selectively ignoring to mention the specifics of the situation) justified by an apple technician's stupidity (will they honestly say that there's no way? very, very doubtful) AND then proceed to attempt to return the $1000+ laptop, THEN get mad at an employee for the standard 10% restocking fee (which everyone does charge...some stores more than 10%, 15% seems to be the norm) and then proceed to go through the hassle of selling said laptop on ebay, where you manage to sell it for more than its market value despite already being opened and slightly used? Huh? Wait, don't forget coming here to troll a little bit about how much better Dell is than Apple (but...you returned this computer to get what? Garageband doesnt run in Windows...)...

I'm not really gonna pass judgment, but let's just say that if you misplaced the disks or if it was really about getting garageband working on that machine being a matter of life or death, you would not have returned it. You not being able to figure out how to move all the files from the old machine to the new one is a pebkac. In reality, no doubt you would have found those damn disks (if you did misplace it), bought replacements (if it was a matter of life or death), go for something more pro like Logic Express (if music creation meant the world for you), or live without the g*ddammed jam packs (average user, average case, average reaction).

23. janey macrumors 603

janey

:S Apple store asks for the restocking fee if it's open and perfectly fine when you try to return it. Everyone else here does the same, and sometimes is a bit more anal (higher fee, specific timeframe..). Apple wouldn't dare charge you a restocking fee if it was damaged or something :eek: but, I'd love to live where you did, cause nobody here omits the restocking fee.

24. truz macrumors 6502a

truz

waltchan,
    You should have check with macrumors.com for help before returning. :)

Restock fee is a must for everyone on opened things. Consider yourself lucky as some places won't take anything back unless damaged.

25. bedifferent macrumors 603

bedifferent

Wow. I've been to BestBuys all over and have NEVER been charged a restocking fee. In Rochester NY and NYC (family in Rochester and live in NYC) I've used a product once or twice for IT work that did not fit my needs and BsstBuy was extremely helpful in giving a full credit on a used item and even helping to find the item I need elsewhere.

Granted I hate that national chains have killed off smaller businesses I frequented, there are not many choices for tech items. TekServe in NYC or NewEgg and OWC online. About it.