Why the hype about new PB?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by EGT, Apr 19, 2004.

1. EGT macrumors 68000

EGT

From 1.25ghz to 1.50ghz? Will the increase in processing power make a big difference?

(I'm just green with envy cus i've had the "older" PB for less than a month....)

B*st*rds :mad: :rolleyes:
    No i love apple really. They did send me 2 powerbooks after all, when i only asked for 1!

2. Capt Underpants macrumors 68030

Capt Underpants

Did you end up returning the other one?

3. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

i think the hype is over the fact that apple has come out and started to update its products finally which people have been waiting for....hopefully the iMac and the PM will seen updates soon as well.....

4. baby duck monge macrumors 68000

baby duck monge

if not, i volunteer to take the other one off his hand in exchange for not telling apple about it. :D

5. EGT thread starter macrumors 68000

EGT

Not yet. It is still sitting here unopened. I haven't got round to sorting it out yet but i do intend on returning it. What use is 2 PowerBooks? 1 is more than enough :p I'll ring apple and get the courier to come back and they'll return it.

I can't keep it, i'd feel guilty. They'd probably notice after a while and then charge me for the 2nd one.

But anyway, i thought the update to the powerbooks would be major i.e. new design or a huge increase in CPU, but 1.25 - 1.50 isn’t that much i don’t think.
    The new FX card is good and the better RAM :)

6. yamabushi macrumors 65816

yamabushi

A 20% increase in clock speed is pretty good in my book. :)

7. rueyeet macrumors 65816

rueyeet

Well, if nothing else, the hype tells the PowerBook G5 rumors to go away for a while (that, and Joswiak's statement that it's going to be a thoroughly vague "while" before they get a G5 into a portable).

8. Mantat macrumors 6502a

Ehh.. have you checked the video card? This is the upgrade IMHO! The new cards are top of the line for laptops! Also, the faster HD are good too... Over all, the new PB are more than 20% faster

9. Nny macrumors regular

Nny

Oh yeah... it runs hotter now. And has a shorter battery life.

That's the trade-off for faster proccessing power.

10. Mantat macrumors 6502a

And from where are you getting this information? Try to stay with the facts. Until people test the new PB, we cant talk much about battery life. Anyways, anyone with a PB knows that the battery duration is more related to OSX than the CPU... I just wish that they finaly fix this issue and that I can get my 4h battery back :-S

11. aswitcher macrumors 603

aswitcher

Yeah I really want to see benchmarks for the 17" 1.33 64VRAM vs the 17" 1.5 128VRAM (both with 5400rpm HDs) playing Halo, UT4, etc for performance, heat and battery life...

12. Capt Underpants macrumors 68030

Capt Underpants

There's a thread here, with a question about a new 12" 1.33 GHz PB. He says he's gettin' 5 hours of battery life. I hope that this is true of all new powerbooks. That would kick! I hope someone can review one of these suckers soon.

13. Nny macrumors regular

Nny

It's called common sense. Laws of physics and all that jazz.

14. EGT thread starter macrumors 68000

EGT

I've just read about apple turning the G5 CPU into notebook form for the powerbooks. Now that's what im talking about!

I'd wait a few years to see that; it'd be worth it!! :D

15. Capt Underpants macrumors 68030

Capt Underpants

Still, no one will know for sure on battry life until someone does some testing....

16. stoid macrumors 601

stoid

If Apple put a higher density battery in the new ones then they could easily compensate for a higher drain.

17. EGT thread starter macrumors 68000

EGT

Higher density battery = bigger battery unit so the dimensons of the laptop case itself would probably have to be changed. I think it's the same battery as the previous PBs

18. powerbook4me macrumors member

Nope, different battery.

edit: trying to find a link where I saw this....

Ah, no link needed, but the older PBs had a 46watt battery. New ones have a 50watt.

19. Ozi macrumors regular

Ozi

yah in almost every respect the new 12" are better pBooks. Also, you can now get superdrive in your 12", whereas before it was only an option in 15" and 17" models.

20. Palad1 macrumors 6502a

Palad1

there : http://www.apple.com/powerbook/specs.html

there's a comparison chart between revb/revc pb on the developer specs paper. Can't find it though :(
    ----
    Battery and power

* 50-watt-hour lithium-ion battery (with integrated charge indicator LEDs) providing up to 5 hours of battery life (12-inch models) (8)
    * 50-watt-hour lithium-ion battery (with integrated charge indicator LEDs) providing up to 4.5 hours of battery life (15-inch models) (8)
    * 58-watt-hour lithium-ion battery (with integrated charge indicator LEDs) providing up to 4.5 hours of battery life (17-inch model) (8)
    * 45W power adapter with cable management system (12-inch models)
    * 65W power adapter with cable management system (15-inch and 17-inch models)
    * Power adapter port

21. invaLPsion macrumors 65816

invaLPsion

Does anybody know how fast the 9700M is in the powerbooks? Did they use the slow or the fast version? (They better have used fast. :mad: )

I am hoping that my new 17 inch powerbook will be able to play games like Warcraft III, UT2K4, and COD when it comes out. I think it will.... :D