Why the Tea Party isn't going anywhere

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by jnpy!$4g3cwk, Dec 29, 2013.

1. macrumors 6502a

jnpy!$4g3cwk

There was a depressing article in the Atlantic that I thought would be worth debating.

http://www.theatlantic.com/politics/archive/2013/12/why-the-tea-party-isnt-going-anywhere/282591/

A huge amount of money continues to flow, and, it continues to have the desired polarizing effect, even if many of the Tea Party causes and candidates remain unpopular and have often been defeated. The early part of the struggle has been to silence or to drive moderate Republicans out of office, and, that has worked.

2. macrumors 601

Technarchy

The funny thing about the Tea Party is there really is no such thing.

It's an amalgamation of people pissed off at Bush bailouts, Ron Paul libertarians, Occupy Wallstreet types who are sick of corporate influence on politics and corruption, anti globalists, anti interventionists, and Koch Brother stooges.

It's not quite like the 2nd generation Neo-Left liberals which is completely married to the democrat party.

The mix of Tea Party characters is causing all types of havoc for establishment Neo-cons and ripping the GOP in half because the origin and consensus among the "tea party" really doesn't exist other than government on a whole is out of control.

3. macrumors regular

jkcerda

NICE comparison, I have been to TEA party rallies and I do understand the gripes from the OWS protestors

4. macrumors 6502

Jesla

Depressing?....Hardly, we need more like Ted Cruz.

Some of the best news I've heard in awhile....

----------

You got a source for this?.....or is this just more made-up leftist wind?

5. macrumors 601

Technarchy

Total leftism. I'm one of the biggest leftists in PRSI.

6. macrumors regular

jkcerda

would that be the same Ted Cruz who has a wife that works & benefits from wall street? same cruz that helped in the shutdown & then folded like a cheap set of cards? no thanks.

7. macrumors 604

chrono1081

I'm going to assume you're being sarcastic but if not...do you know anything about Ted Cruz?

8. Jesla, Jan 1, 2014
    Last edited: Jan 1, 2014

macrumors 6502

Jesla

Well, I know he's not a leftist weenie....... so I'd say you assumed wrong.....

Kinda makes me wonder how often you mistakenly assume to know things you
    don't know.....doesn't it.

9. macrumors G3

Huntn

It's everyone get to the polls and vote or get what your lack of interest deserves. I'm an elderly white male who knows the Tea Party is no grass roots organization, but one created and funded by billionaires with an agenda: how to hang on to "MY" money with a motto: Society, you can sink or swim on your own.

10. Technarchy, Jan 1, 2014
    Last edited: Jan 1, 2014

macrumors 601

Technarchy

It's certainly one component of the Tea Party movement, but it's the part with the deepest pockets which buys a lot of influence and highjacks legitimate feelings about government spending and abuse, and makes the narrative about deregulation, and tax laws that only benefit the wealthy.

What is going to be real interesting is the GOP primaries in 2016, when the libertarians, Tea partiers and establishment Neo-Cons engage in complete scorched earth civil war