Why the UK small-charity sector will not be switching

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by Blue Velvet, Mar 2, 2005.

1. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

I bring you a genuine insider mini-scoop although it's not really about Apple... it's about Microsoft.

This news hasn't been made public yet but I'll spill the beans anyway. As an employee in a large UK national charity, I was made privy to this news today -- this actually affects our own income for reasons I will not go into here.

Microsoft have decided to give away the first 50 licences to any UK charity free. That includes OSs, Office & other apps... absolutely free -- a massive saving to small & medium-sized charities.

Before, they had discount-licensing but this will be a huge give-away.

Many people in the office were saying 'Good for the sector' but I also see the PR & strategic value for MS here. They appear to be the good guys, get the kudos and yet effectively, and with the power of a monopoly, lock people in to a MS solution for years to come...

What could unfold from this, is anyone's guess. Extend it globally and also to education authorities -- free stuff for everyone.

Crafty buggers.

2. WinterMute Moderator emeritus

WinterMute

Didn't they try that in Germany with the Federal government systems?

The German's did the right thing and shot them out the saddle on security issues apparently, maybe the Charity sector will do the same thing (not).

3. superbovine macrumors 68030

superbovine

I have always found free to be very expensive.

4. JoeUK macrumors member

Billy Gates give loads to charity. Usually it's money though, not Windows.

5. Jaffa Cake macrumors Core

Jaffa Cake

See – wasn't that honorary Knighthood worth it? :D

6. varmit macrumors 68000

varmit

Well, couldn't you still switch to macs, then just get free MS Office? What could unfold from this? Locking people into an MS OS and MS Office products. Once you are on their platform, they then make it so you can't leave it. So you might want to jump ship now, or you will have a pain in the *ss later when you find MS's OS is still not secure.

7. tersono macrumors 68000

tersono

Hmm - I work for a small UK charity. We just bought our first 3 Macs.... :p

8. Blue Velvet thread starter Moderator emeritus

Good on you -- we also have a few Macs. :)

But as I say, this isn't even an announced policy yet... if you guys are thinking of getting Office 2004, wait for a few weeks to see how this pans out.