Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

glib

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 7, 2006
Are there really that many automated bots trying to leech of your search that this is truly necessary? I find it really gets in the way when I'm trying to search the forums for something, as this process often involes typing in a string, checking the results, finding new keywords to add to it, removing old keywords that brought up wrong results, and refining the search further. Having to type a string each time is really quite annoying, and this is the only forum that I belong to that I need to do that for.

There have been a few instances where the search aggrivated me to the point where I just gave up and posted a new thread to ask the question; I don't think I'm the only one that has given up this way.

arn

macrumors god
Staff member
Apr 9, 2001
Are there really that many automated bots trying to leech of your search that this is truly necessary? I find it really gets in the way when I'm trying to search the forums for something, as this process often involes typing in a string, checking the results, finding new keywords to add to it, removing old keywords that brought up wrong results, and refining the search further. Having to type a string each time is really quite annoying, and this is the only forum that I belong to that I need to do that for.

There have been a few instances where the search aggrivated me to the point where I just gave up and posted a new thread to ask the question; I don't think I'm the only one that has given up this way.

There should be no Verification String required if you are logged in. That being said, you may be right that it may not be a big deal to turn it off.

arn

TheAnswer

macrumors 68030
Jan 25, 2002
Orange County, CA
There should be no Verification String required if you are logged in. That being said, you may be right that it may not be a big deal to turn it off.

arn

Arn, any way to add some text to the Verification String box that let's searchers know that if they are logged in, they don't have to go through that process? Something along the lines of "To avoid this verification step in the future, please log in prior to searching".

Just a thought.

Mr Skills

macrumors 6502a
Nov 21, 2005
I don't know if I'm just a bit thick, but I find this a particularly difficult verification string. I sometimes have to attempt it 3 or 4 times!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.