Why things going mainstream sucks, playfair, anime etc. (RANT!)

Discussion in 'Community' started by AhmedFaisal, Apr 10, 2004.

1. AhmedFaisal Guest

Be warned before you read any further. This is partially, completely, totally, utterly and finally a RANT. If you don't care for such, don't waste your time...
    With that said, here goes:

I recently went to a local Mac retailer and noticed, OMFG! the same type of people that I used to see at the store where I buy computer components. You know them, the Kiddies. That bunch of baggy pants wearing, chewing gum chewing, funny hairstyle having kiddies that talk loud annoying l33t speak and brag about how they h4x0r3d their boxes to run gazzillion frames per second faster than anyone else.
    I was like ***** NOOOOOO, not Macs too now! :eek:
    Next thing I will see is a ****ING Window Kit for the G5 with neon lights that make it look like a friggin hooker's car!*. Although I don't want Apple ever to go bankrupt, I sure as hell don't want those ****ty pimplefaces in the boat :mad: .
    I just got my piece of software and went to the local anime store to grab some mangas and check for some artbooks. Alas, my day was ruined again, as I forgot something....
    Thanks to Sailor Moon, Dragon Ball and a bunch of other ****ty shows, Anime is now mainstream too and the place was crowded with the same ****ty folks that I mentioned above :mad: . I used to be around back in the old days, when this specific anime store was a little place in a backstreet and most stuff was imported, but hey, it felt like family, who cared about the price. Now you just go in and grab your stuff and leave because no one can stand those ****ing retards that hang out there :eek: .
    Same goes to the anime channels on IRC. I am not talking about the fansub distros, those are and were always for leeching and not for talking. No, I am talking about the fanfiction places which were nerdy and funny back in those days 8 years ago and where most fanfics written were really awesome (anyone here been to the tenchi-fanfic channel on DALnet back then?). Now its mostly badly written crap by kiddies less literate than my 5 year old niece. Kids who saw the show or more the hackjob they made out of it on toonami and who talk as if they know it all even though they don't know **** about it!
    Another example is the Evangelion forums. Back in its days, you could talk about the philosophy behind it, good fanfics were written and people were trying to find the hidden clues in the show. Now on all the MLs, every goddamn forum and every IRC channel its kiddies talking "In a fight who would win? Kaworu or Spiderman". **** YOU KID the show is NOT about ****ING FIGHTING you DOLT and this question is getting ****ING old, ****ING SCRAM!!!!!!!!!!!
    As a last resort I go home scan the iTunes music store and grab some stuff with my US creditcard and think about kicking back and enjoying the music over my ROKU Soundbridge hooked to my stereo system....
    BUT! The thing is Apple's DRM doesn't allow the ROKU which is a streaming client to play iTMS files.... darn, so I grab playfair and convert the files into standart AACs while I read the posts on macrumors about it... :eek:
    And I freeze by the lack of knowledge and understanding the difference between burn&reripping and stripping displayed there. But I digress.
    Do I agree with Apple to go after the project with a C&D order, yes I do. BUT I totally do not agree with Apple's policy of not licencing the technology to anyone else. I ****ING payed for the music, I PAYED for my Mac and for my iPod. You got my money Apple, now ****ing stop telling me I can't play MY music on any friggin device I wish to play it on! DRM only makes sense and is acceptable if it is not vendor specific, otherwise Apple, you are no different to those lousy crooks at Real and Microsoft and any other monopolist :mad: How does it feel to play in the same league as the RIAA/M$ crooks Steve?
    Again, this was a RANT and most stuff came out harsher than I actually mean it, just needed to vent off some steam....
    Cheers,

Ahmed

2. vollspacken macrumors 65816

vollspacken

man, c'mon, format your text, there's no way I'm gonna read that...

vSpacken

3. AhmedFaisal thread starter Guest

There ya go... the super deluxe, 28 inch, ethnic special ingredients for two... *cough* I shouldn't watch Patlabor so late at night... hope its a better read now...
    Cheers,

Ahmed

4. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

That's the improved version? Maybe you should be working on your English skills--you must be a native speaker.

8 years ago? That's new anime to me. They never should have put subtitles or dubbing on anime. Then, it would barely be popular in English-speaking countries at all. I'm not sure what's wrong with Dragonball Z, other than it doesn't reflect your point of view. Most Japanese media will certainly not reflect the attitude of westerners in any case.

As far as more people in the Apple world, I welcome them. We need more, especially gamers. Maybe you should buy one of the new Amiga systems. ;)

5. AhmedFaisal thread starter Guest

Give me a break, its 3AM here in Germany. I don't write Economist style assays at that hour.... :p

I have been into anime way before that, but about 8 years ago is when it started going mainstream in the west and when the community on the web went to hell with it. Dragonball, lets say two things, the animation is ****ty quality and the story is needlessly dragged out, you could pack the "story" of DB in about one tenth of the episodes without missing anything essential. And I don't even give it the credit of being an older show, there is older shows around that were equally long and much better quality, KOR, Urusei Yatsura and Lone Wolf and Cub to name 3. I don't mind subbing as long as the subs are well done. Dubs I agree are an abomination though, I think my granny on the toilet puts more emotion into it than the US or German voice actors.

Ya know.... probably Hurd will be out sooner than Amiga OS 4..... :eek: Anyways, no, I don't want people in the boat that judge Apple on its Quake performance and even less I want to see a G5 with neon lights and a l33t Window Kit. Leave the games to the PC and the gamesystems, please.... or do you want to see a bunch of those kiddos swamp the next MacWorld? If you ever were at the Systems in Munich or the CeBit, you know you don't want that.
    Cheers,

Ahmed

6. medea macrumors 68030

medea

Wow, you mean everyone doesn't talk, dress or act like you do plus they have the audacity to shop at the same stores as you and they also use macs? And this nonsense about shows being on television that are not catered to you and only you? Geez the nerve of people these days, I feel for you man you have it rough.

7. AhmedFaisal thread starter Guest

1. You obviously have not read the warning... its a R.A.N.T.
    2. No, I don't mind people shopping where I shop, or watching what I watch or what they watch as long as they <quote Dennis Leary> pull up their pants </quote Dennis Leary> and stop talking like <quote Dennis Leary> card carrying members of the Wu-Tang Clan </quote Dennis Leary> which they are not.
    3. I do admit I should have made the irony tags bigger....

Ahmed

8. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

Okay, okay. I'll upload one break to you since you're in Germany. :)

I really do want more users on Macintosh, especially gamers because I'd like to see better hardware, lower prices, and more of the best games. No, I've not been to Systems or CeBit, but I can imagine.

I keep reading about Amiga, but I see that Atari systems are coming along too. I'd like to revive my old software but by now, GEM and Intuition are outdated. Sometimes, I feel that Aqua is outdated too. Oh well.

9. Wash!! macrumors 6502

<quote> have been into anime way before that, but about 8 years ago is when it started going mainstream in the west and when the community on the web went to hell with it./>quote

Japanese animation is been mainstream everywhere other than the US, I grew watching and I mean the whole unedited not US animation is only for children crap that show here, Dragonball Z as well as any other anime show that makes to the air ways is butchered for been able to broadcast on US tv.

There a lot of great show and movies that are as good if not better than real life actors. It is a shame that the US with "political correct" you can offend anyone they will never be seen here...

Cheers

10. timmyOtool macrumors member

its a good thing you didn't grow up in Seattle during the early 90s.

11. LethalWolfe macrumors G3

LethalWolfe

AhmedFaisal ,

Stop being lazy and go out and find other unpopular things to hold dear. ;)

Lethal

12. themadchemist macrumors 68030

themadchemist

I recommend clogs.