Why this hardcore OmniWeb fan is leaving

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by Beej, Jun 25, 2002.

1. Beej macrumors 68020

Beej

This is a bit of a rant from the POV of a hardcore OmniWeb fan who's switched to Mozilla. There was oringinally no intent to rant, but it hasn't turned out that way... :D

Hi there folks. As most (if not all) of you know, I'm pretty hardcore about things. I'm a hardcore Mac lover, a hardcore Avitarist ;), and up until recently, a super-hardcore OmniWeb fan.

When Mozilla 1.0 came out, I decided to see what all the fuss was about and give it a go. The first thing I noticed was that it was ugly, but that was quickly fixed with the 'pinstripe' theme. The second thing I noticed was that it was FAST. The third thing I noticed was that tabs rock!

I used it for more than a couple of hours without throwing it in the trash... the longest I've ever managed to use a non-OmniWeb browser in OS X.

But there were a few bugs and quite a few annoyances that popped up over the next few days. I decided to make a list of reasons why I was going to stay with OmniWeb and thow Mozilla in the trash just like every other browser.

A day or two ago, when OmniWeb 4.1 was released, I d/l'ed it straight away and glad to get back to it. I love the spell checker, and I love the interface. But after an hour or so, I've come back to Mozilla! I can't believe what I am doing. :eek:

The fact of the matter is OmniWeb is slow, doesn't have tabs and is no where near as standards-compliant as Mozilla. These three things have been enough to rip me away from my beloved OmniWeb. Sorry Mr. Omni, but you're going to have to do better to keep me as the happy client I once was.

Now, with all that said, I'd still like to share my list of complaints about Mozilla. There are a few things that could make this browser twice as good. If some of these features exist as plugins, skins, or are in new beta builds, please tell me.

OK, so in order of most annoying to least:
    • Spell checker - how about one, Mr. Mozilla? It's a built-in OS X service. Surely it can't be that hard to implement? Plus, you'd be doing my fellow Mac Rumors posters a service... my spelling isn't that good, and I'm too lazy to proof-read!

• Download manager - ha! What download manager? Stop asking me what I want to do with every different type of file! Just put it on my desktop and unstuff it unless I say otherwise. And give me a single window like IE, OW etc.

• I want every link to open up as a tab, unless I say so. [If this is possible, and I just haven't worked out how do to it, please tell me.]

• Option-arrow (in a text box) stops when any form of punctuation is reached... WTF? That really gives me the sh*ts.

• Get some consistent keyboard shortcuts. Command- -> should always go forward! Command- <- should always go back! Don't keep changing the context on me.

• Piss that damned 'thinking' mouse off! Sheesh... how ugly? How annoying?

• Could we get an aqua interface over here, please? The pinstripe theme is good. Include it by default. But I also want my buttons, pull down menus etc to be aqua, not all windozey and boxy. And I want a white background to text boxes, please! Not grey...

• There's a text-highlighting bug to do with tables and dragging out of the window. Fix it. It bugs me.

OK, I'll stop now. But I'm interested to know of others opinions on what I've said, and if anyone has any other things that would make Mozilla better...

2. King Cobra macrumors 603

Let me post on how I feel on the ups and downs of Mozilla as well, problems that cannot be adjusted without a software update. Starting with the downs this time...
    (1) I would like to click once on the link input menu, or whatever it is, to highlight the whole F'n link. It's not that hard.
    (2) I agree on spell check, but I hardly use it.
    (3) I have had the same damn problem since Netscape 6 (yes back to the early 6.01), with scrolling. The scroll bar keeps moving in semi-coordination with my mouse after I release the damn button. Now that deserves a WTF.
    (4) The program takes a long time to load.
    (5) The program has to wait a while for certain preferences to load, especially in the first section.
    (6) In some cases, I cannot type in the link input menu, but I can click there. I sometimes, also, cannot copy the link.
    (7) Some instability.

Now, the ups:
    (1) An excellent competitor for speed.
    (2) Accurate page rendering.
    (3) Improved over the Netscape pop-up menus.

Did I mention speed?

I try not to use IE whenever possible, and OmniWeb in between the two browsers. But Mozilla just has the speed and competition behind it.